C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fast is C6?

Old 11-11-2004, 11:23 PM
fister
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is C6?

Hi, I am very close to buying a c6. I currently own an 04 M3. How fast is the c6? Can it keep up with the mercedes sl55 amg, or the e55 amg? I read that the c6 ='s or betters the new Carrera S. I have also heard that the Viper is a little faster than c6. Please give your opinions on how fast the c6 is please! Ps: I would never buy those Mercedes, they are extremely flamboyant in my opinion.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

The term is "scary fast". The car is so smooth, so quiet, and the power band is so wide, that you are flying in no time without realizing it.

In terms of real numbers, my guess is that the only thing under 100K that really competes is a Viper, but the Viper is a different animal.

I happened to watch the movie Space ***** over the weekend. Now, every time I pull onto the highway the phrase "Engage ludicrous speed" goes through my head.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:06 AM
fister
Intermediate

Really? Scary fast? Wow, that is what I like. What does it mean that the Viper is a different kind of animal? Ps: The c6 would blow away my current m3 right?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Rocketblock
Drifting

I had a Volkswagen 4 door Rabbit that was scary fast. That is a relative term!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:25 AM
08msmZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fister
Hi, I am very close to buying a c6. I currently own an 04 M3. How fast is the c6? Can it keep up with the mercedes sl55 amg, or the e55 amg? I read that the c6 ='s or betters the new Carrera S. I have also heard that the Viper is a little faster than c6. Please give your opinions on how fast the c6 is please! Ps: I would never buy those Mercedes, they are extremely flamboyant in my opinion.
It's faster than an M3 but not really a drag racer. It's primarily a road
course beast, IMO. The best magazine times so far, I think, have
been 0-60 (4.1) and 1/4 mile (12.6). The quarter time is good, but
many people say you're not running if you're not at least 12.5 in the
quarter. However, it's still a very well rounded, great handling, best
bang for the buck car. I'd say get a 2003+ Mustang Cobra and mod it
if all you're worried about is going fast in a straight line.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:28 AM
fister
Intermediate

I have bee driving my m3 for about a year now, and even though it is not an extremely fast car, most cars can't keep up with it. Now, the c6 is quite a bit lighter, with 400 hp and 400 tq. I think the c6 would blow my m3 away. I want to get the c6 and my wife is even coming around to the idea. I just want to be jerked really hard when I floor it, you know?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:36 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Not faster than a 125 grain hollowpoint.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:07 AM
fister
Intermediate

We also looked at the Viper, but that one was not as comfortable inside as the c6. Is the Viper way faster than c6 or is it pretty close?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:20 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There's little chance you'll see the top speed of a C6 unless you have access to a land speed record course. The straightaways of most tracks in the US are too short to let the car wind out to its maximum speed. Chevy says that's 186 MPH.

What's more important in a street driven car is how quickly it can jump to 60, or reach the 1/4 mile. The stock C6 does 0-60 in the low 4s, and the quarter in the high 12s. That's good enough to win most stoplight grand prix, and plenty good enough to handle normal driving in traffic. Those figures are within a few tenths of any of the supercars out there.

The broad torque curve of the V8 makes it a lot more driveable than most of the other supercars too.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:49 AM
UBETRUN
Pro

I just want to be jerked really hard when I floor it, you know?
I have the A4 w/Z51 higher rear end gearing. No matter what gear or RPM, I absolutely get jerked really hard when I floor it. The best part about the "jerk" is that it doesn't stop, it just keeps pulling until you're out of room. I've never had so much fun passing (legally of course) on 2 lane country roads, the car goes from cruising to flying in nothing flat.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:28 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

When my wife bought her 5 last year the active steering broke at 150 miles on the odo. The dealer agreed to put her in a new car but that one was 3 weeks out. Since she was in tears and I think scaring potential customers they hauled us out to the used lot and said she could take whichever one she wanted till her car got in. She pointed at a pre bangle 7, I said hold on, what about that M3 over there? Suprisingly enough she agreed. We were standing there with the used car manager and the sales manager. They both turned a little green but did not voice any protest. Thats how we ended up with an 03 M3 for what turned out to be 5 weeks. Great car. As far as power goes however the C6 feels much more powerful out on the road. The difference in feel is greater than the numbers would lead you to believe.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:16 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by crabman
As far as power goes however the C6 feels much more powerful out on the road. The difference in feel is greater than the numbers would lead you to believe.
That is the real question: do you want it to feel faster or be faster? Are you racing, just accelerating by yourself to feel good, or looking for bragging rights based on what some professional driver can get out of the car? I thought my M3 felt very fast. It felt even faster with the sport button pressed but it wasn't. Throttle response and torque make a big difference in feel. If you are drag racing with a manual, driver skill plays a bigger part than which car is actually faster. A better driver in a slower car will always be faster on a track since road races are won or lost in the corners where skill is the most important variable. Without back-to-back comparisons it is hard to tell, but the C6 I drove seemed to throw me back in the seat more than my M3 did. It certainly sounded better!

Alan
Old 11-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Groovepusher Sly
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

How fast is the C6?
How fast you want to go?
Hi, I am very close to buying a C6. I currently own an 04 M3.
Now you're talkin'. Buy the C6 forget the M3.

Sly
Old 11-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Alx1rl
Racer

Im sure its quicker than the M3, but certainly not the 55 AMG's. Maybe the Z06 will be a different story.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Steve R
Instructor

The C-6 is considerably faster. The M-3 was my 2nd road kill, the C-6 pulled him so bad , I thought man thats gota hurt.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I had an 03 AMG CL55 for about 9 months, fast! Especially from 50MPH on up the "ludicrous speed" zone. But for that money I wasn't content with the suspension, tranny or the somewhat blend-in looks.

As soon as the C6 became available I got it, a week later I put in headers and air box and it is probably quicker and I'm much happier with it.

Drive one and you'll see....
Old 11-12-2004, 08:00 PM
mhzvr6
Cruising

Word up brother.. I have a 2001 Gti Vr6 that's super charged. With 262HP I've had the Gti up at 145mph at sustained speed.

Just can wait to get my C6 this spring:-)

Get notified of new replies

To How fast is C6?

Old 11-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

What does it mean that the Viper is a different kind of animal?
My feeling is that the Viper isn't a car you can use for every day driving or is that comfortable for long road trips. It really is a car for the track that you can drive on the street. I haven't owned one, so someone who has can probably give you a better idea.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:03 AM
catpat8000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to know how hard a car will "pull" when
you floor it, compare 1/4 mile trap speeds. The et is
far too dependent on the launch to be used as a good
indicator of the rate of acceleration. As an example,
compare two C6 corvettes racing a 1/4 mile. The first
car drops his clutch at 6000rpm and his tires go up
in smoke. The second car launches hard but with little
tire spin. Both cars will likely be very close in trap
speed but the guy who sat and spun is going to have
a terrible et. Trap speeds are what you want to look at.

Based on that argument, if you want to be rocked
back in your seat, I'd probably go for the E55 AMG.

It'll take a C6 (slightly) and it's got ungodly power
right off 2000rpm. I've seen an E55 at the dragstrip
take a stock 2003 Z06.

Pat
Old 11-13-2004, 12:12 AM
fister
Intermediate

Right, but would the e55 be able to keep up with the c6 in the corners on a track. I mean overall racing around a track say nurburgring in germany, wouldn't the c6 be faster around than the e55?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How fast is C6?