Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
richbell
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
richbell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Austin Texas
Default 6 CD changer won't play above track 9 bug found and FIX!

I have made GM aware of the problem through my guy in Bowling Green. With his help GM promptly had the radio guy on it. They are now sorting the problem out and new production cars with 6 CD should not have this problem.

It has to possibly do with the first CD you insert on Day 1. I don't recall using an MP3 as my first disc but could of.. this could have caused the problem.

Here is the fix which I have already successfully implemented! You will need a CD with 50 tracks of MP3 on it. Be sure that all 50 tracks work correctly on another player.

1) Eject all CDs

2) With the radio on.. pull the radio fuse. It is located under the passenger dash under the toe panel. There is a clear document on the fuse panel as to which fuse the radio fuse is. You will also find the fuse puller assembly to help you out.

3) Put the fuse back in.

4) Next load the CD with the 50 MP3 songs. Immediately before any of them play set track to #50. It should begin to play. Check other tracks.

5) That's it!! You are now fixed and all CDs normal or MP3 should play above track #9

I was told that this problem will not reoccur after the fix.
__________________
66 and 05 Priviously owned 79, 86, 89, 91, 97 and 98 Corvettes 93 and 94 Dodge Vipers
richbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
Hoosier Red
CF Senior Member
 
Hoosier Red's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego CA
Default

Do have to say any magic words or sprinkle special radio dust during the process?
Hoosier Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
need-for-speed
CF Senior Member
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'07-'09-'10
 
need-for-speed's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2000
Location: Conroe Texas
Default

Good job Rich . I love a happy ending!!
need-for-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
98Pace00Jeep
NCM Lifetime Member
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
98Pace00Jeep's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Knoxville Tennessee Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Default

Guess someone needs to pass around the cd with the 50 tracks of mp3's on it...
__________________
Ron



98Pace00Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:06 PM   #5
OMG
CF Senior Member
 
OMG's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Charleston/Lake Villa IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Pace97Coupe
Guess someone needs to pass around the cd with the 50 tracks of mp3's on it...
I'm seen tracks with +80 mp3's on it...
OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:11 PM   #6
THE BUD MAN
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12
 
THE BUD MAN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Tarpon Springs Florida
Default

do you ever wonder how anyone could ever come up with such a fix?
THE BUD MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #7
richbell
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
richbell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Austin Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG
I'm seen tracks with +80 mp3's on it...

Yep.. I guess 50 is a number that was necessary to fix the bug. Should now play any number of tracks.
richbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #8
richbell
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
richbell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Austin Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BUD MAN
do you ever wonder how anyone could ever come up with such a fix?
It IS STRANGE I agree. I am not sure how long it took the radio expert at the plant to figure this out. I was told it was an infancy bug.. and that this would only happen to people with certain radios that play an MP3 as the first CD. That's why others don't seem to be having the problem. Now the bug is fixed for all new production.

I am waiting to see if Tom will find this fix works for him too.. Muich better than ripping the radio out!

Last edited by richbell; 09-09-2004 at 08:49 PM.
richbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:03 PM   #9
sorka
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: los gatos, ca
Default

Cool. Now what's the fix to get the nav cd to play mp3s?
sorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:19 PM   #10
LarryJ
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Default

I don't believe the battery disconnect is necessary to fix the problem...if I played an mp3 disc with 4 tracks, I could only play the first four tracks on any successive cd audio disc. Then playing an mp3 disc with 10 tracks limited the cd playback to the first 10 tracks.

So somehow playing an mp3 disc limits the number of cd tracks from cd audio discs.

I don't think you'll see a problem as long as you play mp3 discs with more than 20 tracks which is generally the number of cd audio tracks on a disc.

Just my $0.02 worth
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:14 AM   #11
richbell
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
richbell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Austin Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I don't believe the battery disconnect is necessary to fix the problem...if I played an mp3 disc with 4 tracks, I could only play the first four tracks on any successive cd audio disc. Then playing an mp3 disc with 10 tracks limited the cd playback to the first 10 tracks.

So somehow playing an mp3 disc limits the number of cd tracks from cd audio discs.

I don't think you'll see a problem as long as you play mp3 discs with more than 20 tracks which is generally the number of cd audio tracks on a disc.

Just my $0.02 worth
The engineer at the plant said it would be necessary to reset the processing system of the 6 CD changer. Previous to this it would not play greater than track 9 for even MP3 disks. Resetting the system allowed tracks greater than 9 to again be acted upon.

Anyway the fuses under the toe panel on the passenger side are well marked an very easy to get to so.. no problems.
richbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:16 AM   #12
Lazerwolfe
CF Senior Member
 
Lazerwolfe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: I am Jack's out-dated Fight Club reference. MD
Default

That's awesome. Good work, Rich.
The power of the forum! *bows down*
Lazerwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:23 AM   #13
clem zahrobsky
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
 
clem zahrobsky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: delmont pa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbell
I have made GM aware of the problem through my guy in Bowling Green. With his help GM promptly had the radio guy on it. They are now sorting the problem out and new production cars with 6 CD should not have this problem.

It has to possibly do with the first CD you insert on Day 1. I don't recall using an MP3 as my first disc but could of.. this could have caused the problem.

Here is the fix which I have already successfully implemented! You will need a CD with 50 tracks of MP3 on it. Be sure that all 50 tracks work correctly on another player.

1) Eject all CDs

2) With the radio on.. pull the radio fuse. It is located under the passenger dash under the toe panel. There is a clear document on the fuse panel as to which fuse the radio fuse is. You will also find the fuse puller assembly to help you out.

3) Put the fuse back in.

4) Next load the CD with the 50 MP3 songs. Immediately before any of them play set track to #50. It should begin to play. Check other tracks.

5) That's it!! You are now fixed and all CDs normal or MP3 should play above track #9

I was told that this problem will not reoccur after the fix.
what are MP3? different than regular CDs
clem zahrobsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:31 AM   #14
_Nomad_
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
 
_Nomad_'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem zahrobsky
what are MP3? different than regular CDs
__________________
1966 Milano Maroon Convertible

327/300 HP | #'s Matching | 4-Speed | Knock-Offs | Side-Pipes | Leather Interior | Both Tops
Teak Steering Wheel
_Nomad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:32 AM   #15
burtonbl103
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13
 
burtonbl103's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Boston MA
Default MP3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem zahrobsky
what are MP3? different than regular CDs

Mp3s are a compressed audio format that allows you to store hundreds of songs on a standard 700mb cd. Opposed to a regular audio cd that can only hold 70 min of music.

I just wish the nav played mp3s or at least had a aux in for my ipod.
I still have a way to go before my vert c6 is built.
I am still undicided on withch to get.
My friend got the nav in his coup , it is really cool but for the money it should play mp3s and/ or also let you hook up external players to it or a least a 6 disk changer in the trunk.

It will be intresting to see what happens once some of the aftermarket companys get this.
Yoe might be able to hook up like a kenwood music keg to it through fm modulation , but i dont know what the quality of the music will sound like



Last edited by burtonbl103; 09-10-2004 at 06:36 AM.
burtonbl103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:15 AM   #16
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09
Support Corvetteforum!
 
BuckyThreadkiller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2001
Location: Top of the hill, 3rd mailbox on the right. Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonbl103
I just wish the nav played mp3s or at least had a aux in for my ipod.
Got a $30 FM transmitter for mine and it works great! Runs off a AAA battery and you can stick the iPod in the console or the misses' purse. No wires no fuss and 10000 songs. Works through the home stereo too.
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #17
clem zahrobsky
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
 
clem zahrobsky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 1999
Location: delmont pa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonbl103
Mp3s are a compressed audio format that allows you to store hundreds of songs on a standard 700mb cd. Opposed to a regular audio cd that can only hold 70 min of music.

I just wish the nav played mp3s or at least had a aux in for my ipod.
I still have a way to go before my vert c6 is built.
I am still undicided on withch to get.
My friend got the nav in his coup , it is really cool but for the money it should play mp3s and/ or also let you hook up external players to it or a least a 6 disk changer in the trunk.

It will be intresting to see what happens once some of the aftermarket companys get this.
Yoe might be able to hook up like a kenwood music keg to it through fm modulation , but i dont know what the quality of the music will sound like


i guess that means the if i just use regulars CDs in my CD player in my C-6 i will not have this problem,correct?
clem zahrobsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:08 AM   #18
docrings1
CF Senior Member
C6 FAQ Master
 
docrings1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Pensacola FL
Default

There's a link going around on the Mercedes-Benz boards on how to "mod" their DVD/CD players in the new SLK350 to play DVD movies on the NAV screen. This is possible in the European cars, but thanks to the lawyers in America, "locked-out" from US cars. It requires the dealer computer hookup system, and a willing technician (and a couple six packs of his favorite beverage, along with a promise not to sue if you wreck you car while watching Braveheart on the interstate.)
Any Chevy gurus working on modding the DVD player/NAV in the C6?
docrings1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #19
LarryJ
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Default

If you just use regular CD-Audio discs then you will not have a problem.

If you use MP3 CD-Rom discs with a reasonable number of mp3 songs you will not have a problem either.

However, if anyone has previously inserted an mp3 disc with a couple of songs on it before you took delivery of the car (e.g. at the dealership) then you could still see the problem.

The work-around if you see the problem is to create a cd-rom mp3 disc with > 30 songs and insert it into the radio.

I found that I didn't need to pull the radio fuse to fix the cd audio playback...I just needed to insert an mp3 disc with more tracks on it than regular cd-audio.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:46 AM   #20
biggator6
CF Senior Member
 
biggator6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Default

They didn't include an AUX input for using portable devices?!

I ordered the NAV, figured I could live without the MP3 playback - since it would likely have an AUX input (doesn't EVERY new car have one!?) for my Iriver 20G...

I suppose one can always be installed aftermarket - FM modulated, etc.. but still.
"-)
biggator6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:46 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page 6 CD changer won't play above track 9 bug found and FIX!
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1996, 1999, 6cd, c5, cd, changer, corvette, fix, gm, jaguar, magnetized, mp3, play, radio, reset, wont


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Emails & Password Backup