C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak from filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:12 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Oil leak from filter

Hey guys, my car (08 C6) has a slow oil leak. I got under it and it looks like its coming from the oil filter seal. I added oil to the seal when I changed the oil months ago, also I hand tightened it at the time of oil change. It leaked a while ago and I tightened even more by hand and that seemed to fix the leak. Now it's leaking again and I'm pretty sure I can tighten it by hand a little more but I don't want to strip it. Also when I look for an oil filter torque wrench I don't seem to see how it will work with our filters as the wrench needs a bolt to grip. 22lbs of torque is what I read GM calls for. I'm not the best at DIY so any info would help Thanks.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

1 ...Fill filter with oil , wet down O ring with oil.

2 ...Hand tight, and then using filter wrench turn 1/2 turn period!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ROLLER
Hey guys, my car (08 C6) has a slow oil leak. I got under it and it looks like its coming from the oil filter seal. I added oil to the seal when I changed the oil months ago, also I hand tightened it at the time of oil change. It leaked a while ago and I tightened even more by hand and that seemed to fix the leak. Now it's leaking again and I'm pretty sure I can tighten it by hand a little more but I don't want to strip it. Also when I look for an oil filter torque wrench I don't seem to see how it will work with our filters as the wrench needs a bolt to grip. 22lbs of torque is what I read GM calls for. I'm not the best at DIY so any info would help Thanks.
You won't strip the threads by hand. The only problem with over-tightening is that they can be difficult to get off. However, in 50 years of changing oil I've never had that happen.

Occasionally I've had to snug one up a bit beyond hand tight with a wrench to stop a leak and have never had a problem getting it off.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:43 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by HK770
1 ...Fill filter with oil , wet down O ring with oil.

2 ...Hand tight, and then using filter wrench turn 1/2 turn period!
Originally Posted by Bruze
You won't strip the threads by hand. The only problem with over-tightening is that they can be difficult to get off. However, in 50 years of changing oil I've never had that happen.

Occasionally I've had to snug one up a bit beyond hand tight with a wrench to stop a leak and have never had a problem getting it off.
Nothing further needed if it indeed is the filter
Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

With all the above. You might want to try a new filter, I have seen some that are just a Charlie hotel off and will not tighten up correctly.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

When you changed the oil/filter, did you make sure the gasket from the old filter didn't get stuck on the engine? Now you're in a double gasket situation, not good. It happens.....
Old 03-16-2017, 11:01 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure I took out the old gasket. I think I'll give it a good tighten by hand, if that doesn't fix it I'll just do another oil change. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Last edited by C6ROLLER; 03-16-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:06 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Patsgarage

With all the above. You might want to try a new filter, I have seen some that are just a Charlie hotel off and will not tighten up correctly.
Pat, WTF is a "Charlie hotel"??
Old 03-16-2017, 11:07 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

C.H......C*** Hair
Old 03-16-2017, 11:25 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Pat, WTF is a "Charlie hotel"??
Originally Posted by jft69z
C.H......C*** Hair

That is the not so PC way of saying off by just a little bit.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:45 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Patsgarage

That is the not so PC way of saying off by just a little bit.

Haha, okay. As a life-long toolmaker I am very familiar with the actual term. I just didn't make your connection to it.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:25 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Hand tight on oil filters is not enough to seal, rubber gasket must be squeezed, I go 3/4 to 1 turn with wrench after hand tight.

Last edited by Don-Vette; 03-17-2017 at 03:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
C6ROLLER (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 07:16 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Hand tight on oil filters is not enough to seal, rubber gasket must be squeezed, I go 3/4 to 1 turn with wrench after hand tight.

The filter MUST be tightened with an oil filter wrench or it can vibrate loose.
C6ROLLER (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 07:45 AM
_05C6_
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts

True or not, I heard this from an old GM tech. There was a bulletin put out at some point that stated to use only the AC Delco oil filter on our vettes. ????
I had the same dampness just behind the oil filter and thought it was a rear main starting to leak. The old guy said it's because of the oil filter I had on there. We changed it, used the AC Delco filter and it's as dry as can be.
Like I said, take it for what it's worth.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

You can't overtighten if just doing by hand.
C6ROLLER (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by jft69z
When you changed the oil/filter, did you make sure the gasket from the old filter didn't get stuck on the engine? Now you're in a double gasket situation, not good. It happens.....
THIS!!! and yes it happened to me, seems to be Fram filters most of the time but have read of others...

Last edited by psp6158; 03-17-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:49 AM
carsangelop
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha, okay. As a life-long toolmaker I am very familiar with the actual term. I just didn't make your connection to it.
A red one is even closer tolerance

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak from filter

Old 03-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

The double gasket thing: I keep hearing about this (just since the internet age actually) and it is beyond my imagination as to how this happens. You have to be oblivious to the world around you to NOT NOTICE or even LOOK at the old filter as it comes off -- the gasket is very obvious and if it is NOT THERE it should be noticed by anyone with eyes.

Also, I always wipe the mounting surface off with a clean rag before installing the new filter, and it would be very obvious if there was a gasket stuck there.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The double gasket thing: I keep hearing about this (just since the internet age actually) and it is beyond my imagination as to how this happens. You have to be oblivious to the world around you to NOT NOTICE or even LOOK at the old filter as it comes off -- the gasket is very obvious and if it is NOT THERE it should be noticed by anyone with eyes.

Also, I always wipe the mounting surface off with a clean rag before installing the new filter, and it would be very obvious if there was a gasket stuck there.

Up till last month I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you. But when I changed the oil and filter in my wifes SUV I was lazy and just crawled under and went to work. Well my led worklight decided to die on me but smart as I am I kept going. Put in drain plug and took off the oil filter and dropped it onto the oil drain container as it was still hot. Slapped on the new filter, filled with oil. Good to go!! Started it up to circulate the oil to get a accurate level reading.

Yep 2 gaskets on filter, oil spewing everywhere.
Never say never. First and hopefully last time this ever happens to me.

At least it was HER car not mine.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wayback
Up till last month I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you. But when I changed the oil and filter in my wifes SUV I was lazy and just crawled under and went to work. Well my led worklight decided to die on me but smart as I am I kept going. Put in drain plug and took off the oil filter and dropped it onto the oil drain container as it was still hot. Slapped on the new filter, filled with oil. Good to go!! Started it up to circulate the oil to get a accurate level reading.

Yep 2 gaskets on filter, oil spewing everywhere.
Never say never. First and hopefully last time this ever happens to me.

At least it was HER car not mine.
You never wipe the mounting surface off? Am I the only idiot on the planet that does that? I've always done it for cleanliness reasons, but actually (as it now seems apparent) it can be a double-check for a stuck gasket.

FWIW: In a half century of ALWAYS changing my own oil on cars, trucks, motorcycles, and tractors I have NEVER had a filter that was a problem to get off, and have NEVER had a gasket that didn't come off with the filter. I ALWAYS rub new oil on the new filter gasket. All of this stuff is just done by rote, for me anyways. I was probably taught -- or subconsciously picked up -- most of this stuff when very young, by older gearheads that I knew.

As I previously posted I only hand-tighten except on rare occasions when a bit of snugging with a wrench is necessary.

Oh well, the world spins . . .

Quick Reply: Oil leak from filter