C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Lid problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 12:31 AM
cet001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Lid problems

I've had my C6 for 1 day now. Yesterday, the trunk lid worked fine. To close it, I would just gently swing the lid down and then it would just latch shut on its own. To open it, I would press the black button by the license plate.

This morning, the trunk will no longer latch shut just by swinging it down. Now I have to press the lid fairly hard to get the motor to "suck" it shut. Also, pressing the black button above the license plate no longer opens the trunk, although I can open it with the key fob.

I searched on the forum and didn't find anything really. Did the trunk lid mechanism just break?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Several have noticed that both opening & closing are not consistent. Not finding the fob is probably the reason for not being able to open it.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:50 AM
cet001
Instructor

I figured out the "trunk lid doesn't latch properly" problem. I can replicate it like this:

1) Lid is fully closed
2) Pop the lid w/ the fob so that it is just cracked open
3) Press the lid back down until the motor pull it all the way shut.

From this point on, if the trunk lid is all the way open, I cannot shut just by gently pushing the lid down and letting it just fall the rest of the way (similar to the hood).

For some reason, if I release the trunk lid using the electric button next to the steering column, this behavior is reset.

On a separate note, I still cannot open the trunk lid using the button by the licence plate.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:58 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally decided that the hatch pulldown isn't designed to pull the hatch down by itself. It's just an "assist". I've gotten in the habit of not just letting it fall gently. I give it a slight nudge in the downward direction when I close it and it pulls down every time. When I try just laying it down and then pushing on it, it is inconsistent. Sometimes it pulls down and sometimes it doesn't. Just something you have to get used to I think.

As to the button not working, that's never happened to me. Is your FOB very close to the button (like in your pocket) when you try it? Also, does anyone know if you have to have passive lock/unlock enabled to be able to push the button and open the trunk? I have passive mode enabled on mine. If you don't, you might want to try activating it and see if the button starts working.

Mike
Old 10-21-2004, 10:05 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

Trunk lid is "assisted" by the motor in the rear.
If the doors are closed, you need to give the lid
a little extra effort on the pull down to get the motor
to suck it closed.
If a door is open, the lid closes with no resistance.
People should realize that this trunk lid thing is a sign
of the 'Vette being very tightly built - which is a positive
thing
Old 10-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by cet001
Also, pressing the black button above the license plate no longer opens the trunk, although I can open it with the key fob.

I searched on the forum and didn't find anything really. Did the trunk lid mechanism just break?
Although I responded previously about these 2 problem, I did just go back and read my owner's manual.

On page 2-14, it says, under the paragraph "Hatch/Trunk Lid Release" that for auto. trannys, the shift lever must be in PARK and that for manual trannys, the parking brake must be set. It then lists the 3 ways to open the hatch.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:09 PM
cet001
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
Although I responded previously about these 2 problem, I did just go back and read my owner's manual.

On page 2-14, it says, under the paragraph "Hatch/Trunk Lid Release" that for auto. trannys, the shift lever must be in PARK and that for manual trannys, the parking brake must be set. It then lists the 3 ways to open the hatch.
Yeah, I had read that -- the parking brake was indeed set and the tranny was in reverse. Still, the license plate button does not pop the trunk.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:12 PM
cet001
Instructor

Originally Posted by cet001
I figured out the "trunk lid doesn't latch properly" problem. I can replicate it like this:

1) Lid is fully closed
2) Pop the lid w/ the fob so that it is just cracked open
3) Press the lid back down until the motor pull it all the way shut.

From this point on, if the trunk lid is all the way open, I cannot shut just by gently pushing the lid down and letting it just fall the rest of the way (similar to the hood).

For some reason, if I release the trunk lid using the electric button next to the steering column, this behavior is reset.
ok, now the trunk does not close properly even when I use the aforementioned "remedy" to reset the behavior. Oh well, this is something I can live with until the first service.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:18 PM
C5XPert
Instructor

Well when I had my Cadillacs and YES even my 1987 Formula Firebird had electric assist hatch pulldown all you did was lightly click the lid on the pull down hook and the motor did the rest. My Allante' even had this 'assist" to latch the rear of the soft top. I dont understand why GM would have such a problem because the idea has been around for years.

Get notified of new replies

To Trunk Lid problems

Quick Reply: Trunk Lid problems