C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 c6 noise questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 11:57 PM
groran
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 08 c6 noise questions

Got my 08 c6 coupe yesterday. Test drove and all looked good,sounded good. I didn't take on high speed constant drive though as there was only town streets. Anyway, at 75 mph and faster, I get a noise that sounds like from under the dash. It sounds like bumble bees and the faster I go, the noisier it gets. Also sounds like plastic vibrating at high frequency. If I slow to 75 and under, it pretty much goes away. I looked under hood noticed cover for cabin air filter was not latched and put it back and latched back, didn't make any diff. I put hand on dash while all this is going on and dash is not vibrating. Man I was hoping it's just paper or something, any help please, thanks. Randy
Old 02-27-2017, 12:05 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I think there was something I read about the windshield molding at the bottom where it meets the windshield may be causing the noise. Others may chime in who are now familiar with this. If I'm not mistaken you can try a piece of duct tape to temporary see if it stops the noise. I'm not familiar with this problem but others had noises. I'm do not remember the remedy.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:26 AM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by groran
Got my 08 c6 coupe yesterday. Test drove and all looked good,sounded good. I didn't take on high speed constant drive though as there was only town streets. Anyway, at 75 mph and faster, I get a noise that sounds like from under the dash. It sounds like bumble bees and the faster I go, the noisier it gets. Also sounds like plastic vibrating at high frequency. If I slow to 75 and under, it pretty much goes away. I looked under hood noticed cover for cabin air filter was not latched and put it back and latched back, didn't make any diff. I put hand on dash while all this is going on and dash is not vibrating. Man I was hoping it's just paper or something, any help please, thanks. Randy
Wow, I stood on the pedal and had mine up to 115 on my test drive.

Do a search of the forum because I saw a thread with pictures that shows how to fix it. Very simple and cheap.
Look for cowl buzzing repair/fix.
High regards, Monte
Old 02-27-2017, 12:34 AM
groran
Instructor

Phew hope thats all this is, thanks men
Old 02-27-2017, 12:38 AM
groran
Instructor

Originally Posted by montman
Wow, I stood on the pedal and had mine up to 115 on my test drive.

Do a search of the forum because I saw a thread with pictures that shows how to fix it. Very simple and cheap.
Look for cowl buzzing repair/fix.
High regards, Monte
crap man, I step on it on the city street, almost pooped, it was so strong! This thing pulled as hard as a supercharged c6 I test drove. I had to look under hood for SC, but there wasn'T one
Old 02-27-2017, 08:15 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

To test it, take a roll of black electrical tape and run the tape along the edge of the black plastic cowl where it touches the windshield...all the way along, sealing the cowl to the glass. Then go for a drive and see if it is fixed...the only cost will be four feet of tape. Mine is still there after many years of quiet.

Last edited by cclive; 02-27-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:33 PM
DWRAT
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I glued my window trim down with a bit of Goop.
No more noise.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:50 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

There was a recall (notification really). Take it by, or call the Chevy dealer. I don't know what the time frame is to fix it, but they do know about it. Seems like most have fixed it with double side 3M tape or caulking of one kind or another.

FixforBuzzNoiseatBaseofWindshield (1).pdf
Old 02-28-2017, 05:43 PM
Vet With A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the buzzing as well. Ended up being the cowl that others have mentioned. Mine was missing a clip in the center. I fabricated a clip for it and the noise is gone. Took 20 minutes.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine buzzes like mad on windy days above 70MPH. It strangely gets better when you turn on Recirc. I think it is still there but maybe sounds quieter because the path for noise is shut off. Electrical tape is worth a try for a temp fix but wont that glue melt in the summer and get nasty when it gets stupid hot outside?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
Mine buzzes like mad on windy days above 70MPH. It strangely gets better when you turn on Recirc. I think it is still there but maybe sounds quieter because the path for noise is shut off. Electrical tape is worth a try for a temp fix but wont that glue melt in the summer and get nasty when it gets stupid hot outside?
Use masking or electrical tape for testing purposes only. Yes, the sun will bake the glue onto the windshield and cowl. The tape is not a fix just for eliminating the cause. Just do it right and replace it.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by cclive
To test it, take a roll of black electrical tape and run the tape along the edge of the black plastic cowl where it touches the windshield...all the way along, sealing the cowl to the glass. Then go for a drive and see if it is fixed...the only cost will be four feet of tape. Mine is still there after many years of quiet.
Your DIY tape method belies the fact that the tape should have dried out and blown away a long time ago, not to mention no longer do the job of quieting the "cowl" howl. Maybe it turned into super glue.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Your DIY tape method belies the fact that the tape should have dried out and blown away a long time ago, not to mention no longer do the job of quieting the "cowl" howl. Maybe it turned into super glue.
I realize that I broke that cardinal rule of the forum Bill...always go with the most expensive solution. But I used good quality Super 33+ tape and it hasn't turned to dust or to goo either. Maybe I'm just lucky...LOL

Get notified of new replies

To 08 c6 noise questions

Quick Reply: 08 c6 noise questions