C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette won't shut off please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:12 AM
sunburstLS3
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The electrical system in a car is one big circuit. When you introduce something new into that circuit, unexpected things can happen.

Either undo whatever it is you did and put it back together. OR maybe the car is in some kind of theft 'protection mode'. Like 15 years ago, I was sitting at a train crossing in my camaro 6-speed. I shut the car off. I was on a hill, and for some reason with the car off, I let the car roll a few feet while it was off and in neutral. When the railroad crossing bar moved up, I went to start the car up and couldn't. Luckily I was on a hill and was able to coast in neutral over to the side of the road. I had to wait about 10 minutes. A cop even pulled up behind me and asked if I was having trouble. I told him it what the deal was, 'anti-theft'. He said, "Wow, that's a really cool feature!". He drove away. My car started up and drove home.

So yea, there's all kinds of strange logic built into automotive electrical systems. Adding something new into a circuit while a car is in neutral or whatever could send it off in some kind of weird mode.

And on a side note, I drove that chevy camaro for about 5 years as a daily driver. Never had a single problem with it. It was a solid reliable car. Just couldn't drive it if it snowed.

Last edited by sunburstLS3; 02-25-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:21 AM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I believe he means that the power in the car won't shut off. Mine does this when it can't read the fob. For instance if I have the accessory power on while working inside the car and I walk away for some reason and set my fob on the table, when I go back to the car it won't let me shut off the accessory power until I bring the fob back in the car.
The following users liked this post:
Bruze (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:38 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by poughkeepsie
I believe he means that the power in the car won't shut off. Mine does this when it can't read the fob. For instance if I have the accessory power on while working inside the car and I walk away for some reason and set my fob on the table, when I go back to the car it won't let me shut off the accessory power until I bring the fob back in the car.
So since the car isnt reading his fobs he just needs to put his in the glovebox slot to turn it off?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:10 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Old 02-25-2017, 06:14 AM
Kipprc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Current update. Car is completely off. Battery is unhooked. Car was put back in park NY manually adjusting the park lock out tab. Battery was allowed to charge over night. This morning that park lock out tab is getting pinned back and I will drop the battery back in. Fingers crossed that the car recognizes the key fobs.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:18 AM
Kipprc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by User Omega
So since the car isnt reading his fobs he just needs to put his in the glovebox slot to turn it off?
Tried that yesterday and it wouldn't work. In fact I kept the key on the dash the entire time out of fear of the fob fobs being forgot by the car. The only way I was able to cut electric was to disconnect the battery.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:49 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Car worked fine before you connected your amp correct?

Then obviously you screwed something up. Re-check your wiring.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:38 AM
Kipprc
Intermediate

OK, I got it all worked out. Now I have had a talk with car and we have come to an understanding (joking). Basically this is what happened. The battery was removed to tap through the grommet in the fire wall. I had begun working on the center console to get to the aftermarket radio outputs. I needed the car in neutral to clear the console. Somewhere right there I screwed up and found myself in push to start hell. The shifter was locked out of park and some how during the process the battery was pretty much drained too low to start the car. I got the battery charged over night and I watched a video on how that rinky dink solenoid works. I am in the process of putting everything back together now. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help.

Last edited by Kipprc; 02-25-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:28 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Or you can try what I saw on an old movie awhile back to get it to stop running. Stick a banana in your tailpipe.
Thanks for making my day. I laughed till I hurt. Best response...ever!!!
The following users liked this post:
Biggie G (03-01-2017)

Quick Reply: Corvette won't shut off please help.