C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin's or Continentals

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:32 PM
Ricmarco
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin's or Continentals

In the market for new tires for my GSP, just wanted some feedback on the Michelin pilots or the Continental extreme contacts. I'm not purchasing the run flats. I don't think I can go wrong with either set.

Last edited by Ricmarco; 02-22-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-22-2017, 11:35 PM
D0ppler
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricmarco
In the market for new tires for my GSP, just wanted some feedback on the Michelin pilots or the Continental extreme contacts. I'm not purchasing the run flats. I don't think I can wrong with either set.
I got the michelins pilots good grip and much quieter than the F1.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:12 AM
RDSTORM
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D0ppler
X2 on the Michelins.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Continental is discontinuing that tire. That said, I opted for Michelin PSS myself.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:15 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Michelin's on my Corvette.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:15 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I have the Continentals DWS and are happy with them.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Continental is discontinuing that tire. That said, I opted for Michelin PSS myself.
Which one? The DWS or DW?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:18 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS WON
Which one? The DWS or DW?
Both.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Both.
Will there be any replacements?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS WON
Will there be any replacements?
Yes, I believe the replacements are already on the market, or soon will be if not, but don't recall what they're calling the new line.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:26 AM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by D0ppler
You won't be sorry!

Last edited by PAULEB07; 02-23-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Yes, I believe the replacements are already on the market, or soon will be if not, but don't recall what they're calling the new line.
These tires on now are far far away from being replaced as far as treadwear goes.

Can't go wrong with Michelin you just pay a lot more $$$ is all.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have the Continental DW, now discontinued.

I've road raced with them and they wear fast. I've previously had Bridgestone RE-11 and S04's, both lasted considerably longer.

With that said, my next set will be the Michellin 4s..latest and greatest.

Last edited by BigMonkey73; 02-23-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:38 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Michelin!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:46 AM
KABAL182
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Michelin gets my vote. I agree that the continentals wear out fast and I feel after half the life of the tire ,performance drops off significantly. Performance with Michelin stays pretty true as the tire wears down.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:53 AM
VETYGUD
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Michelin PSS, quiet and better grip.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:04 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
I have the Continental DW, now discontinued.

I've road raced with them and they wear fast. I've previously had Bridgestone RE-11 and S04's, both lasted considerably longer.

With that said, my next set will be the Michellin 4s..latest and greatest.
The DWS tires may have lasted longer but if you are road racing these are all season tires and may not suit that purpose well.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin's or Continentals

Old 02-23-2017, 12:15 PM
FlipRay
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm running DW now. Had PSS before. Opted to change just because of the price difference to be honest. Atleast when I was in the market for tires in Dec, I was saving atleast $100 per tire. That and I think PSS were on backorder in all of the US for a couple of months.

Grip wise, PSS is better when new. My biggest gripe with the DW are the softer sidewalls. Makes the car feel like there's a slight delay when you turn hard on them. Higher air pressure alleviate it some. PSS is a better all around but doesn't mean the DW are bad tires.

PS: Just looked up the price on PSS on tirerack. Looks like they dropped prices on them. I just looked up a set of 275/30-19 and 325/25-20 and they're $1386 out the door. That's cheaper than what I remember them to be. Think they were over $1600 then. I paid $1135 for a set of DW.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:08 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 323 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

The newest Continental on the market now is the DWS-06 A/S. Has been out for some time. For wear and other factors you can't compare an A/S with a summer tire, they are two different animals. A/S much softer compound for colder weather and more sipping for winter grip conditions. Did you know some don't recommend running Summer tires below about 40 degrees, epically aggressively? I'm sure some do it though without problems?

I purchased the Coni DWS-06 last fall from Discount Tire Direct online for about $860, no tax, and doesn't count about $20/tire install. These were stock sizes. If you tell a local Discount store they may match the online price.

At the time of my purchased, the Michelin were said to be just getting up to speed in their A/S tires for the Vette. There is a good video on Tire Rack comparing the three of their best rated A/S, Michelin, Continental, and Pirelli. Breaks down the strong points of all and they are very closely rated overall.

Continental rates their tire over 50K miles but not for staggered sizes because they cannot be rotated and I assume this might be the case for others too.
I would assume because of the softer compound they would wear considerably faster if tracking or consistent aggressive driving because of the tire heat factor and tread design.

Buy A/S or Summer, but don't compare the two. Michelin has become an Corvette synonym and obviously a great tire. If you want to spend, hard to beat them. There are lots of other good choices out there, and how you drive or how much, your budget, probably has to do with your choice and price.

My choice is for low noise, comfortable ride, A/S for general cooler temps and wetter weather in the PNW, a highly rated tire(186mph) and sacrificing some performance of a Summer tire. I don't think I would run A/S in the warmer climates for the wear, tread, and performance factors would not be as good a fit. JMO

Haven't run them enough to comment on wear, but they are very smooth and quieter than the GY RF. Currently getting new shocks, and an alignment and going on a 2500 mile trip. Expect a much better ride from reviews on the Coni's especially vs the RF's. Had Pirellis A/S on my C5 and they were great too. Had larger sizes than stock and did feel a bit of hydroplaning at legal speeds when hitting standing or heavy rain water. For that reason i'm sticking with the stock size for now.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 02-23-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:53 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I have these tires and really like them for an all around tire ,,, I keep the air up a little to help the sidewalls ,
I have driven them a lot in the rain on my trip to the grand canyon and trips to the la area the recent months and must say they have been great ... but now with the prices of the mpss coming down I ma have to get another set for the summer... I loved them on my sc'ed coupe..the contis do well with my cammed gs traction is good and no noise.

so no matter which tire you pick for your needs youll have a good tire

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
The newest Continental on the market now is the DWS-06 A/S. Has been out for some time. For wear and other factors you can't compare an A/S with a summer tire, they are two different animals. A/S much softer compound for colder weather and more sipping for winter grip conditions. Did you know some don't recommend running Summer tires below about 40 degrees, epically aggressively? I'm sure some do it though without problems?

I purchased the Coni DWS-06 last fall from Discount Tire Direct online for about $860, no tax, and doesn't count about $20/tire install. These were stock sizes. If you tell a local Discount store they may match the online price.

At the time of my purchased, the Michelin were said to be just getting up to speed in their A/S tires for the Vette. There is a good video on Tire Rack comparing the three of their best rated A/S, Michelin, Continental, and Pirelli. Breaks down the strong points of all and they are very closely rated overall.

Continental rates their tire over 50K miles but not for staggered sizes because they cannot be rotated and I assume this might be the case for others too.
I would assume because of the softer compound they would wear considerably faster if tracking or consistent aggressive driving because of the tire heat factor and tread design.

Buy A/S or Summer, but don't compare the two. Michelin has become an Corvette synonym and obviously a great tire. If you want to spend, hard to beat them. There are lots of other good choices out there, and how you drive or how much, your budget, probably has to do with your choice and price.

My choice is for low noise, comfortable ride, A/S for general cooler temps and wetter weather in the PNW, and sacrificing some performance of a Summer tire. I don't think I would run A/S in the warmer climates for the wear, tread, and performance factors would not be as good a fit. JMO

Haven't run them enough to comment on wear, but they are very smooth and quieter than the GY RF. Currently getting new shocks, and an alignment and going on a 2500 mile trip. Expect a much better ride from reviews on the Coni's especially vs the RF's. Had Pirellis A/S on my C5 and they were great too.

Quick Reply: Michelin's or Continentals