C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 CD changer AUX input Silver Console Removal Pictures XM Radio Arm Rest

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 07:32 PM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 6 CD changer AUX input Silver Console Removal Pictures XM Radio Arm Rest

I swear I wasn’t going to mod anything on my daily driver C6. I purchased an XM Roadie 2 with antenna and built in FM modulator ($120). http://www.xmradio.com/roady2/

I have done some experiments in the past and I believed I could live with the XM antenna located in my arm rest console. The corvette having a plastic roof makes this possible. Also in Texas we have good XM signal. After receiving the XM Roadie I tested driving around town in various cloud conditions with the XM antenna just sitting in my arm rest.

I couldn’t help but see that CD/AUX button on the front of the 6 CD changer on the GM data bus radio head. I was sure hoping to be able to connect the Roadie audio out to RCA connectors on the back of the radio head.

You can see a picture of the arm rest console that houses the XM Roadie, the antenna, the cigarette lighter splitter, and my cell phone all in a nice and neat package ready to be concealed to prevent broken side window glass.

I looked up how to remove the silver console so that I could pull the 6 CD radio head. Thanks to SDOWNEY member for posting how to remove the silver console. It is a real jig saw puzzle. I will take the liberty to slightly modify the removal of the silver console for automatics:

1) Open the armrest cover and remove the 4 screws that mount the cover to the hinges.
2) Pry up the mag ride selector or air bag off light cover....depends on your equipment which panel you have. it just prys off it is held on with 2 clips.
3) Remove 2 screws that are under the cover
4) Pull up leather cover on parking brake and remove the 2 screws located on the side of the passenger side of the console.
5) For an automatic you don’t need to remove the shift ****. Pull the shifter towards drive to help pull the console out.
6) Now pull from where the 2 screws went under mag ride/ air bag the cover. pull up and away from the dash. It should come free pretty easy. Do not go crazy here you have several wires connected depending on you equipment. I had a traction control switch, 2 cig lighters, hazard lights and 2 seat heaters to undo. I unplugged my mag ride/ air bag cover.
7) Undoing the connector especially the arm rest cigarette lighter and the traction control are not fun. The mag ride connect required the lifting of a small plastic locking tab. The cigarette lighter connector and all other connectors have a squeeze to release. Still not fun.

Putting it back together!

You may place the front of the silver console close to the AC vents. But you can get frustrated with trying to get the lower half to lay flat. On the passenger side you will see that the silver console needs to fit into a grove in order to go down except there is another section of plastic creating interference. You need to compromise between both with a little wrestling in order for things to fit together. Again not fun.

After I pulled the silver console off I pulled the 6 CD changer radio head. You will first need to pull the AC control unit as the radio head fits slightly underneath the AC control unit.

What??? I should have had the experience to know... NO RCA connectors! I show pictures of the GM data bus connectors on the back of the radio head. One I believe is a 24 pin, the other is a 12 pin only using about 5 or 6 wires. I am not sure and could not figure out how to remove the antenna wire?

I looked up GM RDS radios to RCA Aux adapters and found these:

http://www.installer.com/aux/

Peripheral 24 pin unit for RDS radios PER-PXGM24

Peripheral 12 pin unit for RDS radios PER-PXGM12

I believe that there are at least 3 types of RDS radios for GM. There seem to be many types of connector break out adapters but none are listed for the C6. There are 9 pin, 12 pin and 24 pin just to name a few.

I then drove to two very adept car stereo installation centers. I brought pictures with me of the radio head and although they use Aux adapters frequently neither of them could help me with an adapter for my 6 CD changer Aux connection.

I am hoping that these pictures help those that are more experts on GM radios to site a part number that will provide a breakout for the Aux. I also wonder how that antenna wire disconnects?

So.. for now I put everything back together and you can see the install of the XM Roadie 2 located within my arm rest console. I used a Radio Shack cigarette lighter socket splitter. As you can see even the antenna is located within the arm rest. This set up is easy.. low cost and completely hidden away. The FM modulator works well but of course I would prefer the Aux input.

Please let me know if anyone has actually provided RCA inputs to the 6 CD changer radio head at the rear of the radio with an adapter for the C6.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:05 PM
nascosta
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up and attempt. I too want to hook into the AUX inputs for aftermarket XM unit.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:25 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Rich
Great job, it took guts to rip into your C6 like that. I will be following you progress as this mod is high on my list once I get my car, soon I hope.

Am I correct, You have 1SB audio without nav and XM but with 6CD changer? Thanks Please keep us posted......
Old 12-04-2004, 11:21 PM
wlee013
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job. Once the service manuals come out maybe we will be able to determine what is what.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:48 AM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FastMover
Rich
Great job, it took guts to rip into your C6 like that. I will be following you progress as this mod is high on my list once I get my car, soon I hope.

Am I correct, You have 1SB audio without nav and XM but with 6CD changer? Thanks Please keep us posted......
Yes 1SB with 6 CD changer without Nav. I will be sending some pictures to the convertor people.

You would think that Aux on the radio would have a section in the manual. A lot of people would like to use it!
Old 12-05-2004, 04:49 AM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wlee013
Great job. Once the service manuals come out maybe we will be able to determine what is what.
Um yeah.. once they come out! You have a good point.

Again in today's world you would think that Aux would be very discriptive in the manual....
Old 12-05-2004, 08:01 AM
65LS6C4
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich,

If you can provide the pinout color combination for each of the wires on the 12 and 24 pin connectors, I can cross reference them against the C5 manuals to determine where to tap in -- chances are they will be very close if not consistent.

Dirk
Old 12-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Frans
Advanced

Does the NAV system have the same input as the 6cd changer unit?

And which input was available to you? The 12 pins or the 24 pins? I mean, the XM radio GM supplies must hook up with either the 12 pins or 24 pins, musn't it?

Additionally, check:
http://peripheralelectronics.com/200...nnovations.asp
http://aampofamerica.com/images_pres...z/pxgm24v2.jpg
http://aampofamerica.com/images_press/hi-rez/pxgm24.jpg

I hope it helps a bit.

Last edited by Frans; 12-05-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:08 PM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65LS6C4
Rich,

If you can provide the pinout color combination for each of the wires on the 12 and 24 pin connectors, I can cross reference them against the C5 manuals to determine where to tap in -- chances are they will be very close if not consistent.

Dirk
Sorry Dirk it's already back together. I am using the XM in the arm rest system (pictured) that is working well for me. At least we know what the two connectors look like for the 6 CD changer.

As soon as I know how to hook up the Aux I will do so..
Old 12-05-2004, 04:13 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 594 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

i think in time we will have all the info we need
Old 12-05-2004, 04:14 PM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frans
Does the NAV system have the same input as the 6cd changer unit?
Not sure don't have the NAV system I have the 6 CD changer

Originally Posted by Frans
And which input was available to you? The 12 pins or the 24 pins? I mean, the XM radio GM supplies must hook up with either the 12 pins or 24 pins, musn't it?
No sure.. you can see what the 12 pin and the 24 pin look like. From the size of the wires I might have assumed that the 12 pin might have been power, back light and such but not sure.

I agree.. this looks like the deal:
http://aampofamerica.com/images_pres...z/pxgm24v2.jpg

I don't need two Aux inputs but what the heck..

I need to send pictures and an email to them.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:41 PM
sheck11
Instructor

Great Post. Im taking delivery later this month and already have the Roady 2 in another vehicle. Im glad you answered the question of how well will it work in the C6.
As far as the pin/wire applications get to your nearest/friendly GM dealer and have the print you out the harness schematic from SI 2000.
No need to wait on the paper version. If you hit a dead end let me know and I will access for you. Ill be out of town 1st part of week but can ck when I get back.

Get notified of new replies

To 6 CD changer AUX input Silver Console Removal Pictures XM Radio Arm Rest

Quick Reply: 6 CD changer AUX input Silver Console Removal Pictures XM Radio Arm Rest