C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M3 v. CTS-V on a back to back Test Drive...Plus C6 review

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M3 v. CTS-V on a back to back Test Drive...Plus C6 review

...The Car search Saga continues. Cross Posted at:
Cadillac Forums
LS1Tech
M3Forum
(Corvette C6 Review at bottom...since we only sat in it and didn't get to drive it)

My Fiancée and I went out yesterday and test drove a 2003 SMG Convertible M3, 2003 M3 Coupe Manual and a 2005 CTS-V. Got a fairly good run in all three, especially the CTS-V. Here are our observations.

Exterior
Him: (Tie) I'm split equally on the M3 vs. CTS-V. The M3 looks more refined and upscale. The CTS-V looks mean and has attitude. Kind of like the difference between a Viper and a Ferrari. The Viper has Attitude, the Ferrari is "pretty".

Her: (M3) She hates the looks of the CTS-V, hates even more the Cadillac emblem on the fenders. I think she could look at the M3 all day long.

Interior
Him: (M3) The CTS-V has a bigger interior, much more useful and many more features. The Value is really there. The materials though are still rather bunk, especially the plastics used on the door locks. GM did a much better job on the plastics in the C6, the V still isn't "there" yet on the materials. It is "there" in terms of options. Heck I think remote start is the only thing they left out. The M3 by is stark and small, the seats are tight and there isn't much elbow room. that said the quality of the plastics are higher, the seams are tight and there is this indescribably higher "feeling" of quality to the fit and finish. The M3 interior is more dated, yet it still feels more upscale. My impression here is quality vs. features and convenience, I'll have to give the nod to the M3 on this one.

Her: (CTS-V) used to the interior of the e39 M5, the e46 M3 interior is stark in contrast. She really wasn't fond of the lack of features and simple straight forward lay out. No buttons, no warmth to the interior. too clinical. By contrast she agreed with me that the use of materials in the CTS-V was cheap, and she hated the vents in the V as well. that said she much preferred the roomy feel of the interior space and much preferred all the features of the V. She also commented that the seats were much more comfortable in the V. For her it was fairly easy choice of the CTS-V.

Ride and Drive...casual
Him: (CTS-V) Yep, it's a Cadillac. On laid back driving the CTS-V feels like a dream and just floats. Very quiet and the road doesn't bother you at all. No noises no squeaks no rattles. There is a little vibration at idle at a stand still from what I imagine is the LS6, but that doesn’t bother me at all. At cruise the motor just purrs itself to sleep. The M3 is also very tight but you hear wind noise, feel a little vibration, even coasting down the road you are still driving this car. Of note here on the M3 SMG vs. Manual, I found in soft driving the Automatic mode is PAINFUL I felt like a 15 year old was doing the shifting. In Manual mode the SMG tranny is a little smoother but still no where near the same league as the Manual. I found the inability to drop the SMG into neutral and coast to a stop annoying as it really made soft cruising difficult. The CTS-V shifter was more vague but in soft driving it really wasn't a concern. The V always had power available so you never really felt stressed out. The M3 you had to anticipate what was going on to make sure you had enough revs even in soft driving. For Soft Driving overall I'll give it to the CTS-V

Her: (CTS-V) I think the spacious cabin was really a determining factor here, she didn't drive either one, but from the passenger seat she said the V was much more comfortable and less abrasive. The M3 was "too noisy".

Power & Acceleration
Him: (CTS-V) The LS6 motor is awesome, even better than the e39 M5 V8 as it has gobs of power everywhere you need it. The car felt significantly more powerful and faster than the M3. Then I shifted gears and got a little axle hop, which made the car lunge a little..ugh. Tried it again with a slower shift and the tires caught just fine and really launched it into second gear. The vague shifter make the car almost impossible to do super hard acceleration in. For instant power the V really has it. The M3 by contrast felt very weak to me. I really had to rev the pee out of the motor to get it to work. Really no torque so it didn't feel very strong at all. Now here is the interesting thing. The SMG under hard acceleration is WONDERFUL! Under "S6" it shifts so fast you get no lunge between the shifts at all and it accelerates very smoothly. The Manual M3 shifted a little better under hard acceleration than the V. Seat of the driver's pants the V feels significantly more powerful, but looking at the actual results that's probably an illusion created by the torque of the motor.

Her (M3 convertible SMG ) This really threw me for a loop. In a straight line she felt the SMG Convertible felt the fastest. I think the reason for this was that the top was down (Giving the illusion of more speed), also she felt the acceleration was much smoother on the SMG so it was a constant pull. She hated the way the V "lunged" between the shifts and said rather than accelerating she felt like she was head banging. That was likely due to my inability to smoothly shift the V without having the axle bounce around.

Handling
Him (M3): Having time in an e39 M5, Vettes and the like I was heartily impressed with the CTS-V, It plows a little into the turn like an e39 M5 and feels like it's gonna wag the tail under hard acceleration out of the turn in a way the e39 M5 doesn't. Subjective seat of the pants testing says the CTS-V is the equal to a Dinan e39 M5 in raw at the limit handling with maybe a little more body roll and less confidence. Then the M3.....oh my freak'n Lord this thing feels like a dream in the corners. As much as this car is the equal of a Corvette in terms of handling it communicates so well with the driver it feels like it's superior to a Corvette (C5 with Hotchkiss suspension). In many ways it reminds me of an EVO in the corners, that is you enter a corner much faster than you think you should and leave the corner underwelmed by the total lack of drama as the M3 laughs at you for being such a Wussy, hands down and by a wide margin the M3 is the corner carver here. When it comes to SMG vs Manual, the manual was more fun in the corners, but I would say they're about equal. With experience I think the SMG would be better.

Her: (M3?) "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!" I think between the screams she said the M3 was "less scary than the CTS-V" Whatever that means...well I'll interpret that to be the M3 handles better.

Overall
I learned two things yesterday
(1) Both cars are slower than my Trans Am with Bolt ons

(2) But that doesn't matter because my Trans Am is a Pig of a handler. The V and the M both make my car feel like a Boat.

The M3 is probably "more fun" than the CTS-V, the CTS-V is by far more practical. Looking at the cost to modify, the CTS-V has more potential, but the weight in the corners is gonna be a hard thing to modify out.

Corvette C6: We looked at a C6 corvette after all this (sat in...did not drive), and both of us fell in love. If I could get a good deal on one and not have to wait a month this could be a first choice for me. The C6 interior is vastly superior to the CTS-V in terms of materials and fit and finish, and (Gasp) I think it might almost be the equal to the M3 in that area too (now that I've sat in both back to back). There were some features I wasn't too fond of like the plasticy silver "accent" around the door open button. I also didn't like how the open pad on the outside creeps around the door jam. They did that "right" on the Caddy XLR, don't know why they had to do it the other way on the C6. The Body panel fit and finish was not that great on the C6 especially around the "end cap" where the rear bumper attaches to the body. It looks like it was smashed in.. (Like it was attached so tightly that it bulged the end cap in). Overall thought we both agreed that the interior and exterior of the Vette is much better than the CTS-V and M3.

Anyhow after a lot of seat time in various C5 cars, the C6 looks exciting, but it would take a test drive in a C6 to win me away from the practicality of a back seat and a real trunk and I hardly think we'd be fortunate enough to find a dealer giving out test drives of cars they're asking $5,000 over sticker for

So..... this weekend it's off to go look at the C32, C55 and S4.
-Adam
Old 09-15-2004, 12:13 PM
AJ 7
Heel & Toe

I had a 03 M3 vert. and sold it this spring. It was just ok for
me. I wasn't to crazy about the SMGII. I have a 04 S4 with mn6. This is my 1st audi and I am very pleased. Seats are more
comfortable than the m3. My C6 should arrive next week so I could you a comparsion of all three. Good Luck
Old 09-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AJ 7
I had a 03 M3 vert. and sold it this spring. It was just ok for
me. I wasn't to crazy about the SMGII. I have a 04 S4 with mn6. This is my 1st audi and I am very pleased. Seats are more
comfortable than the m3. My C6 should arrive next week so I could you a comparsion of all three. Good Luck
Well I'm giving a V8 S4 a test drive this weekend. At this point I'm leaning toward the M3, and my Fiancee is leaning toward the C6. The problem with the C6 will be depreciation in 4 years (buying at MSRP now gives a huge depreciation delta) plus I need a car now, not two months from now. The advantage with the M3 is I can get one barely used for $10K less than the Vette. My Fiancee likes the look of the C6 more and feels if I want a Vette I should get it now before we have kids.... That said she would only go for it if it was an automatic so she could drive it too. As for the CTS-V they have some really high depreciation right now, and that concerns me. Also It wouldn't be as fun to drive as the M3 or as fast as my current TA.

-Adam
Old 09-15-2004, 01:56 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Cool and informative review there, Adam. Any talk about how much those cars are going for in relation to MSRP? And how were the salespeople you dealt with?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:04 PM
BLK-DVL
Pro

It took me 6 emails to get one for MSRP. All I did was email several local dealers looking for a C6 for MSRP, and had two willing to do it that same day. Just need to find a high volume dealer that doesnt rip people off.
Next ill try and work on getting GM supplier discount since it is not that much off.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RichieRich
Cool and informative review there, Adam. Any talk about how much those cars are going for in relation to MSRP? And how were the salespeople you dealt with?
I'm looking at used M3's, they've been out long ebough that there is a huge supply of low mileage like new condition M3's in the $44K-$50K range ($10K savings over new). I went to a used BMW store and the sales-lady was very knowledgable about the car. She also gave high praise for the CTS-V and was very candid in her views about the pros and cons of each. The M3 I was most interested in was a 2003 with 3,200 miles Coupe 6-speed for $49,000. The Sales guy at the Caddy dealership? Don't know, didn't really talk to him. I saw they had some 2004 models they were selling on discount for $47K ($5K off sticker). Showed upa nd Gery was with another customer so he says "You're Adam?"
"yup"
"Here's the key comes back in an half an hour"
So I took it out for 45 Min Drove maybe 10-20 miles or so. Brought it back and they were closing down. Heading back today to chat some more about it.

The Vette was at Tom Jumper Chevrolet and I've worked with Reggie there before. This guy *LOVES* Corvettes. He owns (2) C6's right now. When I told him my Fiancee's uncle was Cardy Davis, the platform manager before Dave Hill, he about went nuts. Anyhow to clarify, they would sell me a Ordered C6 (5-week wait) for MSRP, but the one they had on the lot (Precision Red, A4 F55, 1SB Nav) they would sell for $5K over sticker because it was their last one and they had to keep one on the lot. f I got the C6 I really would want an A4/Z51 Le Mans Blue, and that would take Lord knows how long.

BTW, Reggie was rather down on the CTS-V saying their sister Caddy dealership was having a tough time selling them because they don't appeal to a Caddy buyer. I can agree with that as I'm more of a BMW-type myself and don't really think of Caddy and performance at the same time.

-Adam

Last edited by Adam Bruce; 09-15-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:24 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for the great post!

I have not driven the CTS-V or M3, but I think they are both neat cars. I have driven a base CTS (witht the new 3.6 engine). I was dissapointed in the looks of the interior. They need to make it more like the new STS.

I have also driven BMW 330's. BMW 3 series interiors look cheap and plain (as you stated) even though the actual quality is probably okay.

I'll be very interested in your report on the S4. Very neat car for a daily driver - which I could afford one to replace my Acura TL!

Good luck and keep us informed. And keep the threads C6 related - I'll never see them in the "other cars" or "off topic" forums.

Old 09-15-2004, 03:28 PM
paystyle
Pro

All the cars you're looking at, I pretty much already did, and was heavily eying the M3 especially. In the end, decided to go w/the Vette b/c it was prettier, newer body, more powerful, and better gas mileage that all the cars you mentioned. The M3 body is in its 3rd year I believe, and is set to change soon. Since you're in ATL, why don't you give Monica Dean a call and if you're flexible on the options you may be able to come up on one in a month or so, at MSRP, though I don't think the test drive is likely. For me, test drives aren't that big of a deal if I like everything else, and in the C6, I like everything, no competition. Get a C6 and enjoy your life while you still don't need a minivan (I'm assuming).
Old 09-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jschindler
Thanks for the great post!
Thanks
Good luck and keep us informed. And keep the threads C6 related - I'll never see them in the "other cars" or "off topic" forums.

Trust me thats the easy part, I'm on my way out to Maxie Price right now to go check out some of their C6 inventory right now.

For me (age 31) I'm in a difficult spot, either get a 2-seat car now or wait 20 years until after we have kids. If I get one now, I'll catch Hell from both sides of the family being "irresponsible" with our money. Personally I would love to get the car, I'm just wondering if it's going to be worth putting up with the BS I'm going to get for it. If I get a BMW, my Blue-Collar extended family is going to give me hell for "wasting" money, if I get a Caddy friends are going to give me hell for buying an "old-fart" car.

Can't win trying to impress people huh?
Old 09-15-2004, 03:32 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Has anyone here sampled a test drive on the F-55 Magnetic suspension? I only know this that cost to replace the front shocks are $589.00 each and the rears $500.00 and this is per Ken Fictner so that is a discount as they are $750.00 each retail. Is this the price we have to pay for smoother roads? Or just stick with the base suspension?
Old 09-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Dsob15
Burning Brakes

I have the base suspension in mine. It's very smooth for just cruising and very tight in the twisties. I think the ride in mine is perfect. The perfect balance between comfort and performance. I wouldn't waste the money on F55. Definitely go with the 3.15 axle though if you're going with auto. Black/ebony is a great combo too IMO...
Old 09-15-2004, 05:09 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsob15
I have the base suspension in mine. It's very smooth for just cruising and very tight in the twisties. I think the ride in mine is perfect. The perfect balance between comfort and performance. I wouldn't waste the money on F55. Definitely go with the 3.15 axle though if you're going with auto. Black/ebony is a great combo too IMO...
Thank you for your input Yes I am getting the auto with 3.15 rear end, dual tops, 1SA with Ebony interior. The F-55 vs. the base suspension is up in the air cause I hate the idea of paying $589.00 a shock for the front and $500.00 a shock for the rear and remember now that is from Ken fictner which is a discounted price instead of the $750.00 a shock retail price. But we have the most Fked up roads out here so I need the softest ride I can get in a Corvette. I can't make up my mind yet on exterior color between Artic White or Red. Artic White has so many more good qualities over the Red and white is more rare but has a lower resale value than red if you look at it that way. But see I already have a White 1988 5.0 5 spd. Mustang GT with 3.55 gears in cherry condition. "All Corvettes are red"..Red fades with time and will be a higher maintenance color than white. White will last longer, stay cooler, reflects the heat and is more forgiving in touch-up painting, paint matching, swirl marks, and shows dirt less. Sheesh I have alot of problems decisions decisions
Old 09-15-2004, 06:01 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Great comparison. You could write for a magazine. I'm interested to see your comparisons of the S4 also. I'm coming into the same period of life as you(I'm 30), but I still have my C5 and also a beater. You have a tough decision, but at least all the cars you are looking at are exciting. One question, are you going to check out an EVO or STI? They would be exciting and cheaper. Only drawback is the interiors and maybe exterior depending on your styling preferences.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:02 PM
pdvale
Burning Brakes

My wife has a 2003 SMG M3 that I have driven a couple times. The S6 mode changes gear very fast and when the launch control is used the cars gets going from a stop quickly. I still prefer to drive the Z06, but If I had to have a car the had 4 seats.. a M3 would be high on the list.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Dsob15
Burning Brakes

I would recommend the CLK55 AMG. I personally had a black vert...It is very fast and handles very well. It also has the nicest back seat I've seen in a vert, even better than the M3. The price is a bit higher, but I think it's well worth it. I also sold it for almost the same price I bought it for...If not the CLK55, check out the CLK500. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:17 PM
csdoc
Advanced

Adam,

Thanks for your nice review.

I have an 03 M3 with SMG. For what it's worth, you can shift into neutral and coast.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 09-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
For me (age 31) I'm in a difficult spot, either get a 2-seat car now or wait 20 years until after we have kids. If I get one now, I'll catch Hell from both sides of the family being "irresponsible" with our money.
I assume this is not your only car, and you're not the only driver. Why is it that both cars must be able to ferry the tykes? A little thinking ahead should make this a minor inconvenience, not a show-stopper.

As for what other people think -- are they trying to please you? So why should you be trying to please them? Do what's right for you, not what they understand.

.Jinx

Get notified of new replies

To M3 v. CTS-V on a back to back Test Drive...Plus C6 review

Old 09-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jinx
I assume this is not your only car, and you're not the only driver. Why is it that both cars must be able to ferry the tykes? A little thinking ahead should make this a minor inconvenience, not a show-stopper.

As for what other people think -- are they trying to please you? So why should you be trying to please them? Do what's right for you, not what they understand.

.Jinx
Jinx, you beat me to it. I already have two kids so let me speak to this. My wife had a Honda CR-V when we got married which is perfectly fine for hauling the kids. So far in two years, there has never been an instance when I was stuck for transportation. If I need to take one of the kids, the car seat fits just fine (turn off the airbag!). If I need to take both kids, I take the Honda. My Dad worked on a GM line all his life and I wouldn't be able to bring myself to buy German. If my future father-in-law was going to be Cardy Davis.....well, you do whatever you think is right.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS WON
Thank you for your input Yes I am getting the auto with 3.15 rear end, dual tops, 1SA with Ebony interior. The F-55 vs. the base suspension is up in the air cause I hate the idea of paying $589.00 a shock for the front and $500.00 a shock for the rear and remember now that is from Ken fictner which is a discounted price instead of the $750.00 a shock retail price. But we have the most Fked up roads out here so I need the softest ride I can get in a Corvette. I can't make up my mind yet on exterior color between Artic White or Red. Artic White has so many more good qualities over the Red and white is more rare but has a lower resale value than red if you look at it that way. But see I already have a White 1988 5.0 5 spd. Mustang GT with 3.55 gears in cherry condition. "All Corvettes are red"..Red fades with time and will be a higher maintenance color than white. White will last longer, stay cooler, reflects the heat and is more forgiving in touch-up painting, paint matching, swirl marks, and shows dirt less. Sheesh I have alot of problems decisions decisions
I agree the price of replacing that system would make me a little leary, but I don't understand your issue on color. If you are going to keep the Vette long enough for the red to fade, you probably won't see much difference in resale between the two. I don't think you're going to see much fade unless you park it in the sun and never touch it for the next 10 years. Wash and polish it occassionally and you won't notice much problem.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:59 AM
Adam Bruce
Melting Slicks

...wow... thats all I can say. Went to Maxie Price tonight and drove my first C6 (Z51 Auto).......wow.......

Had dinner talked it over with the Fiancee...went back to Maxie Price to put down an offer, and as I'm entering the parking lot my phone rings and it's a friend telling me that Hurricane Ivan has turned direction and is hitting Pensacola (my home town where my family still lives)....

...so a rash heat of the moment purchase almost occured tonight, gotta deal with the hurricane right now, so I'll get back to the car hunt after the weather calms down a bit... ugh.....

..man that car was amazing.....

Quick Reply: M3 v. CTS-V on a back to back Test Drive...Plus C6 review