C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my drivetrain crap? Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:41 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Is my drivetrain crap? Help please!

Hey I just bought a 2008 corvette with 20000 miles. I just noticed it has like a grinding noise and vibrates the car in nutreual. Does anything move in dravetrain in nuteraul. I think it might be the exhaust cause it's placed wong in the car back please help!!
Old 03-18-2017, 02:44 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

you placed the exhaust in wong? poor wong
Old 03-18-2017, 02:46 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

lol thanks for help
Originally Posted by CMY SIX
you placed the exhaust in wong? poor wong
Old 03-18-2017, 02:53 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Just a sample of one, but I have an '08 with 25K on it, and while the drivetrain isn't exactly silent, it doesn't do anything like what you describe. Short answer is, if mine did that I would have it looked at by a mechanic.

Is the car a manual? If so does it still make the noise with the clutch disengaged?
Old 03-18-2017, 02:58 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Did you break it already?!

Does it have an aftermarket clutch/flywheel/pressure plate?

It's grinding while idling in neutral? What happens when you press the clutch?
Old 03-18-2017, 03:02 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

may also be the exhaust........... any point of contact would allow the noise / vibration to be transmitted through the car and into the passenger compartment................
Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Your exhaust is in the back of the car??? I think you are just trying to get more stars by posting thread after thread after thread. I don't know whats wong with your car, but I would say driver error. 18 yrs and 1 month. WOW!!!. You need to read the owners manual at least 3 times BEFORE driving the car. Then read for at least a week 8 hours a day on this forum to learn things about your car. Then you can honestly ask a question. Good luck.

Also, you have a Z06...please post in the correct forum, not the C6 General Discussion. Post in the C6 Z06 discussion. You will get more helpful answers that way.

Last edited by LMB-Z; 03-18-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:12 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

I won't try to trouble shoot your grinding noise from the back end when the exhaust is in wong, but I will recommend that, in the future, you take any used car to a neutral mechanic for evaluation. Used car sales are generally considered to be "as is" in most states unless you have a written warranty from the seller. So, if the car turns to crap the day after you buy it from a private party or a dealer and it is without an expressed warranty, you are screwed. Way too much of a risk to take on a car that was probably well over $20K in you're case. Caviat emptor.

Last edited by RagTop69; 03-18-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:17 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

You didn't mention if the car was an automatic or standard. An exhaust usually won't cause a grinding noise unless it is rubbing severly on something. If the car is a manual shift it could possibly be a throwout bearing. Does it make a difference in noise when you put the clutch in? Dravetrain? Nuteraul? Are you trolling us?
Old 03-18-2017, 03:24 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

It's a Z06 everyone, so it's a manual trans. To the OP, are you sure it's a grinding sound and not a rattling sound? It could be something loose around the exhaust.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:25 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Your exhaust is in the back of the car??? I think you are just trying to get more stars by posting thread after thread after thread. I don't know whats wong with your car, but I would say driver error. 18 yrs and 1 month. WOW!!!. You need to read the owners manual at least 3 times BEFORE driving the car. Then read for at least a week 8 hours a day on this forum to learn things about your car. Then you can honestly ask a question. Good luck.

Also, you have a Z06...please post in the correct forum, not the C6 General Discussion. Post in the C6 Z06 discussion. You will get more helpful answers that way.
No I'm not trying to get stars why the hell would I care about that. My dad also hears it. I'm saying there is a grinding noise coming in idle and it only happens sometimes.....
Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by ben z
Just a sample of one, but I have an '08 with 25K on it, and while the drivetrain isn't exactly silent, it doesn't do anything like what you describe. Short answer is, if mine did that I would have it looked at by a mechanic.

Is the car a manual? If so does it still make the noise with the clutch disengaged?
I will I'm kinda worried about it.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:28 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5knives
Did you break it already?!

Does it have an aftermarket clutch/flywheel/pressure plate?

It's grinding while idling in neutral? What happens when you press the clutch?
Lol .... no but I asked the people at the dealer when I bought it they got it from a auction so they don't know if the clutch is after market. And it happens sometimes not all the times usually happens once I start driving then I pull over and idle it does it bad when I turn it off also.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:29 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by rkj427
may also be the exhaust........... any point of contact would allow the noise / vibration to be transmitted through the car and into the passenger compartment................

Yeah I do notice the passenger side exhaust is against the frame and a metal tubing looks like for the gasoline tank.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:30 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by LMB-Z

Also driver error? I just bought the damn car
Old 03-18-2017, 03:32 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I won't try to trouble shoot your grinding noise from the back end when the exhaust is in wong, but I will recommend that, in the future, you take any used car to a neutral mechanic for evaluation. Used car sales are generally considered to be "as is" in most states unless you have a written warranty from the seller. So, if the car turns to crap the day after you buy it from a private party or a dealer and it is without an expressed warranty, you are screwed. Way too much of a risk to take on a car that was probably well over $20K in you're case. Caviat emptor.
They said somthing about that when they buy ther cars in auction they don't buy cars "as is". Because somthing might be wrong. They did tell me they guarantee the car is in good condition.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:36 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by CadVette
You didn't mention if the car was an automatic or standard. An exhaust usually won't cause a grinding noise unless it is rubbing severly on something. If the car is a manual shift it could possibly be a throwout bearing. Does it make a difference in noise when you put the clutch in? Dravetrain? Nuteraul? Are you trolling us?

Really? That's the dumbest crap dude. Like I wanna be online here wasting my time while I have a corvette to go have fun with and other life things. It isn't a manual it does the noise a little leaving first then driving is fine. But in neutral it does it bad like shakes the car making a weird noise I wouldent say grinding like clunking then when the car gets shut off it does it bad then the noise and shaking dies with the car. And when I say idling I mean stationary also.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my drivetrain crap? Help please!

Old 03-18-2017, 03:37 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
It's a Z06 everyone, so it's a manual trans. To the OP, are you sure it's a grinding sound and not a rattling sound? It could be something loose around the exhaust.
ITs more of a clunking noise check up here ^ I described it to him. I'm gonna raise the car and check it. Then go to a mechanic a Chevy one.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:48 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

If I'm reading correctly you bought it from a dealer? I know from previous threads you just got the car, any kind of warranty? First thing I'd do is call the selling dealer and tell him what's going on, if he's a distance away maybe he can set it up with a local (to you) dealer to look at the car and report back to him...
Old 03-18-2017, 03:56 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by CammedC6520
ITs more of a clunking noise check up here ^ I described it to him. I'm gonna raise the car and check it. Then go to a mechanic a Chevy one.
Yes, best thing to do is get a look under the car if you can. It might be something obvious. I'm guessing it wasn't doing this when you first left the dealership?

Quick Reply: Is my drivetrain crap? Help please!