C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Charging System

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 AM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Charging System

Hello,

The Service Charging System has come up and gone a couple of times in last week (2011 C6 GS). I have in the meantime replace the battery and the alternator. It still gives me the message. Pretty disappointing. I'm thinking there is something in the fuse block. Any ideas or knowledge about this type of issue.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 03-24-2017, 03:06 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Take a look at the cable and connections next. Make sure all the connectors are clean. I like to clean the connections with sand paper then put a dab of grease on them to prevent further corrosion. This process will make sure they are tight, clean and secure. Inspect the cables to make sure they are not rubbing on any surfaces or the insulation on them has not worn through somewhere. You can test your replacement alternator by putting a voltmeter across the battery terminals while it's running and verify that you are seeing over 14 volts. Beyond that you can test for battery drain with an ammeter on the negetive side of the battery cable and pull one fuse at a time until you can isolate the offending circuit.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:12 PM
brians98ss
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you still seeing around 14V with the message on?

Are you running stock AC Delco spark plugs? It has been proven that aftermarket plugs can cause what you are seeing. Something about electronic interference. I occasionally have this message pop up and I am running NGK TR6 plugs.
The following users liked this post:
thevpops (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:37 PM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

Can you please confirm that I could just as well measure the voltage from the alternator output. I expect I should read 14 volts if I measure the voltage potential between alternator and ground.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:41 PM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

I see 12 Volts (battery potential).

I have not changed the sparkplugs and have over 20,000 miles with my current ones, without problems. I can still try to check what type I have.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 PM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

As I asked CadVette, should I expect to read 14 volts at the alternator outlet peg?

It reads about 2 volts right now, when I run the engine (LS3 6.2L).
Old 03-27-2017, 02:00 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by thevpops
As I asked CadVette, should I expect to read 14 volts at the alternator outlet peg?

Running voltage should be at least 14, usually 14.7 at the alt. large lug.
At the battery while running, should read about .5 to .6 volts less, because of voltage loss thru the wiring.

Last edited by extrapilot; 03-27-2017 at 02:02 PM.
thevpops (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

I compare the voltages at the battery. At rest you should have over 12.5 volts minium. When the car is running you should see the voltage jump to over 14 volts which would indicate the alternator is working correctly. If your getting 2 volts when it's running it sounds like the alternator. Going further, disconnect the battery and verify that it holds voltage without dropping. You may want to have a new GM alternator installed in it's place. Rockauto.com is a good source. Or have your original one rebuilt. You can buy a kit or find a shop around town that rebuilds them. Don't buy an alternator from your local parts store. They typicially only last one year due to cheap Chinese internal parts. Good luck.
thevpops (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

I had put in an O'Reilley $150 alternator last week. But I still did not get 14+ volts on the read out inside the car (on the DIC?). Only got the basic 12 Volts (or 11.5). I did not have my voltmeter then. Still, I promptly decided to take it back out, and returned it (on the basis that the pulley looked a way different). Still, it was puzzling -- did I then also get a bum alternator from O'Reilley?

Anyway, I just ordered the alternator from Chevrolet dealer, and will install it Wednesday. I have other problems with car I think (starting only when I jump it, even though I have new battery from last week), but I will make new observations on Wedsnesday once I install alternator. I doubt new alternator will resolve the no starting of course. Keeping battery on a low 2 amp charge for now, in case something is draining it. Thanks for help up to now.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:33 PM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

Just FYI -- I saw your suggestion about RockAuto.com.

I promptly now cancelled my alternator order with Chevrolet dealer ($670), and ordered it with RockAuto for $378 (includes the 2-day shipping service).

Thanks. That's a big saving, especially since I still expect to have to pay some amount to fully address all issues.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

You are much better off getting a new one for sure.
Once you get the battery up to full charge, have that "Load Tested" to make absolutely sure it's good.
Most any parts store can handle this request usually free of charge.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

maybe I missed it but are you getting 14+ volts measured at the alternator lug while the engine is running?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:05 PM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
maybe I missed it but are you getting 14+ volts measured at the alternator lug while the engine is running?

Measured only 2.16 volts when engine running.

I have a new GM alternator coming in tomorrow or Thursday. I may have further questions.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Z06FoEva
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds to me like you might have a wiring issue. With the car off measure the voltage at the post on the alternator and it should read battery voltage. If it does not read battery voltage then you have an issue between the alternator and junction box or battery. There is a fuse link on the alternator cable that may have gone bad. It's at the end of the alternator power cable that goes to the junction box. Hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 PM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Z06FoEva
It sounds to me like you might have a wiring issue. With the car off measure the voltage at the post on the alternator and it should read battery voltage. If it does not read battery voltage then you have an issue between the alternator and junction box or battery. There is a fuse link on the alternator cable that may have gone bad. It's at the end of the alternator power cable that goes to the junction box. Hope that helps.

Understood. I'll test that, and take a look at that too. I need all the trouble shooting tips. So, thanks.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:18 AM
Z06FoEva
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Understood. I'll test that, and take a look at that too. I need all the trouble shooting tips. So, thanks.
If you test the post and it reads battery voltage with the engine off, then proceed to testing using the attached docs. It's a pretty simple system. Don't waste your time chasing your tail checking spark plugs and other nonsense. Troubleshoot the system properly and divide and conquer. Also, if you find that you are not getting the correct readings at the connector to the regulator you will need to check the output coming out of the PCM (located behind fender liner on passenger side wheel well). You will need to back probe the wires with the connector connected to PCM to take these measurements. I have attached the connector pin out view for your reference and the pins that you will need to test are highlighted. If the PCM output is good, then you most likely have a wiring issue between the PCM and regulator harness. You can confirm this by taking a resistance (OHM) reading of the circuit or do a voltage drop test across the circuit (should be less than 50mV). Good luck and stay patient. Electrical can be very frustrating but very gratifying when you get it figured out! Let me know if you need any more help.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Corvette Alternator Testing.pdf (53.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: pdf
Corvette PCM Pin Out.pdf (89.2 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by Z06FoEva; 03-29-2017 at 09:26 AM.
thevpops (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I'm not at all convinced that it is the alternator, from the numbers you have given us. It sounds more like wiring.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Charging System

Old 03-29-2017, 03:15 PM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cclive
I'm not at all convinced that it is the alternator, from the numbers you have given us. It sounds more like wiring.

Right. I do expect some challenges after replacing alternator. I will probably have to follow the steps and documentation from Z06FoEva (message above).
Old 03-30-2017, 08:58 PM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Z06FoEva

My battery is 100% OK. New alternator too.
When I separate the alternator cable from the alternator, and I measure at the eyelet, I get 12 volts approx. (engine not running).

When the engine is running, I get 5 to 6 volts at the alternator post, with the cable connected to the alternator.

When the engine is running, and I disconnect the cable, I get just under 2 volts at the post, again. Even though it's a new alternator (GM part).

Does some of what I'm saying exclude your fuse link theory? Any other thoughts.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 PM
thevpops
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cclive

Hello, would you please see my note to Z06FoEva. Thanks. Kind of struggling here.

Quick Reply: Service Charging System