C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Owners - List Your Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 07:45 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Being this thread is close to ten years old makes me want to participate in the histoty.

'07 with 17,500 miles that was bought with 1,600 miles on the odo.

Cruise control was iffey for awhile. Been doing better lately which is good 'cause they don't know how to fix the thing until it quits altogether.

Had to have the rear diff fluid changed while on a road trip.

Clamp holding the CAI to the intake broke.

It's been a great car with many smiles to the mile.
You "had" to have the diff fluid changed? Why?
Old 09-21-2014, 08:43 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nothing yet.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:00 PM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intermittent blinking of the HVAC display. Will get it fixed under warranty when it gets bad enough. Had dealer make a note of it when I had the car in for its first oil change. Of course, it worked fine when they had it.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Wow...a 10 year old thread...amazing.lol..my only issue with my current 13 GS...and it's my 4th c6 since this thread started...is the painted top.Had the rear latch replaced but it still isn't tight in the back.It jumps every time I hit a bump.It is by far the worst of all the c6's I've owned in that regard.My 08 had the latches replaced under warranty because they made the dreaded noise...the 05 I had was fine because I kept it on a tender anytime it was parked overnight so no DBS issues..it did have the old clutch stuck to the floor issue once though. Lets see if this thread can last another 10 years!!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 AM
DMo2068
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzlove
Damn,..... I have developed a serious problem. I can't keep my foot off the gas...
Funny, I have the same issue. Keep burning rubber & can't figure out why
Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had one major reoccurring issue since I bought it and it seems to be getting worse.

I have to put it in storage from November to April.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:00 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

A couple of problems still the best car/vert ever. Most trouble free I have ever owned:

1) A/C Compressor made a chirping noise, replaced under warranty, after 2 years its chirping again

2) Passenger and Driver Vanity Mirror hinges dried out and broke, fixed by gluing shut since I never use it.

3) Handle for the convertible top rattles sometimes, fixed with a band aid, literally

4) Headlight bulb burned out after a trip in the rain, the rubber seal around the low beam bulb came loose and water got in. Could have been caused when my bumper was modified.

5) After 8 years, the convertible top is starting to wear on the passenger side rear most corner. Fully expected some wear.

6) I had to replace/tighten the rear driver axle nut

7) Had to zip tie the harness under the passenger side seat to keep the airbag light from coming on - the fix has been working for 3 years now.

8) Rear tires keep going bald

9) My wife says I spend too much time in the garage

I can't think of another thing wrong with this car. This car is driven hard and occasionally tracked. It is outstanding after 8 years.

Last edited by berk4422; 09-23-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Twowheelin_wildman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by berk4422
7) Had to zip tie the harness under the passenger side seat to keep the airbag light from coming on - the fix has been working for 3 years now.

Hmmmm my light came on the other day then went off a few minutes later, didn't give it much thought but now you got me thinking.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

1. Targa top pops and other annoying noises (fixed now with bigger o-rings)
2. I have the dealer replacing my driver seat foam. Its torn by the seat supports it sits on.
3. I had the top trim by the front shades replaced because the targa top was not assembled correctly and ripped the trim going on and off.

Other then thats its been flawless and wonderful car.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:58 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O.K., This was the thread I was looking for. I recently sold my "99" coupe and have been thinking about a c-6. I was wondering what typical problems the c-6 had like the c-5's did. I've owned 3 c-5's and they are darn good cars but the EBCM issues they are famous for finally got me thinking about moving to a c-6. Do the c-6's have any major problems that I should look for like the EBCM problem?
Dave
Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by JohnsC5
Intermittent blinking of the HVAC display. Will get it fixed under warranty when it gets bad enough. Had dealer make a note of it when I had the car in for its first oil change. Of course, it worked fine when they had it.
My 13GS has had the HVAC display unit replaced once and it looks like it's gonna get replaced again. Couple of coils and wires replaced twice! Squeaky roof. NAV is a POS but came optioned when I selected the car. Fine car though, I would have gladly paid extra for better quality control, but I have pretty low expectations of GM.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 AM
bontrager
Pro

Originally Posted by Jtaugner
2005 C6

Steering Column Lock.. sometimes will not allow the car to start until I pull the fuse

HUD has quit working

Replaced headlight lens covers @ 45k miles

Right front rotor was warped. Replaced @ 45k miles

"Options" back-lighting bulb has burnt out.

Mostly minor stuff, although the steering column lock gets under my skin.
I had my 2005 C6 manual for about 6 months now and not had a problem with the column lock although it could happen any day. I had a 2000 and had the column lock up.

In case this does happen, what fuse do I pull and re-insert to free the column?

Thank you
Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
bontrager
Pro

One concern. I have started to experience the sticking 1st gear sometime on my 2005 6 speed manual especially when approaching a red light, I always like to shift the car into neutral before coming to a stop. always have drove this way on any manual car that I have driven. Just depressing the clutch pedal again remedies this problem

I understand that it was just a problem with that model year.

is there a fix; changing the syncros ( 1 and 2) as one vendor has recommended or this and something else.

If this is just the case of different parts, I assume that can be purchased and any reliable transmission place can do the install ( even GM)?

Thank you.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:54 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The biggest problems are 1. it takes a long time to go to any place a 5 minute trip turns into an hour answering question to admires when people see and hear it. 2. also it is very fast and fun to drive, 3. I will regret the day I get rid of it forever.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:07 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

2006 Z06 43k miles

1. AC Compressor and condenser replaced under warranty.
2. Passenger side window regulator changed under warranty
3. Roof recall was done before I purchased it.
4. A rattle I can't seem to find in the rear trunk interior area when my sub hits certain tones.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:19 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Got my Z06 3 months ago and I've put 6,000 miles on it so far. So total of 43k miles on the car.

I didn't check the horn until intried to honk at some cows. Found out they didn't work. I replaced then and they work fine. Other than the gas tank going empty pretty quick when I'm having fun. No other issues.

Whoops, I forgot my clutch master cylinder failed on me during an autocross. The internals on the the piston fell apart. Reassembled the piston and it worked fine but I still replaced it with a Tick anyway.

Last edited by ttx350z; 09-24-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:22 PM
drakemortensen
2nd Gear

I just bought a 2005 vette with 60k miles on it. It has only been in the garage for 2 days and the battery seems to be dead. I parked it with it IN reverse and the parking brake on. I put a battery charger on it and on a 2 amp charge, the needle on the charger was "buryed" at 6+ amp charge, and the cables on the charger got hot within a minute or so. Anybody out there have any ideas???

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Owners - List Your Problems

Old 04-18-2015, 01:52 AM
mbsigman
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Car was built to my specs in 06, 07 model year. Was built after GM went with the new SMS roof. 25000 miles. A6 3LT.

Had the Crazy Cowboy insulation and a tunnel plate installed for quiet ride and heat control; both worked well. Also use the blockit under the rear carpet and behind the back seats. I had the 3M clearbra professionally installed almost as soon as I got the car, and that investment has saved my paint on numerous occasions. No yellowing.

To my utter surprise, the car has been the most mechanically reliable car I've ever owned. In the 7+ years I've owned it, only issues I've had (both covered under the extended warrantee) are the oil pan leak and the shifter occasionally not shifting out of park.

I have had one battery changed at the five year mark; the battery was fine, but I just didn't want to take a chance so I made a preemptive strike. Yes, I religiously use a battery tender. This past year I also had the brake fluid and coolant changed, again by the dealer, who uses some whiz-bang suction thing to flush and replenish the fluids. Most recently they performed the low beam service bulletin/recall thing, although the car never had an issue with that.

I have replaced the vast majority of interior components with leather from several different manufacturers (including the GM leather dash) and I've also replaced the door and rear speakers with the Double D Mod speaker package. HUGE difference in sound. Most interior bulbs were changed to LEDs as well.

After 7+ years I still go out to the garage and just - sit - in the car. Just love it. And my wife looks H-O-T in it, too!

PS In town with the air on, driving it like I stole it, I consistently get 23.5 mpg. When I was growing up if your car had 400 hp you were lucky to get 8 mpg.

Mike
Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 AM
LS3Knight
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Throttle body sensor went out at 21,000 miles, clutch fluid gets dirty fast, roof creaks.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:28 PM
10Seconds918
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My most nagging problem with owning my vette so far is not enough sunny days with free time to go cruise.

Hope it stays that way.

Quick Reply: C6 Owners - List Your Problems