C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:48 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Factory Navigation

Hi guys I bought a factory navigation for my C6 a while now, I installed it and the anti theft was activated, I took it to a shop with a Tech 11 and had it programed to cleared the programmable vin, it started working fine, but the navigation is not working.
I did some checking and after speaking to a few friends I was told that the person who cleared the code accidentally cleared the map reader, I don't know if it is possible and if he did, all I know is I need it to work and will like to know if there are any way I can get it to work again by having it reprogram, can the same person who cleared the anti theft code use the same tool to get it working again. The head unit is not reading the navigation disc.
I do have the GM factory disc into the system and its a good working disc because I had it checked with a friend navigation system and its working, my system is saying ' no map data" Everything else is working fine, radio, xm radio, cd, but not the navigation.
Can anyone give me some advice on how I can resolve this problem, I really don't want to change out the factory system, hence the reason I bought this radio from a crash vette so I can still have the factory look with navigation added.

Last edited by TRINIC5; 02-25-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:16 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1579261000

I'm assuming you installed the Gps antenna as well and not just the head unit right?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:25 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

its the diode/laser head,,try cleaning it with a cd disc cleaner or some ''canned air''
Old 02-25-2017, 10:34 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
its the diode/laser head,,try cleaning it with a cd disc cleaner or some ''canned air''
Old 02-25-2017, 10:53 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by slowstang305
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1579261000

I'm assuming you installed the Gps antenna as well and not just the head unit right?
yes I did
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

The laser diode head is not accessible in the OEM Nav system, so there is no way to clean it. I've even tried dissembling it, and still could not get to it.

Many of the factory nav units have had problems reading the map DVD, and it is a known issue with GM. I had mine replaced twice under warranty because of this problem. The last time the dealer told me that they had an "upgraded part number" for them now. He also told me they have seen this same problem with the same Nav system used in Cadillac and other GM models, and that it has been a big problem for GM. I suspect this had a lot to do with the new cars no longer using a DVD for the map data, and instead using physical memory.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I just did everything asked and still saying no map data, when I removed the disc its saying install disc, when I install the disc it is probably reading it because the message install disc is cleared but still saying NO MAP DATA, there are no stored destination and no stored home address.
Can it be something pertaining to the disc or the program to read the disc?
Old 02-25-2017, 11:01 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by CSixDude
The laser diode head is not accessible in the OEM Nav system, so there is no way to clean it. I've even tried dissembling it, and still could not get to it.

Many of the factory nav units have had problems reading the map DVD, and it is a known issue with GM. I had mine replaced twice under warranty because of this problem. The last time the dealer told me that they had an "upgraded part number" for them now. He also told me they have seen this same problem with the same Nav system used in Cadillac and other GM models, and that it has been a big problem for GM. I suspect this had a lot to do with the new cars no longer using a DVD for the map data, and instead using physical memory.
do you know what was the upgraded part number and what part has to be changed?
Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Unless you bought it new maybe it was broken already when you bought it.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:02 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

You could try compressed air to blow it out. Don't just use a can of air, but an air hose connected to a compressor cranked up to 80 PSI. I also use a CD lens cleaner made by Philips. It's basicially a dummy CD with mini brushes on it to wipe your laser lens clean.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:56 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
do you know what was the upgraded part number and what part has to be changed?
The part number for the entire unit changed. I have no idea what was changed internally.

My gut feeling is that it isn't a problem with the laser head getting dirty at all, but is more likely an issue with the output from it becoming too weak or dim to read a dual layer disc properly. Dual layer discs require a higher output laser to read them.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:54 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
I just did everything asked and still saying no map data, when I removed the disc its saying install disc, when I install the disc it is probably reading it because the message install disc is cleared but still saying NO MAP DATA, there are no stored destination and no stored home address.
Can it be something pertaining to the disc or the program to read the disc?
I feel your pain. I purchased a nav unit for my last '08 vert. Once I installed it and got through the dealer programming hassle I had the same results. I tried all of the recommended fixes but no joy. I finally gave up on it. I hope that you have better results.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:43 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Originally Posted by bonnell
I feel your pain. I purchased a nav unit for my last '08 vert. Once I installed it and got through the dealer programming hassle I had the same results. I tried all of the recommended fixes but no joy. I finally gave up on it. I hope that you have better results.
I am just about doing the same, I paid $500.00 for this unit used, paid $40.00 to clear the code and I just bought another Disc for $150.00 and is not about to put another dollar into this crap, its worst than depositing money into the Hairy Bank with no interest.

Last edited by TRINIC5; 02-26-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:14 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Unless you bought it new maybe it was broken already when you bought it.
Only paying $500 is always a possibility. One thing also is if I'm not mistaken you have to match the nav with the car. I don't think they're all the same.

Last edited by saplumr; 02-26-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Only paying $500 is always a possibility. One thing also is if I'm not mistaken you have to match the nav with the car. I don't think they're all the same.
Clearing the serial number with a TECH II serves to match the NAV to the car as it will marry to the new car as soon as it is started

OP , can you borrow a disk .....the disks can go bad and be unreadable

Also , did you install a VSS wire ?

Dave
Old 02-26-2017, 10:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Clearing the serial number with a TECH II serves to match the NAV to the car as it will marry to the new car as soon as it is started

OP , can you borrow a disk .....the disks can go bad and be unreadable

Also , did you install a VSS wire ?

Dave
I had to replace mine years ago because I thought is was bad only to find out it was some of my home made cd's. I had to give my VIN to the dealer to assure correct radio.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by saplumr
I had to replace mine years ago because I thought is was bad only to find out it was some of my home made cd's. I had to give my VIN to the dealer to assure correct radio.
Not sure why u were asked for the vin ,I can assure you that there was only one Nav radio for 2010 and down and the usb Nav radio for 2011 and up .... both are interchangeable

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Navigation

Old 02-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Not sure why u were asked for the vin ,I can assure you that there was only one Nav radio for 2010 and down and the usb Nav radio for 2011 and up .... both are interchangeable

Dave
A lot of dealer parts guys automatically ask for your VIN because it will tell them what options are on the car so they get the correct parts. They can't know all of the options possibilities or running changes made during a model year.

Or possibly if they were going to install the new radio, do they need to input the VIN into the Tech2 to match the radio/car?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:45 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Mine recently was replaced under warranty on my 08. the cost of a new unit was over $2000. It works fine. The old unit would not even read the disc.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
A lot of dealer parts guys automatically ask for your VIN because it will tell them what options are on the car so they get the correct parts. They can't know all of the options possibilities or running changes made during a model year.

Or possibly if they were going to install the new radio, do they need to input the VIN into the Tech2 to match the radio/car?
Jim, new radios do not have a Vin in them, they marry to the car the first time it is started . If you have a radio that was already installed you use a Tech II to wipe the vin and then the radio will marry once again to the car it is in

I think you are correct, dealerships are just accustomed to asking for the Vin

Dave

Quick Reply: Factory Navigation