C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :)

Here is some stuff I found online about the new Caddy CTS-V. It has TWO DICs instead of a Single driver information center. Maybe we'll see something like that on the C6.

400HP Cadillac CTS-V
Whoa!
V-Series Signals New Era of Cadillac Performance

CTS-V Blends High Performance With Luxury Touring

As further proof of its ongoing product renaissance, Cadillac today unveiled the most powerful production car ever in its lineup, the CTS-V.

CTS-V is the first model to be developed by the new General Motors Performance Division, an in-house center designed to explore potential enthusiast-oriented versions of production models.

Production is slated to begin in the fourth quarter of 2003.

Like the original CTS, CTS-V was refined and validated at Germany’s famed Nürburgring to meet the expectations of the world’s most avid driving enthusiasts.

Equipped with a 5.7 liter, V-8 engine expected to produce 400 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. of torque, CTS-V marks Cadillac’s entrance into the high performance luxury car market.

The CTS-V represents the best of what Cadillac has to offer in terms of luxury performance. Much more than just a powerful engine, CTS-V is equipped with a standard six-speed manual transmission, large performance brakes at all four corners, 18-inch wheels and tires, retuned shock absorbers and steering for the performance chassis changes and a host of interior and exterior styling refinements.

Serious performance credentials

Powertrain highlights include an LS-6 V-8 engine with aluminum block, two-valve cylinder heads, revisions to the air induction system and an enlarged dual exhaust system for an impressive V-8 sound.

Power is delivered through the six-speed manual Tremec T56 transmission that features a dual mass flywheel for reduced noise and vibration harshness. A heavy-duty, increased diameter, 70-mm prop shaft is utilized for the higher torque requirements. The limited-slip rear axle is fitted with a 3.73:1 final drive ratio to optimize acceleration.

Following extensive development at the Nürburgring test track, the entire brake system has been designed to virtually eliminate brake fade in even the most spirited high performance driving conditions.

Large four-piston Brembo brakes with vented rotors measuring 355-mm by 32-mm are utilized up front while rear brakes include four piston calipers with 365-mm by 28-mm rotors. Included on the caliper casting is distinctiveV-Series identification. Six-lug wheels are standard.

On the exterior, specific seven-spoke 18-inch x 8.5-inch aluminum wheels are new. Goodyear P245/45WR18 EMT tires are standard.

StabiliTrak is standard equipment and includes four driver-selected modes of operation, including a mode for better track performance. The extensive chassis tuning includes new shock absorbers and new front and rear stabilizer bar. The front stabilizer bar is 26.5 mm in diameter and the rear stabilizer bar measures 21 mm. Front and rear spring rates are increased by 27 percent.

Purposeful design

On the exterior, the CTS-V includes purposeful enhancements designed to increase performance, including a completely new front fascia with an integrated aero splitter for better aerodynamics and brake ducts vented to cool front brakes. Stainless steel mesh grilles, both below and above the bumper, provide a unique front appearance and allow for free air flow into the engine compartment. Sides include an all-new aero rocker design that flows into a new, specific rear fascia.
Underneath the hood, a tower-to-tower cross car brace has been installed for improved steering response and linearity under high-performance conditions.

To help reduce under-hood noise, a unique nylon cover, which features the Cadillac Wreath and Crest and V-Series logo, is fitted over the top of the engine.

Overall vehicle height is 1454.6 mm, and rocker height is reduced to 196.7 mm in the front and 199 mm in the rear.
A new, full-dual exhaust system exits through the rear fascia and is capped with chrome oval exhaust tips. The "V" logo appears on the deck lid and front fenders and also on brake calipers, rocker panel and the speedometer in the instrument cluster.

Two exterior colors will be offered - Light Platinum and Black Raven.

Interior geared toward performance driving

CTS-V offers a new instrument cluster trimmed with satin chrome rings around each gauge. Aircraft-style, white lettering on a black field is used on gauges for better legibility. The speedometer reads up to 180 mph. The instrument panel clock is replaced with an analog temperature gauge.

The instrument cluster also includes two driver information centers (DIC) located within the instrument panel.
The left DIC can display performance-oriented information including peak and momentary lateral acceleration, oil, transmission and coolant temperatures and oil and tire pressure. The right DIC indicates odometer, digital speedometer and reverse gear and skip-shift indicators.

Other interior modifications include a three-spoke steering wheel with an aluminum bezel and revised controls. Satin chrome finishes also are utilized on the shift ****, door pulls and door handles. The center armrest has been lowered significantly for easier shifting during driving. The shifter boot is non-perforated leather.

Driver and passenger seats include adjustable lumbar and suede insert material to help maintain driver position in lateral maneuvers. Two interior colors, Ebony and Light Neutral, will be offered. Light-gray accent stitching is used throughout the interior. Aluminum sill plates have been added to both front door openings.

The new CTS-V will be produced at the Lansing Grand River Assembly Plant, site for the CTS, all-new SRX luxury utility vehicle and future STS luxury sedan.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:45 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (Adam Bruce)

I already posted info on that, but no one seemed interested. It sounds like it should be a cool drivers feature, and I hope it shows up on the vette. But the CTS-v was done by the performance vehicle group, which may not be involved with the vette development.

Scott
Old 04-25-2003, 02:54 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

I like the idea, but to me the shell is ugly, so even if it drive great, I won't buy it.

As long as I am at it, the XLR prices were released in Autoweek and I think Caddy over priced it. As I recall 10 to 13K over a Lexus. Caddy's "got 'some plaining to do".

Oh well another non-purchase.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:56 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (LymanSS)

Hey! Notice the 6 lug hubs and Brembos. Maybe this relationship confirms the rumors of Brembos on the C6?!? But 6 lugs? I'm gonna go check the XLR ...

Back from the XLR forum. All pics in the gallery there show a wheel hub cover that could be be hiding either 5 or 6 lugs. Who knows or cares? ... 6 lugs could impact wheel design. I doubt we would see 5 spoke wheels on a 6 lug hub.

[Modified by LongTimer, 9:40 PM 4/25/2003]
Old 04-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 631 Likes on 389 Posts

I like!

I could see myself getting in trouble trying to max out that instantaneous lateral accelleration readout. :jester
Old 04-25-2003, 03:47 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (Duck916)

Notice the 6,700rpm redline. Definitely an LS6 under there. Also notice the 14in braker rotors. Guys, this is serious stuff. I'm beginning to think they revised the '04 Z06 suspension because the CTSv outlapped it at the 'Ring.

I think the car is bitchin'.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (Kenny94945)

I totally agree. Too ugly. A shame really...
I like the idea, but to me the shell is ugly, so even if it drive great, I won't buy it.

As long as I am at it, the XLR prices were released in Autoweek and I think Caddy over priced it. As I recall 10 to 13K over a Lexus. Caddy's "got 'some plaining to do".

Oh well another non-purchase.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:26 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (Chris@VetteFinders)

All that information is great when you are sitting parked in the garage, but for performance driving it just wont work. :nonod:
Old 04-25-2003, 11:06 PM
FAST LS1
Pro

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (Rocketblock)

I think it's awesome that GM even made the car, and a performance group for Cadillac! This is a great step forward, BMW's have the M series and Benz's have AMG. The CTS-V isn't suppose to be a sports car, but it is suppose to compete against the likes of the M5 and AMG55. If it outperforms the M5 for less cash I'm sure it will go over well at all the big magazines, thus getting a lot of press and sell decently. The looks are subjective, but I know I'd rather have a performance sedan that was made here in the USA that had an LS6 under the hood over anything foreign :flag Plus you could mod it easily since it's an LS6, heads, cam, intake, and headers on a Caddy :eek:

[Modified by Formula, 4:00 PM 4/27/2003]
Old 04-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (Formula)

NOW I suppose we need a CTS forum!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Old 04-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Sal Collaziano
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (Rocketblock)

There used to be club-cts.com - don't know what happened to that. There's always http://www.cadillacforums.com :D

If Cadillac steps up to the plate and makes a powerful that doesn't break down too much, they'll be right up there with the big guys.. The v-series should make things very interesting...
Old 04-27-2003, 02:31 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Sorry, but that Caddy's mesh grille is :U.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:03 PM
Bigdaddypr
Drifting

Location: “God decided to make things interesting by adding Jerks to the earth.” Watertown SD
Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (GDP)

I think it looks Sweet
Sorry, but that Caddy's mesh grille is :U.
:cool:
Old 04-28-2003, 12:50 AM
Walford
Team Owner

The right DIC indicates odometer, digital speedometer and reverse gear and skip-shift indicators.
If I may paraphrase Lucy van Pelt......

GOOD F*&%ING GRIEF, Charlie Brown!!!! :eek: :cry :eek: :cry :eek:

I thought skip-shift was supposed to die in 03 or 04, because the Feds weren't buying the scam any more???? :mad

Anyway, I still haven't decided whether it's better to have two DICs or one. :D
Old 04-28-2003, 12:58 AM
Walford
Team Owner

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (Walford)

And furthermore, that kind of performance information bodes VERY well for the next "thou shalt have no other GM car befor me" Corvette. :D

The CTSv sounds as kick-ash as the current Vette. As GM will not allow the Corvette to be outshone, the C6 should shine like a diamond.
:hurray:
Old 04-28-2003, 01:05 AM
Walford
Team Owner

:rant: AND ANOTHER THING.......

The "V//" logo looks WAY too much like BMW's "M//" logo.

Can Caddy not grow an original bone? Cheeze&rice, Cadillac is (historically) one of the most distinctive, original, bold, RADICAL car manufacturers in automotive history.

Now they play catch-up with the Europeans and borrow engines and chasses from Chevy?
:confused:

Caddy, WTH has hapenned to you?

[Modified by Walford, 10:06 PM 4/27/2003]
Old 04-28-2003, 01:13 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :)

I'm sorry, but that's one ugly car.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :)

Old 04-28-2003, 07:17 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (Shylor)

Gosh, I thought I was to old to buy into the art and :bs design scheme. My 13 year old loves it, and I think Cad hit that market on the head. Unfortunately, not too many 13 year olds can afford a CTS. I have always owned American - infact GM - cars until recently. My wife needed a replacement for her Olds. Although put-off by all the zine pictures, we waited until we could see and drive a CTS before buying a MB C320. If the CTS-V had existed, I could probably have bit the design bullet to own a high performance 4+ place sedan with a Vette engine. Say you don;t suppose the -V means -Vette?

Also, I don't care what the emblem looks like, it is nice to see Cad making a performance car. I'm sure they will begin modifying Northstars soon. I don't blame them for borrowing the LS6 to sart out with - instant credibility. Next Chevy needs to produce that SS sedan with an LS6! Us family guys can't drive our vettes everywhere.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Chuck C
Cruising

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (LongTimer)

man, that is one beutiful car...I happen to love the grill and I don't think the V logo looks like M-series logo. bring it onnnnn
Old 05-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Sal Collaziano
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :) (Chuck C)

I don't think the logo looks original at all. But, I'm glad to see that Cadillac is keeping up with the competition. Now if they could only get the cars as reliable as Lexus does..

Quick Reply: Vette Half as Dic'y as a Caddy :)