C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Arnie
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com

From AutoWeek.com:

Caught! Corvette C6 prototypes spied testing

By WES RAYNAL

CAN YOU FEEL IT?

The buzz? It’s building: In eight months Chevrolet will finally unveil the next-generation, 2005 Corvette at the 2004 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, before it is launched in fall 2004. Between now and then, the C6 rumors and hype and anticipation will no doubt reach feverish levels (in plenty of circles it already has).

This photo illustration combines the spy shots with information from design sources. The new car has a few more edges to it than does the C5, and what insiders call “Viper-like” headlights.

And now we have the exclusive photos to go with it.

We’ve been chasing C6—the sixth-generation Corvette—information for months. Ace spy photographer Jim Dunne finally caught up with four “Beta” prototypes near Brighton, Michigan. Despite the camouflage on the nose, tail and part of the front quarter-panel, the pictures are revealing, with the doors and its entire greenhouse in the clear.

This new Corvette’s overall length is slightly shorter than the C5’s 179.7 inches, and the C6 will share the Cadillac XLR’s 105.7-inch wheelbase, 1.2 inches longer than that of the C5.

Though the look isn’t a huge departure from the C5, the C6’s overall shape is edgier, the nose more blunt and the windshield more upright. The C6’s rear end is more tapered than the C5’s—that should please most Corvette fans, though those who favor a radical restyle won’t be too excited.

The windshield is not as steeply raked as it is on the C5. Under the skin, the C6 shares a chassis and some electronics with the Cadillac XLR. Design sources said the C6’s fixed headlamps (the first seen on a Corvette since the 1962 model) are intended to reduce wind noise and help lower the car’s coefficient of drag. Headlights will not be hidden, the flaps seen here serve as camouflage and to expose the lights as necessary. A Nissan 350Z was being used for comparisons. (Photo © 2003 Jim Dunne/Popular Mechanics)

This new Corvette’s headlights are fixed units, not hideaways, for the first time since the Sting Ray of 1963. The reason is for aerodynamic advantages and to reduce wind noise. “Those [exposed headlights] will be debated ’til the cows come home,” a GM design source said.

C6 will share the XLR’s hydroformed frame rails and its magnesium, aluminum and high-strength steel cockpit structure. The body panels are made of SMC, the same plastic as the current body.

We’re told cutting weight was critical to GM engineers this time around, and the C6 should weigh in the 3100-pound range, about the same as a C5, and less than a Nissan 350Z, one of which was seen traveling with the group of prototypes Dunne photographed.

The fender tops have a sharper fold in them than in the rounded C5, but the shape is more evolutionary than revolutionary. This convertible was running with the coupes. (Photo © 2003 Jim Dunne/Popular Mechanics)

Most sources tell us the base model’s 5.7-liter V8 will produce more than today’s Z06, which makes 405 hp. Call it 410 to 425 hp.

There’s a next-generation Z06 engine under way as well. That engine’s displacement and horsepower figures are still being determined, a source said, while powertrain engineers sort out compatibility with the transmission—expect more displacement, torque and power when the Z06 comes out a year after the first C6s are launched. Stronger brakes are expected as well.

The C6 also will share Magnasteer, StabiliTrak active handling and magnetic ride control with the XLR.

Software engineers will be just as important as mechanical engineers in the distinction between the XLR and C6: The Corvette’s steering and suspension will be tuned much more toward performance than is the XLR’s.

New door handles are similar to those on the Cadillac XLR, which is being built alongside Corvettes in the Bowling Green factory. Disguises cover the fender vents. The car’s overall length should be slightly shorter than the C5’s, though the wheelbase is just more than one inch longer. The coupe’s rear glass is longer than the C5’s, stretching almost all the way to the back of the car. (Photo © 2003 Jim Dunne/Popular Mechanics)

These spy photos show that the C6 will use an exhaust system (above) similar to the C5’s. The rear glass (left and below left) is slightly longer and has an edge in it, extended from the rooftop shape. The taillights are hidden by the disguise, but we’re told they are more circular than the oval ones found on C5. (Photo © 2003 Jim Dunne/Popular Mechanics)

I just noticed the cut outs on the rear, the locations for the C5 backup lights is covered, but there are circular openings on either side of the exhaust. Did they relocate the backup lights?

[Modified by Arnie, 12:08 PM 4/29/2003]
Old 04-29-2003, 01:09 PM
23wtha02
Racer

Default Re: C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com (Arnie)

:cheers: :cheers: :eek: :eek: This is it.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:14 PM
1K SPORT
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

:cool: :cheers:
Old 04-29-2003, 01:15 PM
Floridasky
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 287 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Re: C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com (23wtha02)

The coupes roof panel looks a little odd. Could it be a 2 piece T-top design? I like waht I see!
Old 04-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Pipes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com (Floridasky)

The coupes roof panel looks a little odd. Could it be a 2 piece T-top design? I like waht I see!
:iagree: :cool: :cheers:
Old 04-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

:cheers: :party: :cheers:
Old 04-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

More like C5.5 :yawn:
Old 04-29-2003, 01:20 PM
Diego M
Team Owner

Default Re: C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com (Tenderfoot)

:eek: a C5 with non-flip up lights :eek:
Old 04-29-2003, 01:22 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

It doesn't look too bad actually but I can't immagine GM driving those down the road. I thought they trucked all their cars to and from the testing ground.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Yellow Fellow
Racer

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com (theanswriz42)

THAT IS IT!!! Those are the pics on the news last night!!! :yesnod: :eek:
Old 04-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Arnie
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com (Pipes)

:iagree: :cool: :cheers:
If you look at the rear 3/4 view of #4(yellow # in rear window), it looks like the sides of the top may have been disguised to hide the actual profile of the window. The removable top looks squared off insted of slightly rounded as in the C5.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:26 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I think some of you guys own GM-Cars.com an apology. This proves he had the first photo publicly posted that I know of. :yesnod:
Old 04-29-2003, 01:26 PM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

The headlights on the first drawing remind me of an older Jag. Not that it's a bad thing.

My thoughts: A tad conservative, still distinctive but unless there is a big change in the rear bumper, it'll be confused with a C5. Heck, I'm drawing a parallel with the C4-I and C4-II (84-89 and 90-96) bodies.

More power standard = good! :thumbs:
My first thought when I saw the vert is "blind spot"!!
It looks like there will be a grill opening in the front, sort of Camarroish. I could pass on that.

Well, I'm not sickened by it. Hopefully the polished version will still stand out in a crowd! :cheers:
Old 04-29-2003, 01:29 PM
BayouVette
Drifting

Just glad to see the boost in HP.. just wish it was a little more though....
Old 04-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Pipes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: (scorp508)

I think some of you guys own GM-Cars.com an apology. This proves he had the first photo publicly posted that I know of. :yesnod:
Technically correct, and I, for one, never disputed that it was a real spy photo. However, it was so limited as to be useless to me. Autoweek's photos are much more compelling.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:31 PM
gpflepsen
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

This is a C6 mechanical test mule with a "C5" body adapted to fit. Remember the C5s made to resemble a C4?
veXati0n
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com (ShawnZR-1)

crap. I hope that's not the real front end. :( Too girlie. Might as well drive a jag. :nonod: :nono:

Get notified of new replies

To C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com

Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: (scorp508)

This?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:32 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando
Default Re: C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com (03Ragtop)

More like C5.5 :yawn:
:withstupid:
Old 04-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Cybercowboy
Team Owner

Stealthy Puma Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I like the HP increase for the base models. The headlights are OK. Very C5-ish, which is OK by me for the most part. Looks like they will have a vert and coupe model available when they debut, unlike the C5.

Quick Reply: C6 spy shots on AutoWeek,com