C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:56 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ben z
Mine's an LS3 ('08) manual, I only get around 15mpg in town. Flat roads, temps in the 70s-80s, but I think it's a combo of the A/C always being on, and lots of traffic and stoplights with long waits idling. I use 93 octane. Around here it's either that or 89 or have to mix each time. And everything here is at least 10% ethanol, which lowers mpgs. But 8.9 sounds extremely low unless driven really hard.
I think the manufacturer's recommendation is to use "at least" 91 octane. Since most states besides the liberal wasteland of California permit 93 octane, use that.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 PM
Mets231
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry guys, I just moved and have been busy starting new job. They replaced the fuel pump. Now I am getting 15.2 in city. I also have been running 91 octane. The mechanic said mixing the gas was ok and had nothing to do with bad gas mileage. Like I said West Coast said this has been a somewhat problem with the center fuel pump. Very happy now. Thanks
Old 03-23-2017, 11:38 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Mets231
Sorry guys, I just moved and have been busy starting new job. They replaced the fuel pump. Now I am getting 15.2 in city. I also have been running 91 octane. The mechanic said mixing the gas was ok and had nothing to do with bad gas mileage. Like I said West Coast said this has been a somewhat problem with the center fuel pump. Very happy now. Thanks
Thank you for the update, and am glad that did the trick. Mind if we ask about how much they charged for diagnostic and repair?

jim
Old 03-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Mets231
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Thank you for the update, and am glad that did the trick. Mind if we ask about how much they charged for diagnostic and repair?

jim

They charge $105hour job took 10 hours.

I met a couple of guys including Brian at West Coast that is in Speed ventures. I am thinking about getting the car ready for the track. Nothing to major- I will need a roll bar, dot 4 brake fluid and better brakes, maybe replace the drivers seat. Since the wife is ok with it. lol
Old 04-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Moonrunner
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the engine isn't pinging you don't need more than the 91 octane and fuel listed as 91 is the pump minimum. Many times the fuel will test closer to 92 sometimes a bit better. $9.99 for 100 octane. Just buy a quality brand octane booster and add it to bump octane to probably better than 94. My 05 with an automatic gets 18-21 around town and 30+ mpg running over 75 mph through mountains on the freeway. I run a bottle of Techron Fuel System cleaner or Seafoam through all my vehicles once annually and again if idle gets rough or fuel mileage inexplicably drops. Don't waste your money on most of those additives for other than slight moisture cleanup. Techron works for me a has for years as an injection cleaner in my cars and Harley's.

Quick Reply: gas mileage