C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp Gauge Crash

Old 02-28-2017, 12:37 AM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Temp Gauge Crash

So I drive the car to work and all is good. After work I drive to gas station and fill it up. Noticed a slight surge in rpm as I pulled up to pump. When leaving car does the unthinkable!! Didn't want to start. Finally kicked on and I drove off. No codes. Seemed okay but then I noticed the temp gauge showed 100 degrees and just stayed there. Turned on heat and it was warm. Computer said coolant temp was 84 degrees. Pulled over and let things sit for ten minutes. Restarted and symptoms continued. Got a message that engine was hot and AC was being disabled. About a half mile from home. Cranked up heat to draw off temp. Babied it home.

My mech friend came over and messed with it and said there was an air pocket in the cooling system. He got it working all good again. I gave him fifty bucks and thanked him. He asked if there was a leak or low coolant level. No. It's been fine for a week now. I check coolant every day. It's not going down at all. Thoughts?
Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Not sure where you are located, but I assume your temperatures are in Celsius. I've only seen this happen after coolant was drained and refilled without properly "burping" the system to allow the air bubbles to escape.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 PM
zzjakect
Pro

Default Not Metric

No Not Celsius. And nothing was touched in cooling system. The gauges and computer both decided the engine was at around a hundred degrees farenheit. I'm in Arkansas. People here get shot for using KPH or any other metric system talk. LOL. Could this indicate some sort of leak in cooling system? Never had an issue with coolant level.

Last edited by zzjakect; 02-28-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:37 PM
zzjakect
Pro

How does one "burp" the system?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by zzjakect
No Not Celsius. And nothing was touched in cooling system. The gauges and computer both decided the engine was at around a hundred degrees farenheit. I'm in Arkansas. People here get shot for using KPH or any other metric system talk. LOL. Could this indicate some sort of leak in cooling system? Never had an issue with coolant level.
Put a new coolant temp sensor located on the drivers side head (Cheap) and I would also put in a new stat with the hole in it...No Bupping needed.....
Old 03-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Do you have a HUD? Transmission temp might give you an idea of cars operating temperature too. Have my doubts about an air bubble in coolant system. Coolant fans operating correctly? Infra red temperature guns are useful too, cheap at HF and most big box stores.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:30 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by zzjakect
How does one "burp" the system?
Some people have had to purge the air from the system after working on the cooling system or refilling. Here is one thread (see post #10)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-issues.html
Old 03-01-2017, 02:14 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Head gasket leaking, water pump, crack in radiator, pressure test or dye system use UV light to detect leak. GM says 5 years/100,000 miles on coolant.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good points by hrt and Cooter.

Get notified of new replies

To Temp Gauge Crash

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temp Gauge Crash