C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Battery Question

Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM
rn53982
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacement Battery Question

Good evening all and please excuse the ignorance of my question, as I am new to the C6 ownership world.

Just bought my 2009 about 5 weeks ago and have only got to drive it a few times due to crappy weather. Went out this weekend to find that the battery is dead, which after reading up I see is a major issue with these vehicles not being driven.

From the records of the car, it looks like the battery is the original OEM AC Delco that came installed in the car, so I plan to replace with a new battery and purchase a CTek 3300 Tender unit.

My question, does it really matter if I replace the battery with the same OEM AC Delco, or is any battery fine as long as it meets the same specs? Likely a silly a question and I would not give it a second thought on the daily driver sedan, but I thought it was worth asking. Calling around to AutoZone, O'Rileys, Advance, and Napa and none carry the AC Delco battery, so I am guessing I would have to purchase from the dealer, which I don't mind if it is recommended.

Thanks in advance and my apologies for the "noob" question.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

You can use any brand battery. I went with a Die-Hard battery for my 2012 GS. Just check in the manufacturer's booklet for which specific battery you need or ask a someone that works there to look it up. Also you can check any battery manufacturer's website for which exact model is specific to your car.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Except for Optimas they are all basically the same and made by the same company. I've had a Walmart battery for the past 3 years with a tender always attached and it's been fine.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 PM
rn53982
Advanced

Thanks. I figured I was overthinking it, but never hurts to ask. From what I have read, these cars eat up batteries if not driven consistently or tendered.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:10 PM
buck fever
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

I just installed a new battery in mine on Saturday. Overall it was a pretty easy job. I went with the Autocraft Gold battery from Advance Auto. After returning the old AC Delco along with their tax madness sale, I paid $94.00.

The Gold battery scored very high on online reviews and is apparently made by the respected company Johnson Controls. I'm happy with it.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:17 PM
rn53982
Advanced

Originally Posted by buck fever
I just installed a new battery in mine on Saturday. Overall it was a pretty easy job. I went with the Autocraft Gold battery from Advance Auto. After returning the old AC Delco along with their tax madness sale, I paid $94.00.

The Gold battery scored very high on online reviews and is apparently made by the respected company Johnson Controls. I'm happy with it.
Cool thanks for the info. After some quick research it looks like Johnson Controls many other of the popular battery choices as well. I have an Advance close and figured that's what I would go with. In addition, just purchased a CTEK 3330 US Multi unit to hook up when the car is not in use to hopefully avoid the battery drain in the future.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:28 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If your battery truly was original in an '09, that's pretty good duration. Mine failed in my 2012 GS at about 4 years (bought the car new) and I was told that was pretty typical. I researched a lot of batteries but since I was going to do the install myself in my garage, I chose to go ahead and buy the exact AC Delco replacement from my local dealer. I found the price to be pretty reasonable at $108 plus tax plus an $11 core charge which they gave me back when I brought the old battery back to them. There was a good YouTube video of someone replacing the exact same Delco battery in a car similar to mine which showed me just how to turn it to best drop it in to place. I just chose to keep it simple and replace with precisely the same shape and size that came out, meaning the same AC Delco battery. At $108 plus tax at my dealer. Just FYI. bob
Old 03-21-2017, 08:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd agree; you can choose just about any batt. And, yes, also to the Ctek 3300. Don't be "embarrassed" to put it on your batt. in summer or winter. As the saying goes, it can't "hoit" to use it anytime you're going to let the car sit for awhile. For me, the easy way to connect it up was through the driver's door window into the cig lighter which was always hot. Console interior plug in is also hot, but more of a hassle.

Last edited by AORoads; 03-21-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I bought an Autozone Platinum battery when the AC Delco died in my '09. It's an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery like Optima. I've had it in the car for 3 years and it's still going strong. It was fairly expensive but it also lasts a long time and has a good warranty, so the cost is really not an issue
Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,334 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rn53982
...and purchase a CTek 3300 Tender unit...
Cteks certainly work. A lot of folks on here, me included, use the Schumacher from Walmart. About $20.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:16 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by buck fever

Agree. Advance AP's Autocraft is a good battery.

Buy online with coupon code "savings" to get 30% off. Choose "pick up in store".
Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 399 Likes on 281 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Good evening all and please excuse the ignorance of my question, as I am new to the C6 ownership world.

Just bought my 2009 about 5 weeks ago and have only got to drive it a few times due to crappy weather. Went out this weekend to find that the battery is dead, which after reading up I see is a major issue with these vehicles not being driven.

From the records of the car, it looks like the battery is the original OEM AC Delco that came installed in the car, so I plan to replace with a new battery and purchase a CTek 3300 Tender unit.

My question, does it really matter if I replace the battery with the same OEM AC Delco, or is any battery fine as long as it meets the same specs? Likely a silly a question and I would not give it a second thought on the daily driver sedan, but I thought it was worth asking. Calling around to AutoZone, O'Rileys, Advance, and Napa and none carry the AC Delco battery, so I am guessing I would have to purchase from the dealer, which I don't mind if it is recommended.

Your OEM was an AC Delco and lasted 8 years. Why not buy another AC Delco?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:15 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Just remember to look up how to re-calibrate your windows. You will need to. Its in your manual and here as well
Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

autozone duralast $100
Old 03-24-2017, 10:47 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Last battery on my C4 came from Walmart, and it was great battery, the C6 running on OEM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Delco fits exactly, appears as unaltered (show points?).

Yes OEM Delco can last 7 years, yet in my experience all the Delco replacements go 3 and storage capacity drops (length of radio on without engine on), yet always has enough to crank.

So, purchase Johnson Controls, Deka manufacturor brands (relabeled Autozone Sears etc) exceeding OEM spec from anywhere you find covenant.

+ 1 for Tenders.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:06 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Your OEM was an AC Delco and lasted 8 years. Why not buy another AC Delco?

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement Battery Question

Old 03-24-2017, 11:08 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

My original AC Delco battery from factory was a 6 yr. warranty battery that lasted 12 years on my 2005. I just replaced it with another AC Delco battery.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Cuckoo
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My battery on my 2011 GS just pooped out 2 days ago. I had a feeling it was going because of a weak start last week when I washed it. I bought my GS preowned last August and have only put 1200 miles on it. It sat a lot the past few months because of the rainy weather we had here in So Cal. Wednesday I had just bought a Shumacher SP3 tender to hook up and the battery was dead right then. The battery was an AC Delco. At 7 yrs old I doubt it was original but you never know. I was ready to go to the local chevy stealership to pick up another one but read a few posts about just getting an Autozone battery because if it fails there are usually Autozones all over the place to get a replacement.

Loonggg story short I went with the Autozone Duralast battery, about $25 cheaper and it fit perfect.

The Schumacher sp3 was only $32 & comes with all the hook ups and an extender cord was $9, seems like it will do the job.

Last edited by Cuckoo; 03-24-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Cteks certainly work. A lot of folks on here, me included, use the Schumacher from Walmart. About $20.
I keep my C6, my Camaro, and my Silverado on Battery Tenders because I don't drive them enough. One of my batt tenders died (Lightning). Does the Schumacher have a "brain" / voltage regulator like the batt tender? i.e. Not just a trickle charger?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement Battery Question