C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend blowing there own horn.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:25 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Motor Trend blowing there own horn.

Did anyone else notice this? looks like back in March, they thought they had it right, and the were taking a lot of credit for their concept of the C6.
The latest skinny on the C6 is that, while our September 2000 cover illustration of the car was dead-on at the time, GM brass now considers it too "plain" looking, so designers have been hard at it, injecting some drama into the plastic and fiberglass bodywork.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...ss/index1.html

I couldn't find a picture of that cover.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:33 AM
bigblockbob
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Motor Trend blowing there own horn. (Desertdawg)

i dunno man, i have stoped believing anything a car publication makes... :thumbs:
Old 11-07-2003, 05:14 AM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

The latest skinny on the C6 is that, while our September 2000 cover illustration of the car was dead-on at the time, GM brass now considers it too "plain" looking, so designers have been hard at it, injecting some drama into the plastic and fiberglass bodywork.

I couldn't find a picture of that cover.
Go here: http://palmeter.com/CorvetteTimelineW11P03.htm
the famous orange guesses with the F360 grill?
Old 11-07-2003, 08:49 AM
vette-freak
Pro

Default Re: Motor Trend blowing there own horn. (Curtis A. Franz)

Here is the pic. Could it be that instead of blowing their own horn, Its called cover your azz for boasting how the c-6 would look & being so wrong?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Did anyone else notice this? looks like back in March, they thought they had it right, and the were taking a lot of credit for their concept of the C6.
Like many have countered to those that say GM isn't listening... THEY ARE LISTENING and can make changes in the front & rear facia late in the game.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:17 PM
LongTimer
Drifting

Default Re: Motor Trend blowing there own horn. (vette-freak)

Here is the pic. Could it be that instead of blowing their own horn, Its called cover your azz for boasting how the c-6 would look & being so wrong?
We've been here before. Those are NOT the headlights. This time we have the ring pics to prove it. That is NOT the cut of the hood; the outer edge of the hood (whatever the final contour of the hood) stays to the inside of light in a basic "V" shape. The headlights do NOT stay inside the apex of the fender crease, they are at least partially visible in profile.

MT did a commendable job of predicting the C5. They really only missed by the taillight contours of an earlier prototype. They obviously had inside info on the C5 development. That was then, this is now - the "Big C6 Info Blackout". I have little confidence in anything I have read or seen in the mags, and only a bit more in the spy pics themselves. Things like windshield, side glass, B pillar, headlight location (Ring pic), central exhaust, door edge shape, gas door location, wheel base, track. These things are NOT going to change. Everything else that anybody has seen is skin that could be covered with false skin or shed and replaced prior to January. My guess is that the Vegas Viewers have seen the closest thing to the REAL C6. IMO

Having said that, with the exception of the headlights, the MT predicted fascia could be described as Ferrari-ish IMO. Add the over-the fender headlights from the Ring pics and the modified MT front would qualify to meet the comments from the Vegas Views. Could be coincidence.

[Modified by LongTimer, 5:18 PM 11/7/2003]
Old 11-07-2003, 12:31 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

They can say what they like :leaving:

That pic has the wrong targa bumps, central hood ridges, door handles, no running lights, no gaping mouth, rear brake vents and was published in March. The spy shots started showing up in late March or early April (Dunn and Snow shots)

Those parts of the car haven't changed at all since then.

Just read the link and it says
while our September 2000 cover illustration
They aren't talking about the March cover so maybe they have an out :D

[Modified by xilr8n, 12:35 PM 11/7/2003]
Old 11-07-2003, 02:56 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Default Re: Motor Trend blowing there own horn. (Mike Mercury)

Like many have countered to those that say GM isn't listening... THEY ARE LISTENING and can make changes in the front & rear facia late in the game.
Not without extensive aerodynamic testing, which costs lots of money. Not to mention they have to integrate it to create pressure in certain areas under the hood.

I'm not saying it's impossible for them to change it, but I doubt they will change it at the drop of a hat because of two or three disapprovals.

BTW, auto publications are hardly ever right about the looks of the car, and can only speculate.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Motor Trend blowing there own horn. (GDP)

BTW, auto publications are hardly ever right about the looks of the car, and can only speculate.
But it was this line that got me laughing.
while our September 2000 cover illustration of the car was dead-on at the time,
Old 11-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

The C6 front and rear styling was changed, but not recently. It's entirely possible that the magazine was correct.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Nitrodamus
Drifting

That mag is so full of crap!! Anyone else remember Motor Trend's pick
of the Renault Alliance for 1984 Car of the Year.... what a piece o' poopie car that was!! I made the mistake of renting and driving one across country. :cuss That was twenty years ago and I'm still pissed off about it!! Their car of the year could barely keep up with traffic and got 12 miles to the gallon. It was absolutely the worst handling car I have ever driven in my life. There had to be some payoffs to that rag mag for it to get car of the year!!
This is just more of their BULLpoopie!!! :nonod:
Old 11-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: Motor Trend blowing there own horn. (NEXEX)

That mag is so full of crap!! Anyone else remember Motor Trend's pick
of the Renault Alliance for 1984 Car of the Year.... what a piece o' poopie car that was!! I made the mistake of renting and driving one across country. :cuss That was twenty years ago and I'm still pissed off about it!! Their car of the year could barely keep up with traffic and got 12 miles to the gallon. It was absolutely the worst handling car I have ever driven in my life. There had to be some payoffs to that rag mag for it to get car of the year!!
This is just more of their BULLpoopie!!! :nonod:
For a car to be considered for Car of the Year it must be new, significantly updated, or have won the previous year. Pretty much all cars sucked back then. :lol:
Old 11-08-2003, 11:19 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Not too many people outside inner circle of need to know really know what the C6 front looks like. It wont be long and everyone that wants to know will know! I just hope it doen't look like the Motor Trend guess. :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend blowing there own horn.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend blowing there own horn.