C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 convertible trunk.....half the space??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 10:07 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Default C6 convertible trunk.....half the space??

The latest issue of Road & Track has a great article on the new vert, HOWEVER, on the specs sheet it indicates the cargo space of the trunk as being 5.1 cu. ft ( top down)..............is that right???? If so, then it is only half of the C5 vert ( 10.2 top down ) Anybody know for sure on this..............I can't imagine that they would have wacked half of the space
Old 08-22-2004, 10:30 PM
john m
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'06

three changes...
first, there is a partition that separates the top assembly from the trunk area...
second, due to changes in the muffler placement, the C6 has no storage well in the center of the trunk....
and last but not least, the car is narrower which reduces the trunk size as well...

When I saw the C6 vert at Bloomington Gold, I was amazed at the lack of storage...
Old 08-22-2004, 11:01 PM
MGB-for now
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and... isn't there a power top - the motor of which would consume even more stow space?

dp
Old 08-23-2004, 02:04 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You know I to this day ride around in my C5 coupe 90% of the time without a damn thing in the back. Just wide open space. It's an extreme high performace Sports/GT car, not a family car. Next thing people will be complaining about the Corvettes lack of leg room in the back seat area...Oh Damn the Vette does'nt have a back seat.

LET THE COMPLAINTS BEGIN>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 08-23-2004, 07:24 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cmicasa
You know I to this day ride around in my C5 coupe 90% of the time without a damn thing in the back. Just wide open space. It's an extreme high performace Sports/GT car, not a family car. Next thing people will be complaining about the Corvettes lack of leg room in the back seat area...Oh Damn the Vette does'nt have a back seat.

LET THE COMPLAINTS BEGIN>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yup.....but one of the trully amazing things about my C5 "high performance" vert is that I can put a couple of suitcases in the trunk for my wife and I to take an 800 mile run to the Museum in Bowling Green or whereever we want to go! Once you are used to that .........it would be hard to give it up...........in my opinion it is a step backwards.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:21 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Well for $440,000 you can get a Porsche GT>>

which has 2.7 cu ft storage...which shows why you buy a particular car...and if 'trunk space' is important then that eliminates many a GT/Sports car...
Old 08-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by MGB-for now
a power top - the motor of which would consume even more stow space?
No. The power top takes up no more storage space than the manual top does.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Terry34
Instructor

One of the reasons I bought my C5 vert was the trunk size. It lets us take long trips which would not be possible with a smaller trunk. If the trunk is as small as Road & Track says we'll be looking elsewhere when its time to replace the C5. It doesn't make sense that the C6 Coupe has almost as much space as the C5 but the vert has half the space and less than a Miata.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:13 AM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

The cut space it due to the power top option. It has a partition protecting the motor and top. The manual top does not have this so the only space lose is about 6" in the width and no center storage compartment.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:46 AM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

One of the reasons I stick with my coupe... Im a heavy packer on trips...
Old 08-23-2004, 10:52 AM
MYBLU71
Racer

Originally Posted by blittle
The latest issue of Road & Track has a great article on the new vert, HOWEVER, on the specs sheet it indicates the cargo space of the trunk as being 5.1 cu. ft ( top down)..............is that right???? If so, then it is only half of the C5 vert ( 10.2 top down ) Anybody know for sure on this..............I can't imagine that they would have wacked half of the space

The only thing storage space wise that has changed is the divider.. The divider can be dropped down flat to use the entire space for storage. The difference between a 2004 and 2005 vert storage space is very minimal. And for those of you who like to pack lots o'stuff... pack with the top down and utilize the space below the top itself!! That is what I do.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by john m
three changes...
first, there is a partition that separates the top assembly from the trunk area....

This partition is only on vets with powertop.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:43 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MYBLU71
The difference between a 2004 and 2005 vert storage space is very minimal. .

Ok.....now this is getting confusing Who has seen the vert and looked in the trunk? Is there really a big difference nor not? I hope the guys saying there is not much difference are right! Right now we can put a 24"x16"x10" high soft sided suitcase in the C5 vert with room for standard airline carryon after that! And that is with the top DOWN.
Why so important? Well, if you are planning to fly to Nashville, stay a couple days, pick up your new C6 vert at the museum and put your stuff in the trunk to go home...........you get the idea. The dealers always used to to say with the C5 "there's room for two sets of golf clubs" Maybe they will have a vert at Carlisle......I'll take my tape!
Old 08-23-2004, 02:00 PM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

With the power top there is less space due to the partition. Plus you lose 6" in the width and the Center storage space is gone due to the exhaust is now in the center. Also behind the seats is another partition type of device that has the rear speakers mounted to it. So you lose access to the area directly behind the seat. I do not keep much in my car, but the wife and I do take it on trip and that space behind the seat does get used with some small items.

I went over the car pretty good during the Cruise-In and this is what I noticed about it and the amount of storage it has. Not to say this will change any with the final car.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:00 PM
RonnieC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
This partition is only on vets with powertop.

Wrong! All verts, (power and manual tops) have the partition. The 2 motors for the power top do not take up any usable trunk space. the C6 vert has 2.2 cubic feet less than the C5 vert.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Tonks
Intermediate

From the measurements that I took in BG in April, it is 3" narrower from wheelwell to wheelwell. Floor moved up makes for 1" less height and 6" less depth from front to back with the Top up.

I am not happy either, we have taken many trips over the years with our C5 Convertibles and always had room for luggage and shopping along the way.

This is going to be a challenge like going back to a C4.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Trunk capacities in cubic feet:

C5 Coupe: 24.8
C6 Coupe: 22.4

C5 Vert top up: 13.9
C6 Vert top up: 10.4

C5 Vert top down: 11.2
C6 Vert top down: 5.1
C6 Vert power top down: 5.1

The C6 'Vert loses about 3.5 cubic feet mostly due to the loss of the center compartment and the shortening of the rear. The rest is lost due to "improvements" in the top's design against noise.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 convertible trunk.....half the space??

Old 08-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die

Originally Posted by RonnieC6
Wrong! All verts, (power and manual tops) have the partition. The 2 motors for the power top do not take up any usable trunk space. the C6 vert has 2.2 cubic feet less than the C5 vert.

You might want to look in the owners manual. Only verts with the powertop have the partition. You must be reading magazines again.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:08 PM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

There are 2 partitions I believe. One behind the seats to seperate the front from the top and one in the trunk to seperate the trunk from the top. I remember seeing the one in the trunk at the Museum on the Vert. with the power top, but do not remember seeing it in the Vert. that came to the hotel that night. Does not mean it was not ther I just do not remember it being there at the time.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Page 2-47 of the owner's manual, "For vehicles equipped with power convertible top option only, there is a trunk partition to keep cargo from getting in the way of the convertible top. The trunk partition must be in place for the top to move. Your vehicle has an indicator that will not allow you to move the convertible top if the trunk partition is not in place."

Quick Reply: C6 convertible trunk.....half the space??