C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TAPshift in the C6?

Old 09-26-2002, 04:46 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TAPshift in the C6?

I've noticed a few people wondering about whether the automatic versions of the C6 will have a "shift it yourself" mode. Anyone who knows about automatic transmissions will tell you that there's simply no reason not to have it, because it's almost entirely a programming issue. Easy to do, with minimal cost involved. Anyway, the new Pontiac Grand Prix (2004) just debuted in Canada with "TAPshift" which to my knowledge is one of the first GM applications of this sort of thing. They make some decent claims about it.

"Another racing-inspired feature that is sure to spice up the driving experience is the all-new Formula One-style TAPshift (Touch Activated Power), which is standard on GTP with the Comp G package. Drivers can engage a paddle on the steering wheel and switch from the ease of an automatic transmission to the fun-to-drive quality of a manual. The system has the fastest fingertip shifting response in the industry and better simulates a manual driving experience than any other car. "

Anyway, I know it's not the same transmission, but evidently they seem to think that performance oriented customers want some sort of selective shifting in their automatics. So I expect to see it in the C6. It's basically par for the course these days anyway.

Scott
Old 09-28-2002, 10:57 AM
conawayw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TAPshift in the C6? (LymanSS)

During the Tech session on future Corvette's, I asked one of the Tech guys at Carlisle about an Auto-Stick, and he smiled and said we are looking very closely at that.
They have got to do this!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TAPshift in the C6?