C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

24 hour test drive and driveway scraping

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 24 hour test drive and driveway scraping

Does GM offer 24 hour test drives for the Corvette? My dealer told me that I'd be able to test drive it at the end of August/beginning of September but I forgot to ask about the 24 hour test drive.

Also, on this test drive, I'd like to see if there's even a possibility of getting a C6 into my driveway without tearing up the air dam.
How bad is the C5 when it comes to scraping? I had an 02 Trans Am and that only scraped in few instances.

Last edited by Process Black; 07-16-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Unless your dealership is a close friend i almost gurantee they wont allow a 24 hour test drive. They dont on the C5
Old 07-16-2004, 03:01 PM
sorka
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you say track day?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Buckeye guy
Pro

Originally Posted by ObeyC6
Does GM offer 24 hour test drives for the Corvette? My dealer told me that I'd be able to test drive it at the end of August/beginning of September but I forgot to ask about the 24 hour test drive.

Also, on this test drive, I'd like to see if there's even a possibility of getting a C6 into my driveway without tearing up the air dam.
How bad is the C5 when it comes to scraping? I had an 02 Trans Am and that only scrapped in few instances.
There are no 24 hour test drives on corvettes. They won't even let you take a test drive without a dealer rep sitting next to you. I don't blame them.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Yeah, I didn't think a 24 hour test drive was possible but thankfully I live close enough to the dealer that I can stop by the house with it.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:50 PM
charlietuna
Advanced

Default 24 hr test drive

It's funny you should ask. In mid michigan we just a death during a 24 hour drive in a CTS. Guy was going over 100 mph at night on two laner. He passed a car and ran off the road into a suburban setting there for sale and drove it and himself into a building, burning up both vehicles and killing himself. I think that dealership will be thinking real hard about continuing the program which is a dealer option to participate.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Buckeye guy
There are no 24 hour test drives on corvettes. They won't even let you take a test drive without a dealer rep sitting next to you. I don't blame them.
Never say never. I had a 24-hr test drive of a silver 2004 coupe last October from my local dealer who normally doesn't sell many new corvettes. Although I know 3 of the salesmen and one saleslady slightly, it's been 10 years since I bought a vehicle from them. I did not buy the vette.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:34 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

I live in So. Cal. and not one dealer let me drive a 'vette, not even a used one.

When I went to pick up my '02 my wife informed the saleslady that I had never driven a C-5. The lady couldn't believe it and of course she let me drive my car.

I drove around the block, came back to the dealer, I signed the papers and drove home...and that's the truth!
Old 07-17-2004, 12:09 AM
faSSt truck
Cruising

Originally Posted by sorka
Can you say track day?
Gee.... I wonder why they don't allow 24hr test drives on the 'vette???

"Um.... well..... the tires were like that when I picked it up..... must be some kind of new street slick."
Old 07-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Fast98
Safety Car

No test drives
Old 07-17-2004, 07:02 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ObeyC6
How bad is the C5 when it comes to scraping?
I had exactly the same concern. And it's not just ground clearance; wheelbase & front overhang are also factors if your driveway steepens like mine.

If I enter my driveway at an angle at crawling speed, a stock C5 air dam just barely clears without scraping. I know because I test-drove an '02 C5... dealer wouldn't let me drive a new '04, and I'm 50!

With shorter front overhang and almost the same wheelbase, I'm betting the C6 will be less likely to scrape. Still, I won't buy until I test drive.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:20 PM
swarga
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buckeye guy
Some don't even let you test drive a Corvette period. :mad
Old 07-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Some of these dealers need to listen to us, "the buyers". I shopped for a new vette for months and when the discounts got to 11,000 off MSRP, I drove to the closest Chevy dealer near my home. I got dressed up and planned the whole day out. I'm almost 50 and was pumped up that I finally could get the car I never thought I would own. When I got to the dealership, I told the salesman I wanted to test drive a new vette and showed him the ad. He told me the "we" don't let just anyone drive corevettes. I would have to buy it. I told him I wouldn't buy it unless I test drove it first, and then I told him to consider me very serious about buying one. After several minutes this guy comes back and tells me "I'm sorry, we are not going to be able to help you". I was so pissed. I left and drove for miles to another dealer across town. As soon as I walked in a salesman got my info and showed me several vettes in the showroom. He explained everything anyone would want to know about C5's. Then I asked him if I could test drive one out on the lot. He told me "If your going to buy a new one, let's test drive a new one". He started that bad boy right up in the showroom and we took it out for a run. It only had two miles on it. I couldn't believe it. I ended up buying a different vette with more options, but that man sold me the car with his knowledge and enthusiasm of seeing me driving the car I wanted to buy. I wish all salesmen were like that. I have thought about going back to the first dealer with my new vette and asking for a test drive. But someone told me to let it go, so I will. Dealers out their.............don't be afraid to let "us,your money makers" test drive a car once and a while. You might end up selling some more!
Old 07-18-2004, 02:23 AM
Jeo
Racer

Im 18 and have long hair, I could show up with a suitcase full of money and If i didnt plan on buying it first they would laugh their you know whats off at my proposition of a test drive. -Jeo

Get notified of new replies

To 24 hour test drive and driveway scraping

Quick Reply: 24 hour test drive and driveway scraping