C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternative to dexron ls gear oil 75w 90 in rear diff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:37 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Ward Cleaver
Because the rear differential lubricant (and other products such as oil filters, etc.) that you'll get at your local dealership is "good enough," but there are some other products that are superior to it.

Some folks are okay with "good enough," but some folks want something better than just "good enough."

Motul 300 LS 75w90 fully synthetic gear oil is an example of a rear differential lubricant for the C6 that is superior to the "good enough" lubricant that you'll get at your dealership.

Regards,
-Ward
Not to argue, but can you define superior in ways that can be compared with measurable statistical documentation to the Dexron LS? I'm all for performance gains, but I tend to weigh the cost vs the gain.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I had the dealer change out my with the GM Dexron over 70,000 miles ago on my 08 and no problems since..So why would anyone use any other oil!
Did you read any of the replies in this thread? A CLEAR answer to your question has been posted.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Because the rear differential lubricant (and other products such as oil filters, etc.) that you'll get at your local dealership is "good enough," but there are some other products that are superior to it.

Some folks are okay with "good enough," but some folks want something better than just "good enough."

Motul 300 LS 75w90 fully synthetic gear oil is an example of a rear differential lubricant for the C6 that is superior to the "good enough" lubricant that you'll get at your dealership.

Regards,
-Ward
Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Not to argue, but can you define superior in ways that can be compared with measurable statistical documentation to the Dexron LS? I'm all for performance gains, but I tend to weigh the cost vs the gain.
We did a preliminary drain/refill using GM lube on our 2009 (A6 tranny) at less than 10k miles, then again at 50k miles and sent a sample to Blackstone. Their report said that the fluid and the diff were in excellent condition and I should go further on the next change.

It's easy to claim your product is "better" when nobody is doing statistical failure analysis or a valid laboratory comparison.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 02-27-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Did you read any of the replies in this thread? A CLEAR answer to your question has been posted.
Did you see my post#? And there is still NO clear answer to my post. If I had 1,000 rwh then I would use Reline or some other oil if needed.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 02-27-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-27-2017, 11:04 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

I had the dealer change out my with the GM Dexron over 70,000 miles ago on my 08 and no problems since..So why would anyone use any other oil!
because they have more dollars than sense

Regards,
-Ward
superior in what way? if it meets the OEM requirements for that particular application, unless heavily modified it is completely useless................

Did you see my post#? And there is still NO clear answer to my post. If I had 1,000 rwh then I would use Reline or some other oil if needed.
you answered your own question.............why would you use anything else.....................if it works for your application that should be sufficient..........................

both of you had your questions answered, one by himself, and one made an irrelevant statement related to the OP original question................it doesn't need to take 2 or 3 pages to answer a simple question related to lube in a STOCK C6...............................

The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Once had a regional racer, tech, pro crew chief tell me he likes the companies with a batch of engineers and money to test products AND results. He was confident that Mobil1 was one of those companies, and that they and others who did the work for/in addition to GM were well-funded and highly competent. I took that advice most of the time. When I didn't, I learned another lesson. Not to say smalls can't come up with a better mousetrap. I've used all the brands mentioned in this thread at one point or another.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AORoads
Once had a regional racer, tech, pro crew chief tell me he likes the companies with a batch of engineers and money to test products AND results. He was confident that Mobil1 was one of those companies, and that they and others who did the work for/in addition to GM were well-funded and highly competent. I took that advice most of the time. When I didn't, I learned another lesson. Not to say smalls can't come up with a better mousetrap. I've used all the brands mentioned in this thread at one point or another.
IIRC, member "LDB" is a retired oil company engineer and he said about the same thing. The big company (not Mobil) that is now paying his pension makes a synthetic that's comparable to Mobil 1, but he felt more confident using the Mobil product because his own company did not yet have the decades of experience developing synthetic motor oil like Mobil.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:24 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Hmmm....Crickets......

And I've been anxiously waiting for this reply.

Since there is a thread every month debating this very same issue, I thought it would be refreshing to review a real technical answer to why people would abandon the 100s of test, MTBF and research hours that Tremec, Getrag and GM engineers would put into arriving at a suitable lubricant with the right friction modifiers to maximize the life of the composite fiber material on synchro ring and clutch packs and, instead, go with some boutique oil company that threw a little dye into the oil and somehow magically found a better formula than the engineers did....And they don't even have to warranty these units!

Having had the "pleasure" of rebuilding Tremecs with fiber lined syncro rings, It's hard to recall how many warnings there were in the rebuild instructions to use the correct engineered spec and modified lubricant so that the life of the fiber liners weren't shortened or destroyed on startup. In fact, new synchro rings had to be soaked in the correct lubricant bath for 24 hrs before assembly, and they wanted the gearbox filled shortly after assembly. Tremec even had a warning not to use synthetics in some of their boxes as that increased the wear.

How does someone arrive at the point to experiment with a completely untested aftermarket product? How many remember STP "motor honey" from the sixties? Remember how loooong it took to pour out of the can? Remember all of the claims? Would you put a can of that in your LS2/3 today? There was another miracle product for you. Is marketing that powerful?

Last edited by BlindSpot; 02-28-2017 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jft69z (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 12:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not that long ago I used to use several of the products of 1 small co. with two letters as its name. Of course they made a manual trans fluid as well. I had it put in a Getrag-geared stock man trans. In 4K miles, it ruined the trans.

The trans shop was not sure they could a) get a rebuild kit and b) that it would fix the problem, but I was lucky. They accomplished both satisfactorily and several dollars later, the car was good again. Haven't used that little co's. products again, and won't. Dorothy of Wizard of Oz came from the same place.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:31 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Hmmm....Crickets......

And I've been anxiously waiting for this reply.

Since there is a thread every month debating this very same issue, I thought it would be refreshing to review a real technical answer to why people would abandon the 100s of test, MTBF and research hours that Tremec, Getrag and GM engineers would put into arriving at a suitable lubricant with the right friction modifiers to maximize the life of the composite fiber material on synchro ring and clutch packs and, instead, go with some boutique oil company that threw a little dye into the oil and somehow magically found a better formula than the engineers did....And they don't even have to warranty these units!

Having had the "pleasure" of rebuilding Tremecs with fiber lined syncro rings, It's hard to recall how many warnings there were in the rebuild instructions to use the correct engineered spec and modified lubricant so that the life of the fiber liners weren't shortened or destroyed on startup. In fact, new synchro rings had to be soaked in the correct lubricant bath for 24 hrs before assembly, and they wanted the gearbox filled shortly after assembly. Tremec even had a warning not to use synthetics in some of their boxes as that increased the wear.

How does someone arrive at the point to experiment with a completely untested aftermarket product? How many remember STP "motor honey" from the sixties? Remember how loooong it took to pour out of the can? Remember all of the claims? Would you put a can of that in your LS2/3 today? There was another miracle product for you. Is marketing that powerful?
I agree to some extent. Except for Motor Oil. The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a better oil than Mobile 1. Neither are "true" synthetics, but the Pennzoil has fewer impurities and a better additive package with more detergents. They are owned by Shell, and everyone loves their Top Tier fuels right? The Distillation process of the Shale Gas to Liquid gets rid of a lot of the impurities. Both are Group III oils, but if there was a III+ rating, the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum would have it. Mobile 1, not so much. Royal Dutch Shell has three brands of oil, they all use Shale Gas To Liquid technology, and they have the decades of experience under their belt.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 03-03-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
I agree to some extent. Except for Motor Oil. The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a better oil than Mobile 1. Neither are "true" synthetics, but the Pennzoil has fewer impurities and a better additive package with more detergents. They are owned by Shell, and everyone loves their Top Tier fuels right? The Distillation process of the Shale Gas to Liquid gets rid of a lot of the impurities. Both are Group III oils, but if there was a III+ rating, the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum would have it. Mobile 1, not so much. Royal Dutch Shell has three brands of oil, they all use Shale Gas To Liquid technology, and they have the decades of experience under their belt.
Just so you don't embarrass yourself in the future, the name of the oil company is Mobil.
T-Mobile is a cell phone company.

Quick Reply: alternative to dexron ls gear oil 75w 90 in rear diff?