C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dang - 1st problem already

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 09:47 PM
sah5150
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djhartm
While driving around Napa yesterday, I noticed the message "Service Fuel System" displayed on the DIC. The message quickly went away, and I hoped it was a fluke.

Unfortunately, the message came back, and this time I noticed the fuel-gauge would go to empty. Then it would return to normal and the message would clear. Also the check-engine light stayed on.

So, I'm guessing a loose connection or a short in the fuel-gauge, or a defective gauge. I'll try & get a service appointment tomorrow.

1 week old & 622 miles.
Same exact thing just happened to me today. No info from the dealer yet, but I assume I'm in for an FSU replacement as well. Great... just over 1000 miles, little more than a month old. I had just filled the tank with the highest octane Mobil available at most local Southern California stations (91, I believe). Nice to know that my month old car will have to have the fuel tank pulled to replace a part that was a common problem in the C5...
Old 01-24-2005, 10:00 PM
djhartm
Racer

I think it was simply a bad part. I now have close to 4k miles & have been using the same premium gas from Safeway, Valero, Arco, 76, etc., as I was initially using from the same stations.

The problem has not resurfaced.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:05 PM
sah5150
Intermediate

djhartm,

That's good to hear. I'm hoping things go the same for me after the work is done...

Thanks for posting...

Steve
Old 01-24-2005, 11:06 PM
sah5150
Intermediate

I think this FSU problem should be front and center in the Known Issues in the FAQ. We now have 3 confirmed cases...

Steve
Old 01-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Jim91Vert
Drifting

Originally Posted by sah5150
I think this FSU problem should be front and center in the Known Issues in the FAQ. We now have 3 confirmed cases...

Steve
Send a PM to docrings1. I sent him a suggestion for something to add to the FAQ and he responded within a day or two.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:35 AM
jmrc5
Racer

Originally Posted by C5inNY
This is a common problem across mutiple car makers and hits cars over many model years. It's the gas. Gas only comes from a few refiners in any area. All it takes is one mistake and a lot of gas gauges go in the crapper. This happened in NW PA this last summer and the PA Attorney General opened a hot line to handle all the complaints since it was costing owners several hundred dollars each to get gauges repaired on cars that were out of warranty.

Bill
It's the gas. I believe something similar happened in FL last year also. Upgrading the FSU may reduce the number of occurences, but the root cause is still the gas. Most of the rage expressed here should be directed at the refiners, not GM, Chevrolet, or Dave Hill.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:55 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had the FSU problem with my 03 coupe. Have yet to experience this problem with my 05 coupe. I've used nothing but Sunoco 94 Ultra gasoline in both rides.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:45 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by cam30era
Exactly the same thing happened on my C6 this past Friday. That's two of us.
Sorry to hear of the nuisance! Hope it's not catching!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

I also had the same message at around 650 miles. Car now has 1200 miles and message has not returned. Mobil premium and sunoco ultra used.....I first thought my gauge was showing empty because the g-force was pushing all the gas back but I guess a bad part makes more sense. Does this effect anything else besides the fuel gauge?
Nice site by the way. Glad you folks are here
Old 01-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by djhartm
Dealer said the FSU was bad. Part is on order & they will have to pull the tank to repair. Said it may be ready by Wednesday.

FSU is bad I didnt think there was enough room in there for Fla State University. Just kidding
Old 01-25-2005, 10:58 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boozman
FSU is bad I didnt think there was enough room in there for Fla State University. Just kidding
Common sentiment for both you and any major Post-season Bowls last season!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeyburnouts
ive heard of what 99c5vert is talking about. isnt this problem on more GM models than just the corvette? my DD 99 ZR2 does this as does my buddies Blazer..he said the same thing 99c5vert said was the cause
I've never had gas gauge problems with any car except my C5, which was in the shop twice to get the problem resolved. My 56 and 64 vettes don't have the problem. I can't say that the 56 has the original sensor/sender in the gas tank, but my 64 has, and both cars do sit for long periods between drives. I purchase gas for all four of my cars from the same stations. We don't have Chevron locally. Should I bear the expense of installing a 8,000 gal tank in the back yard and have special deliveries of Chevron gas made just so I can drive a C5 or a C6 corvette.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by VettXPert

I tried to warn them but all they do is bash here. Like Death and Taxes you can count on GM serving you up a crappy first model year car!
I have a 97, which is the first year of the C5, and it has been a good car overall. I have not had anymore problems than have plauged every model year of the C5 and less than some model years such as the oil burning 2001 models.

Unless the issue is the engine falling out of the car, you can count on a first year problem plauging every model year of the car's run.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:45 PM
sah5150
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sah5150
Same exact thing just happened to me today. No info from the dealer yet, but I assume I'm in for an FSU replacement as well. Great... just over 1000 miles, little more than a month old. I had just filled the tank with the highest octane Mobil available at most local Southern California stations (91, I believe). Nice to know that my month old car will have to have the fuel tank pulled to replace a part that was a common problem in the C5...
I have been notified by the dealer that my FSU is bad and that it must be replaced. Bummer...

Steve
Old 01-26-2005, 11:19 AM
sdvetter
Instructor

Default Same FSU Problem

My engine warning light came on at just under 700 miles followed shortly thereafter by the fuel gauge going dead and the message "Service Fuel System" coming on in the DIC. After re-starting the car, the gauge came back, but the engine warning light stayed on. After several more restarts, the engine warning light went off too. Then the whole sequence would happen again randomly as I drove around. Took it to the dealer and they first re-loaded the software which didn't work. Now they are in the process of replacing the FSU. According to the service manager, the gas should not impact the FSU, just impair performance (some pinging and loss of power) if you use the generic stuff like COSTCO. He did say that Chevron or other branded gas would be good to use every once in awhile to help keep the fuel injectors clean. He also said the replacement FSU was supposed to have gold tipped leads which might help prevent a reoccurrence, but he also said he wasn't sure whether the one installed during production had the same leads. Worse thing though was while my car was waiting to be fixed, the paint was scratched so now they also have to send it out to a body shop to have that fixed (At least they called to tell me about it instead of trying to slip it by me) In the meantime they gave me one of those huge GM full cab pick-ups as a loner. Will keep you guys posted after the FSU is replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Dang - 1st problem already

Quick Reply: Dang - 1st problem already