C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharged V12 due for the C6-Z06 replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 04:33 AM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocharged V12 due for the C6-Z06 replacement?

Sorry if this is old news, but the info really caught my eye, and this GM engine listing could shed some light on some cool GM cars coming up!

Most likely, the LS2 6.0L V8 (430HP) will be the base motor for the C6 Corvette.
And the LS7 6.4L V8 (455HP) is supposed to be the upgrade C6 motor.

I had read somewhere that they were going to use the 7.5L V12 motor used in the Cadillac Cien concept car from GM Powertrain (dubbed the Northstar XV12) in the next Escalade.

The all-aluminum, double overhead cam (DOHC) four-valve V-12 engine generated 750 horsepower and 450 lb.-ft. of torque in the Cien concept car , yet it met the packaging requirements and fuel economy standards of a V-8.

The Northstar XV12 concept engine features several technological advancements over today's V-8 engines, including: GM's Displacement on Demand technology, which allows the engine to run seamlessly on six cylinders at times to maximize fuel savings; direct injection gasoline combustion system for increased engine power, improved fuel economy and reduced emissions; and a combined starter generator for quicker, quieter starts.

No doubt the new V12 motor is detuned to maybe 500HP+, but it would be a killer motor for the next Caddy STS.

And you can only guess where they would put a (600HP+?) turbocharged version of that V12 monster motor!

It would be GREAT in the next super Corvette (Z06 replacement), and maybe in a production version of the Cadillac Sixteen (which would of course need a new name) ;)

Who knows?, Cadillac and the Corvette could seriously kick butt and take names with those world-class engines! :cheers: :smash: :cool:

-Dean.

P.S. Sorry the upper image got squished by the forum software, but in addition to the (LS2) and (LS7) V8s, it shows a listing for three upcoming GM V12 engines:

(LTR)-Gas, 12 CYL, 7.5L SFI, V12, DOHC, VVT, CYLINDER DEACTIVATION (DOD), GM
(LTS)-Gas, 12 CYL, 7.5L SFI, V12, DOHC, VVT, ALUM, HO, GM
(LTT)-Gas, 12 CYL, 7.5L SFI, V12, DOHC, VVT, ALUM, TURBO, GM
:cheers:

[Modified by Dean McManis, 1:43 AM 5/31/2003]
Old 05-31-2003, 05:15 AM
veXati0n
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Turbocharged V12 due for the C6-Z06 replacement? (Dean McManis)

:D

It'd be nice to do a "LTT" swap some day. Doubt it'd fit. Oh well...we can all dream, can't we? :lol:

:cheers:
Old 05-31-2003, 08:45 AM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

I am learning. I expect to have that engine list disappear again. I right clicked it and copied it and then dumped it into "Word" and it was easy to enlarge to read. If anyone needs it emailed just ask. The LS-4 has come to fruition (5.3 liter with displacement on demand). Lets hope the reas of the list makes it too.
:chevy
Old 05-31-2003, 10:27 AM
vette-freak
Pro

Default Re: Turbocharged V12 due for the C6-Z06 replacement? (Curtis A. Franz)

I blew it up so you can read it. Just doubleclick on the pic.

[Modified by vette-freak, 9:29 AM 5/31/2003]
Old 05-31-2003, 11:41 AM
vetmts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Turbocharged V12 due for the C6-Z06 replacement? (vette-freak)

yo is that pic the new STS? :eek:
someone please tell me!
thanks
Old 05-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Sal Collaziano
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Turbocharged V12 due for the C6-Z06 replacement? (vetmts)

If it IS, please post it up over at http://www.cadillacforums.com
Old 05-31-2003, 12:14 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Turbocharged V12 due for the C6-Z06 replacement? (vetmts)

Yes. But it is heavily disguised in that pic. Hopefully it will not be as upright, blocky, and awkward-CTS-looking as that photo suggests. :bb
Old 05-31-2003, 01:29 PM
vetmts
Racer

Thanks . i know this is the C6 forum and that i'm going on a tangent, but just imagine if GM had the ***** to equip the STS-V with 500 hp and a 6-SPEED MANUAL trans. that would be f@^king incredible and historical. i would beat the door down at a cadi. dealership to buy one.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:08 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Too big, too heavy

Think about what that V12 DOHC turbo motor will weigh. Think about how tall it will be. The V12 is said to be designed to fit in the space of the Vortec 8100, so it's not small, no no no.

That thing belongs in a road train like the next DTS, not C6.

Leave the oversized overpowered two-seaters to Lamborghini.

.Jinx

[Modified by Jinx, 11:09 AM 5/31/2003]
Old 05-31-2003, 02:32 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Too big, too heavy (Jinx)

It's still very early to tell, as GM hasn't even formally announced these engines, let alone specifics. But from what I've read the new Northstar V12 is supposed to be a really breakthrough engine, being just a tad larger and heavier than the standard LS1 V8, but being a technical marvel with VVT, DOD, DOHC and other innovations that put it on par with the best from Europe. All the while meeting smog and gas mileage requirements.

It's not like this is going to replace the LS2/LS7, but it would also be great to have a Super Corvette at the top of the food chain again, as a 2006 version of what the ZR-1 was. King of the Hill. :cheers:

This makes a lot more sense that building a $300K Cadillac Cien.
But we will have to see if GM follows through. :smash:
Old 05-31-2003, 02:42 PM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=413319
Old 05-31-2003, 03:12 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Wasn't this the image that was forcably taken down after it was mistakenly put up on GM's website?
Old 05-31-2003, 03:20 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: Too big, too heavy (Dean McManis)

But from what I've read the new Northstar V12 is supposed to be a really breakthrough engine, being just a tad larger and heavier than the standard LS1 V8, but being a technical marvel with VVT, DOD, DOHC and other innovations that put it on par with the best from Europe. All the while meeting smog and gas mileage requirements.
Don't know who you read, but they are off in la-la land. The June C and D attributes 75 pounds of the XLR's higher weight relative to the Corvette to the Northstar V-8. That places the Northstar's dressed weight at about 15 percent more than the 500 pound LS6. If you extend this engine by 50 percent the weight is going to increase by something approaching this amount. Four cam V-8s are heavy and bulky compared to the Corvette's aluminum pushrod V-8. DOHC designs have the potential to make more power through higher revs, but they are constrained by noise, emissions, and fuel economy regulations, and their greater internal friction due to all the bearings, valves and cam drive make them less fuel efficient than a big pushrod engine. Look at the Mustang Cobra engine - physically larger and heavier than the LS6, and it's EPA fuel economy numbers are pretty bad, especially when compared to a C6. Even with a supercharger it doesn't make the same power, and GM is about to bring pushrod technology to a new level with the C6 engines.

I still think it's possible Cadillac may bring out a V-series XLR with a C6 engine. It would be a better alternative than a supercharged Northstar. For political and marketing reasons, they may not do it, but they would be foolish not to consider the possibility.

Duke
Old 05-31-2003, 07:33 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Too big, too heavy (SWCDuke)

Maybe it will be big and heavy like the LT5/ZR-1 engine, but maybe not.

It would not be a hard decision to put the LS6 into the Cadillac XLRv because it is going into the Cadillac CTSv, and will likely bring better success to the CTS by making it a truly competitive car.

But if Cadillac does have a 550HP V12 Northstar motor, I can't think of a more appropriate place for it other than a performance/luxury convertible like the XLR.

And if it will fit in the XLR, it will probably fit the C6 Corvette (with a turbo).

I don't see the V12 as replacing the V8s as much as augmenting them with a highline engine option as well. :cool:

-Dean.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:37 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: Too big, too heavy (Dean McManis)

And if it will fit in the XLR, it will probably fit the C6 Corvette (with a turbo).
Probably not. The XLR's frame around the engine bay is longer than that of the C6 just to allow the Northstar to fit.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:53 AM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: Too big, too heavy (SWCDuke)

That places the Northstar's dressed weight at about 15 percent more than the 500 pound LS6. If you extend this engine by 50 percent the weight is going to increase by something approaching this amount. Four cam V-8s are heavy and bulky compared to the Corvette's aluminum pushrod V-8. Duke
Nuff said., for me. I want to see weight reductions in the vette, not additions.

Vette can beat the Viper by out developing the snake. Throwing 4 more pots at the challenge will only viperize a currently sophisticated product.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbocharged V12 due for the C6-Z06 replacement?

Quick Reply: Turbocharged V12 due for the C6-Z06 replacement?