C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav and tinting...also unrelated onstar question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nav and tinting...also unrelated onstar question

I read the FAQs and never found a definite answer:

Does the NAV still work with metallic tinting because the tint i was planning on using is highly metallic and blocks out like 62% of the sunlight. It is the 18% Stealth Tint by 3M in case anyone is familiar. It has a nice black metallic look i have it on my WRX and love it. It is dark enough so that at night no one can see in but yet it is not hard to see out of like my friends 15% plain black on his BMW. I think its called stealth tint cause you cant really tell that it is on there from the inside in sunlight. Anyway i like it a lot. If someone would like to see a picture of it on my wrx i can have someone post it in case you are interested in how it looks.

Also on a completely not related note.

Does anyone know if the Onstar going into our vettes is the new dual-mode digital/analog or is the previous version. I am wondering so that i know if it is capable of being combined with my verizon cell phone minutes. (A new feature/merger in case you havent heard). The personal calling feature for onstar can be combined to your verizon cell phone bill for $10 a month in order to be able to use your cell phone minutes (in my case unlimited on weekends) on your car's onstar.

To test if it is the new "dual-mode" (digital/analog) press the white-dot/phone button. It should say "Onstar Ready" Then you would say "Dial." If onstar says "Number Please" we have the old version. If it says "Phone Number to dial please" we have the good upgraded digital version. sorry if thats confusing.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:12 PM
greengo
Drifting

Default Tinting

When my car comes in I am going to get the back glass tinted only. My c5 was dark but made it almost dangerous at nite to see out of. I am looking for something that is really dark from the outside but easy to see out of at nite........does this 3m stealth tint fit the bill. I want the back glass to match the glass roof panel or as close as possible? Ideas / suggestions anyone?
Old 11-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Yogivette
I read the FAQs and never found a definite answer:

Does the NAV still work with metallic tinting because the tint i was planning on using is highly metallic and blocks out like 62% of the sunlight. It is the 18% Stealth Tint by 3M in case anyone is familiar. It has a nice black metallic look i have it on my WRX and love it. It is dark enough so that at night no one can see in but yet it is not hard to see out of like my friends 15% plain black on his BMW. I think its called stealth tint cause you cant really tell that it is on there from the inside in sunlight. Anyway i like it a lot. If someone would like to see a picture of it on my wrx i can have someone post it in case you are interested in how it looks.

Also on a completely not related note.

Does anyone know if the Onstar going into our vettes is the new dual-mode digital/analog or is the previous version. I am wondering so that i know if it is capable of being combined with my verizon cell phone minutes. (A new feature/merger in case you havent heard). The personal calling feature for onstar can be combined to your verizon cell phone bill for $10 a month in order to be able to use your cell phone minutes (in my case unlimited on weekends) on your car's onstar.

To test if it is the new "dual-mode" (digital/analog) press the white-dot/phone button. It should say "Onstar Ready" Then you would say "Dial." If onstar says "Number Please" we have the old version. If it says "Phone Number to dial please" we have the good upgraded digital version. sorry if thats confusing.
(Old) Analog. We've been told in 2 other threads.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
(Old) Analog. We've been told in 2 other threads.
That stinks it means i cant run it like i want to without an upgrade...since they started doing the upgrade with some 2004 models you would think we would have gotten it.

FTR i hate not being able to tell peoples tone when writing on the internet...gets me into trouble on AOL all the time.

Last edited by Yogivette; 11-20-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Good thing i didnt start a new thread based solely on that question then and combined it with another question since i would have asked it anyway.
BTW, that wasn't a dig on my part for your asking...I just meant that's what i've read...I haven't asked the GM or OnStar people myself.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
BTW, that wasn't a dig on my part for your asking...I just meant that's what i've read...I haven't asked the GM or OnStar people myself.
If no one is sure we need someone to go get into their C6 and test it.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:27 PM
VA-Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked mine up about 5 hours ago and I can state for a fact that GM is still installing analog OnStar systems in new C6 Corvettes. Don't ask me why when they could use a dual unit. The analog will not be supported after 1 Jan 2008 so before the warranty runs out they will have to replace them which is . The only reason I would advise getting it, is to have the wiring in place for the upgrade. Until its upgraded, I won't give them a dime for any service other than what comes free when you buy it.

Other than this one issue I LOVE THE CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 05:38 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If no one is sure we need someone to go get into their C6 and test it.
It is the analog version. The instruction manual says we have to upgrade in 2008 when cellular systems stop supporting analog phones.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Dsob15
Burning Brakes

Got mine tinted with metallic and everything works great.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dsob15
Are you the one that in the FAQ put up a picture of your nav display and it had a box on the display with GPS and a red line through it meaning the gps wasnt working.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=932768

Last edited by Yogivette; 11-20-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Dsob15
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Yogivette]
QUOTE]

Are you the one that in the FAQ put up a picture of your nav display and it had a box on the display with GPS and a red line through it meaning the gps wasnt working.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=932768
You are correct. The nav pic was taken before I got my windows tinted, and it was in the garage. That's why the GPS was crossed out.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

You are correct. The nav pic was taken before I got my windows tinted, and it was in the garage. That's why the GPS was crossed out.
Awesome thanks
Old 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Dsob15
Burning Brakes

Awesome thanks
No problem. The GPS and XM never work in the garage, or heavily cemented buildings. Kind of annoying...I see you have a Machine Silver coming with GPS. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:13 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem. The GPS and XM never work in the garage, or heavily cemented buildings. Kind of annoying...I see you have a Machine Silver coming with GPS. Good luck.
I wouldn't be too sure. My Jag has GPS with the antenna buried in the glass, and they state unequivocally to not use metallic window tinting.

Be careful to get the definitive answer from someone at GM before committing big bucks. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 11-20-2004, 08:00 PM
VA-Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by VA-Vette
I just picked mine up about 5 hours ago and I can state for a fact that GM is still installing analog OnStar systems in new C6 Corvettes. Don't ask me why when they could use a dual unit. The analog will not be supported after 1 Jan 2008 so before the warranty runs out they will have to replace them which is . The only reason I would advise getting it, is to have the wiring in place for the upgrade. Until its upgraded, I won't give them a dime for any service other than what comes free when you buy it.

Other than this one issue I LOVE THE CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WAIT, I may be the one that is full of . I was told by the dealer it was analog and was not real happy but I didn't try it out since we had a 3-1/2 hour drive back home and it was getting ready to rain. After reading Yogivette's post. I just went out tried it and it said "OnStar Ready". Its raining hard now but I will check it with the OnStar people tomorrow and post the results.

Revised comments: I have more data than when I posted this a little while ago... While going through my goodies (manual, how to CDs, Nav system book etc.) I found this window sticker the dealer took off and gave to me with all the other stuff.

Duh! I'm bad! Looks like this unit is Analog/Digital-Ready. However, I'm still not sure if it will work with Verizon's "America's Choice Plan with OnStar" that gives you hands-free, voice-activated OnStar phone and your Verizon Wireless phone sharing one package of minutes and bill from Verizon Wireless. I will investigate and post the results.

Last edited by VA-Vette; 11-20-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:42 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as the OnStar is concerned. It is Digital ready (there is a window sticker to that effect), It can be upgraded for free (when available) if you buy 2 years service. Or for a small fee if you don't want the service(which makes no sense).
Old 11-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Originally Posted by VA-Vette
WAIT, I may be the one that is full of . I was told by the dealer it was analog and was not real happy but I didn't try it out since we had a 3-1/2 hour drive back home and it was getting ready to rain. After reading Yogivette's post. I just went out tried it and it said "OnStar Ready". Its raining hard now but I will check it with the OnStar people tomorrow and post the results. Sorry I might have been in error :o .
I guess i was a lil confusing in explaining:

It will say "onstar ready" no matter what if it is analog/digital ready or dualmode digital... the old analog (not digital compliant at all only say "ready")...it is what it says after you say dial that makes a difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Nav and tinting...also unrelated onstar question

Old 11-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

I guess i was a lil confusing in explaining:

It will say "onstar ready" no matter what if it is analog/digital ready or dualmode digital... the old analog (not digital compliant at all only say "ready")...it is what it says after you say dial that makes a difference.

Im not positive but the impression i got is that you cant do the verizon thing unless it is a digital system...To check for sure if you call onstar and give them your activation number or something like that they can tell you for sure.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:47 AM
SA734
Pro

The shop that did mine used the newest technology tint that reflects as much heat and UV rays as the metallic but it is a composite. It is what they recommended because of the Nav in the car. They do quite a bit of Vettes and high-end cars and I have been using them for about 6 years. The last car I had tinted was a Jag and I had to use the non-metallic as the high-end composite stuff was not on the market 2 years ago. The owners manual states not to use tint on the windows because it will cause interference. If it is not metallic there is no reason why it would cause interference. Just my opinion based on my personal experience.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Originally Posted by SA734
The shop that did mine used the newest technology tint that reflects as much heat and UV rays as the metallic but it is a composite. It is what they recommended because of the Nav in the car. They do quite a bit of Vettes and high-end cars and I have been using them for about 6 years. The last car I had tinted was a Jag and I had to use the non-metallic as the high-end composite stuff was not on the market 2 years ago. The owners manual states not to use tint on the windows because it will cause interference. If it is not metallic there is no reason why it would cause interference. Just my opinion based on my personal experience.
Is there any way you could find out the Brand and Name of this composite tint...inquiring minds want to know.

Quick Reply: Nav and tinting...also unrelated onstar question