C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:24 PM
willem wallace
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C'mon

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
When I park in spots just like the average Joe, people understand that I'm not a stuckup snob who thinks he's special. I do however avoid parking between two pickups or SUV's, so I can see to get out if they're still there when I want to leave. When possible, I like to pull through to a facing spot to have more visibility when leaving. Nine years, 141K miles, and never a parking lot scratch.
Do I think I am a stuckup snob, better than everyone else. No! Not even close. What I do think is, when the inconsiderate fuktards, who will open their doors full tilt into your car, like its the accepted method of parking lot etiquette, the doped up drunkard, who back into your car and drive off, because they figure that's what bumpers are for, the jealous people who think that because I have a car that they wish they had, I probably was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. They do not think about the work and time involved for a blue collar guy to be able to take a 60 month note to pay for his passion. When people like you stop painting with a broad brush, I'll start parking next to your space in the parking lot!!!
The following users liked this post:
ddame2 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-27-2017, 01:30 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by willem wallace
Do I think I am a stuckup snob, better than everyone else. No! Not even close. What I do think is, when the inconsiderate fuktards, who will open their doors full tilt into your car, like its the accepted method of parking lot etiquette, the doped up drunkard, who back into your car and drive off, because they figure that's what bumpers are for, the jealous people who think that because I have a car that they wish they had, I probably was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. They do not think about the work and time involved for a blue collar guy to be able to take a 60 month note to pay for his passion. When people like you stop painting with a broad brush, I'll start parking next to your space in the parking lot!!!
Wow! Listen to yourself. You park away from other people, yet you say you're not better than others.
In the same breath you believe there are "jealous people who think that because I have a car that they wish they had, I probably was born with a silver spoon in my mouth."
The "jealous people", the "inconsiderate fuktards", and the "doped up drunkard", are the ones you give the impression that you are special and better than them, because you DO park away from them. They don't know anything about you except what they see in your actions.

My point was that I park among average people and my actions are seen as being an average person with a maybe nice car.

Maybe people in my area are more considerate, however I've parked in nearly every State in the country and never had a scratch.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:54 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Surprisingly I have yet to run into this issue. I usually park with everyone else but when I do park far away the only cars that park next to me are other sport/luxury cars.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:55 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
That's not violent, that's passive-aggressive. That means you don't confront anyone, but keep it inside, then get even when no one is around.

Violent would be calling the guy out, opening a can of whoop-*** on him, slamming his head through his car window, then making love to his woman while he watched.
Why can't I do both.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
People park next to you because they know you won't ding THEIR doors.
Or because it's a parking lot and they can park anywhere on it as well.
bgspot (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 AM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Like previous post referred to, valve stem removal. Do both tires as most only carrie one spare tire. I have had to crawl thru passenger side and over console because of someone playing a joke or whatever to park up against driver side. The valve stem is out in seconds and joke on them, C-ya.....
Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 903 Posts

I park as far out as I can, but decently and in my lane even with no other cars around. I do BC I like the extra exercise walking the distance to the door. I am in excellent health for my age and I take full advantage of the large parking lots. BTW, I also park my Jeep GC with 200K miles on it out there too for the same reason. And in multi-storied buildings I take the stairs when I can.

In my area, a Corvette is not viewed that much as a luxury car or anything special. I know that is not the case in other areas.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 02-27-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:51 AM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by SixAddict
Like previous post referred to, valve stem removal. Do both tires as most only carrie one spare tire. I have had to crawl thru passenger side and over console because of someone playing a joke or whatever to park up against driver side. The valve stem is out in seconds and joke on them, C-ya.....
Do you carry a valve stem remover on your key chain or glovebox?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:19 AM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Do you carry a valve stem remover on your key chain or glovebox?
keep it in the console.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:57 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I think a lot of people are overreacting here. The truth is people can park wherever they want as long as its inside a parking spot and they are respectful of other people's property that may be parked along side them. The problem is that people are not always respectful or mindful of other cars in parking lots. And regardless of what some others say, it happens all the time. And even if the driver is careful and respectful, it doesn't mean their passengers or kids are not going to have a lapse in judgment and damage someone else's property. Also, people that squeeze their cars into tight parking spots or super close to another car are obviously not too concerned about their own cars so why would they be overly concerned about yours or why should you trust them to be. That's why people choose to park far away all by themselves to avoid any potential problem or risk. It doesn't mean that anyone thinks they are better than anyone else, it just means that they might care a little more than the other person. And if someone does park next to me, fine, but just don't hit my car and leave me enough room to comfortably get into my car, otherwise a person does have a right to get upset.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 02-27-2017 at 11:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TorchRedFred:
bgspot (02-27-2017), stingray71 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 01:31 AM
Kevin Tate
4th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
People park next to you because they know you won't ding THEIR doors.
Exactly!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:55 AM
LsLegacy
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I'm going to assume this is photoshopped, but, had this ever been me, or if this ever happens, I'm going to have my buddy make two cars disappear.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:35 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Some people pay attention to how they are opening their car doors and others not so much.

I always park defensively. I'll look for end spots so only one side is exposed. You can always tell where the employees are asked to park and if I know where this area is, I will park there since you don't have cars coming and going.

I don't do this because of my Vette though. I've parked this way with every car or truck I have owned. I hate dents and paint damage.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:41 PM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
Some people pay attention to how they are opening their car doors and others not so much.

I always park defensively. I'll look for end spots so only one side is exposed. You can always tell where the employees are asked to park and if I know where this area is, I will park there since you don't have cars coming and going.

I don't do this because of my Vette though. I've parked this way with every car or truck I have owned. I hate dents and paint damage.

I do the same with all mine
Old 02-28-2017, 03:00 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Maybe people in my area are more considerate, however I've parked in nearly every State in the country and never had a scratch.

I've had cars dented in parking lots, both times in California, both times well over $1000 in damage. I park as far away from oblivious, hit-and-run drivers as I can. If that makes me a snob, so be it.
ddame2 (02-21-2018)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:50 AM
LT123GO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Parked in a restaurant parking lot in Arlington...very back lot. No other cars in this particular lot. Went in, ate, came back out. Probably an hour or so. Parked next to my car was a pos Ford Bronco, probably early 60's. It was so close, I could not get in my car. Couldn't even walk between the two. No other cars in the lot, and there were plenty of empty places to park. Had to get in from the passenger side of the car and climb over the console.
Oh man, I've had that happen to me before and I go back in the restaurant and yell across the dining room, "who owns the bronco parked next to my Corvette!!?? Your too close to my car and I can't get in! MOVE IT! 👹
Old 08-01-2017, 12:43 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
When I park in spots just like the average Joe, people understand that I'm not a stuckup snob who thinks he's special....
That's one thing about Corvettes that aggravates me. People being judgy.

I don't do anything different with my Vette than any other car I've owned. Nobody ever gave a second glance when I parked my Nissan Sentra, Ford Bronco or Jeep Wrangler way out by itself. Nobody ever thought I was a snob because I washed and waxed those vehicles every week to keep them looking nice.

I didn't buy my Vette to impress anyone. I bought it because it's an awesome performance value and it's damn fun to drive.

I always have parked my cars way out away from other cars because there are people out there who will just throw their doors open and couldn't care less about the damage to the car next to them. I've learned that the hard way.

So I'm a stuckup snob because I like to drive a fun car and I take good care of it? What's wrong with people that think like that?

Last edited by dmk0210; 08-01-2017 at 12:45 PM.
buckmeister2 (08-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:32 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Dmk, I agree completely!

Here is a picture of my car parked at Sams Club. If you can zoom in you'll see my car parked all by it self.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:49 PM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I've never had this issue. I've never had someone park next to me, but I do go out of my way to park away from others. If I can't park at least 50 parking spots away from others I will park across the street. I think people here are too lazy to walk the distance to park near me.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:51 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

In addition to my Corvette I have a few vehicles I assume many people on here would call beaters or trash. For example my most common vehicle I drive is a rusted 1985 Chevy S-10 and I will park in the back of lots next to nice cars routinely. I park strait though and am very careful with my doors. Since it is an older solid rusty car I also make sure I park extra close to anyone who parks over the lines.

Quick Reply: Is your Corvette a parking lot magnet?