C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Corvette or New Cadillac

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 09:57 AM
azzkikr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Corvette or New Cadillac

OK, you may have noticed in some of my other posts that I think the the new C6 looks like RICE! ...and that the new 2 seat Cadillac XLR is built on the Corvette Frame and Corvette Motor and looks very exotic! I think Cadillac stole the Corvette and it's just my opinion that the Cadillac is now superior to the Corvette. I passed one of these new Cadillacs on the way to work the other day... they are awesome! Photos of the new Cadillac are hard to find - but check out the link below - and vote! The new one that I saw also had a C5 Corvette style exhaust and a retractable Hardtop. Check out all of GM's photos of this car... (especially photos 3 & 8)

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/...jsp?model=xlr#

[Modified by azzkikr, 10:00 AM 6/17/2004]

[Modified by azzkikr, 10:05 AM 6/17/2004]

[Modified by azzkikr, 10:07 AM 6/17/2004]

[Modified by azzkikr, 10:08 AM 6/17/2004]

[Modified by azzkikr, 10:09 AM 6/17/2004]
Old 06-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Stv50
Melting Slicks

Default Re: C6 Corvette or New Cadillac (azzkikr)

Sure would like to know what the C6 is going to cost though.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:42 AM
konroh
Racer

The XLR does not use a corvette motor, it's a Northstar modified for rear-wheel drive. The cadillac with the vette motor is the CTS-V, and it has the LS6. Our c4's stock are quicker than an XLR and a bit slower in a straight line than the CTS-V (if you can launch without wheel-hop!)
http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/models/gallery.jsp?model=ctsv

[Modified by konroh, 10:44 AM 6/17/2004]
Old 06-17-2004, 10:55 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't see it as an issue of which is "better". They are somewhat apples and oranges...

It's an issue of preference.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:57 AM
azzkikr
Pro

Default Re: C6 Corvette or New Cadillac (konroh)

Thanks for the correction regarding the motor. I think the H2 Hummer has the LS6 as well. While I love Corvettes, the C6 is just a tremendous disappointment. It looks like a Miata / Viper / Ricer. As I already have too many toys and a big house that I can barely afford - it won't be any time soon that I'll have to worry about buying either one of these new cars... although I do have an older C4 Corvette and Cadillac Sedan Deville Polo Edition. (and a '04 Chevy Trailblazer) I'm a lifelong GM owner...
Old 06-17-2004, 11:08 AM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

What is this "rice" with the C6? I am not seeing it.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:09 AM
azzkikr
Pro

Apples to Oranges? Preference? My point is that it always seemed that the Corvette was the "American Sports car" and that it would eventually develope into a "World Class Sports Car" - Mid engine, big HP and exotic lines...

Well, I think Cadillac is building what the vette should have been... Fast, Classy & Exotic.

Remember the Cadillac Cimmeron - or whatever it was called? It was a Chevy Citation with leather trim and a fancy hood ornament... Well, Cadillac did it again.... only this time with the Corvette. My understanding was that GM was going to discontinue the vette, but by "sharing the same platform as the Cadillac" they would cut costs to keep building both cars... plus Cadillac has been in the road racing scene...

Anyway, that's just my opinion - and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I just thought it would be a good poll other than - what year car do you drive? or what kind of oil do you use?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:29 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Thanks for the correction regarding the motor. I think the H2 Hummer has the LS6 as well. While I love Corvettes, the C6 is just a tremendous disappointment. It looks like a Miata / Viper / Ricer. As I already have too many toys and a big house that I can barely afford - it won't be any time soon that I'll have to worry about buying either one of these new cars... although I do have an older C4 Corvette and Cadillac Sedan Deville Polo Edition. (and a '04 Chevy Trailblazer) I'm a lifelong GM owner...
The H2 uses the Vortec engine.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 cents.....First you have to ask yourself what do you want, if it's a matter of superiority, then there are a bunch of cars better than the caddy, but now it's goes to affordability. Are you trying to get the most performance that your money can buy?? How deep are your pockets??? or like was said before (PREFERENCE) what do you really want despite what everyone else thinks...HHHHMMM spending money should'nt be so hard, but sometimes it is. Me myself, hands down the C6, thats if I had to choose between the two, my personal choice would be a SALEEN.

[Modified by Alcee1, 8:32 AM 6/17/2004]
Old 06-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Torch Red
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

What does this have to do with the price of tail in Bankok?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:37 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Apples to Oranges? Preference? My point is that it always seemed that the Corvette was the "American Sports car" and that it would eventually develope into a "World Class Sports Car" - Mid engine, big HP and exotic lines...
You and Zora, eh?

Well, I think Cadillac is building what the vette should have been... Fast, Classy & Exotic.
No disagreement.

Remember the Cadillac Cimmeron - or whatever it was called? It was a Chevy Citation with leather trim and a fancy hood ornament...
Cavalier... and yes, it was a joke.

Well, Cadillac did it again.... only this time with the Corvette.
The only shared components are the basic chassis rails and structure. The body, interior, engine and transmission are all unique.

It's called "economy of scale". The more you can sell off a platform, the more profitable the car becomes. And don't think it loses some "exclusivness", cause Porsche and Ferrari do it, too.

My understanding was that GM was going to discontinue the vette, but by "sharing the same platform as the Cadillac" they would cut costs to keep building both cars... plus Cadillac has been in the road racing scene...
GM canceling the Vette? someone has been feeding you a good line. The Vette has been rumoured, and even threatened for cancelation for many years, but it has never happened... and won't... as long as it remains profitable. And as long as DC makes the Viper... you get the picture.

Profits are the exact reason the prices jumped for Vettes... GM was tired of subsidizing it. So it had to become selfsufficent. That was back in the 70s.

Anyway, that's just my opinion - and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I just thought it would be a good poll other than - what year car do you drive? or what kind of oil do you use?
Opinions are one thing... facts, or, misstated facts, are another.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:28 PM
LT1Vetteguy78
Drifting

Is it me or does it look like a sl600 class mercedes you tell me

[Modified by LT1Vetteguy78, 11:31 AM 6/17/2004]
Old 06-17-2004, 08:31 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

Yo azzkikr, no offense, but Please try to get your car facts straight as there is SO much bad info on the net, LS2 motor in the XLR and LS6 in the H2, When I'm not sure or I have'nt checked it out I always state that fact.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

moving to "C6"
Old 06-17-2004, 09:12 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: C6 Corvette or New Cadillac (TOO_HOTTVETTE)

Yo azzkikr, no offense, but Please try to get your car facts straight as there is SO much bad info on the net, LS2 motor in the XLR and LS6 in the H2, When I'm not sure or I have'nt checked it out I always state that fact.

No offense, but I think you are a Cadillac kind of guy (as opposed to Corvette). That is not a bad thing - I think the XLR is a really neat car. It's for the guy who wants a cool car, but is not a diehard performance car freak. I think it's great that GM makes both cars now.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:49 PM
HiloVette
Instructor

Default Re: C6 Corvette or New Cadillac (jschindler)

Old 06-18-2004, 12:23 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the correction regarding the motor. I think the H2 Hummer has the LS6 as well. ...
Sorry you are misinformed about engines they use in other cars. The Hummer uses a 345hp 380 fpt 6 liter. the exact same motor as in my Silverado SS and the Cadillac Escalade truck. The LS6 is a 5.7 just for the record. You want performance and handling better get over your misconception of the Corvette looking "rice". The Cadillac although beautiful and downright awesome is no Corvette. I think you should do a bit more research before posting and once you do, you may see the C6 in a different light. I myself think "rice" isn't all that bad, but a Vette being "rice", no way.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvette or New Cadillac

Old 06-18-2004, 12:54 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,834 Likes on 660 Posts

Default Re: C6 Corvette or New Cadillac (LT1Vetteguy78)

Is it me or does it look like a sl600 class mercedes you tell me

[Modified by LT1Vetteguy78, 11:31 AM 6/17/2004]

If I had to rank the C6, XLR and Mercedes SL in terms of styling right now, I'd say:

1. Mercedes SL
2. C6
3. XLR

In my opinion, the Mercedes is by far the best looking of the three cars and it's a close call between the C6 and the XLR in the design department. From some angles the C6 looks better and from others the XLR is more attractive. The C6 is obviously tops in the performance category(unless you go with the SL55 or SL600) while the SL and XLR have much more attractive interiors. All three cars are world-class and it's a toss up as to which one is best overall. Personally, if money were no object I'd go with the SL because of its' gorgeous exterior, luxury interior and German engineering.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:27 AM
ghostRder
Safety Car

The XLR is a Corvette wanahabee
Old 06-18-2004, 01:28 AM
Cool 50th AE
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I would buy either one but the price difference between the two is at least $15K. If the XLR had Vette performance then I would have a second look. I will be buying a new C6 Vert next summer.

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette or New Cadillac