C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run out of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Anyone run out of gas?

I haven't, but I went down until the fuel gauge read 1/32 of a tank. The thing is, I got no warnings or anything. On my C5, when you got down there, you would get a Reserve Fuel, then a Low Fuel message, but I got nothing on this.

When I filled it up, it only took just under 16 gallons, but it is supposed to be an 18 gallon tank.

How does eveyone elses work? Has anyone seen any messages?

Between the smaller fuel tank, fuel gauge that seems to read empty with 2 gallons left, and the lower gas mileage I'm getting (don't know why, it may be just too much fun to stomp on the gas), I feel like I'm always having to stop for gas.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Owner's manual doesn't say how low the fuel level is when you get a warning, but a chime will ring and LOW FUEL will appear on the DIC. If you push the reset button to clear the message, it will come on again in 10 minutes if you have not added fuel. (Pg. 3-46)
Old 01-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Asterism
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

the C6 doesnt have a "reserve fuel" warning like the C5 does.
i didnt run outside to verify mine, but i dont think the gas gauge
has the little red warning tab on it that the C5 does either.
many have suggested not trying to top off the tank either,
when it shuts off its really full. when i overfilled my C5 i could
get just under 600 miles of highway driving.
my C6 reported 24 mpg after driving from BG to Boston last
week so i was pretty pleased with that since I was stuck
in plenty of stop-n-go traffic too.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:43 AM
Yogivette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i have come REAL close to running out. It showed a Low fuel on the DIC and the range went to "too low to calculate" or something like that. In my 86 the range would just keep on going forever but this one cuts off i guess to eliminate false messages. Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:57 AM
Lerxst2112
Racer

Originally Posted by Asterism
the C6 doesnt have a "reserve fuel" warning like the C5 does.
i didnt run outside to verify mine, but i dont think the gas gauge
has the little red warning tab on it that the C5 does either.
many have suggested not trying to top off the tank either,
when it shuts off its really full. when i overfilled my C5 i could
get just under 600 miles of highway driving.
my C6 reported 24 mpg after driving from BG to Boston last
week so i was pretty pleased with that since I was stuck
in plenty of stop-n-go traffic too.
Almost 600? Are you sure? Whenever I try to 'overfill' my tank I end up spilling gas all over the side, cussing like mad, and wiping it off with a paper towel. The most I can get in the tank causes the range to read 410.

This is relevant as I sometimes have the C5 gas tank bug, and have to use my trip odometer as a backup. 350 and I hit the gas station regardless of what the gauge says... (which is occasionally close to FULL) Amazing how a full tank can take on 15 gallons....

But it's not a defect according to the factory. It's an ANOMALY.

@$!#$#%$%
Old 01-04-2005, 03:29 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
I haven't, but I went down until the fuel gauge read 1/32 of a tank. The thing is, I got no warnings or anything. On my C5, when you got down there, you would get a Reserve Fuel, then a Low Fuel message, but I got nothing on this.

When I filled it up, it only took just under 16 gallons, but it is supposed to be an 18 gallon tank.

Between the smaller fuel tank, fuel gauge that seems to read empty with 2 gallons left, and the lower gas mileage I'm getting (don't know why, it may be just too much fun to stomp on the gas), I feel like I'm always having to stop for gas.
The closest I've come, the tank accepted 17.5 gallons to fill it up. The low fuel warning had been on for several miles. Total miles on that tank was 462, giving an average MPG of 26.4. That's not the best MPG I've gotten, but I was moving down the interstate rather briskly.

Things I've noticed about my car, when the gauge says Empty, you are EMPTY. When you go to fill up, when the pump shuts off, you are FULL. This so different from other cars I have that it has taken a while to get used to the idea that the gauge means what it says, and that it isn't a good idea to try to top off when filling up the car.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:03 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

I accidentally let my fuel get low, and got a low fuel warning on my DIC, and an audible warning as well.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Haven't run down low enough to see but I do know when the gas kicks off it's full I tried to put in additional gas and it spilled
Old 01-04-2005, 09:14 AM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzlove
I accidentally let my fuel get low, and got a low fuel warning on my DIC, and an audible warning as well.
Same here. I've done it twice with the same response.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 AM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boozman
Haven't run down low enough to see but I do know when the gas kicks off it's full I tried to put in additional gas and it spilled
Same thing happened to me the first time filling it. When that gas pump shuts off, you are done.

As for running low, I haven't gone down to vapors yet - so no comment on the gauge's accuracy. Per some other postings, the main thing to keep an eye on the is the trip odometer reading after filling. Regardless of WHAT the fuel level gauge reads, you should also note the miles run from the last fillup. If the gauge should fail, you can always check your fuel status this way.
NO REASON ANYONE SHOULD RUN OUT OF GAS!!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:41 AM
mike1952
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'11-'12-'13

Old 01-04-2005, 11:32 AM
KISSfn
Pro

When my fuel range falls below 40 miles left, I get a low range message. I don't let it get lower than that before I fill it up.

Last edited by KISSfn; 01-05-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:52 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Meee TOOO

Had that happen this weekend. Took 17 gal.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:55 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

do not run out of gas as the gasoline cools the fuel pump and even if the pump is in a sump to keep the gasoline around the pump going up or down hill or fast corners the fuel can run away from the pump and cause it to over heat and if the pump burns up is in not cheap to replace
Old 01-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Asterism
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lerxst2112
Almost 600? Are you sure? Whenever I try to 'overfill' my tank I end up spilling gas all over the side, cussing like mad, and wiping it off with a paper towel. The most I can get in the tank causes the range to read 410.

This is relevant as I sometimes have the C5 gas tank bug, and have to use my trip odometer as a backup. 350 and I hit the gas station regardless of what the gauge says... (which is occasionally close to FULL) Amazing how a full tank can take on 15 gallons....

But it's not a defect according to the factory. It's an ANOMALY.

@$!#$#%$%
568 miles actually, Londonderry NH to Montreal and back, 1 tank
overfilled until you can hear the gas gurgling in the fill pipe, one squirt
at a time. I have the same erratic gage on my C5 too, the service
bulletin says to replace a few rather expensive parts so I havent
bothered.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:02 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

...and in no time after a fill-up the gas needle falls below full. My '95 Aurora lets me get in 90 miles before falling below full, but it really falls fast to E from 1/3 of a tank. I guess a "true" reading is another one of the many improvements Dave Hill designed into the C6. No complaints from me.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

So it looks like the message/warning happens at about 17 gallons used. Was the fuel gauge flat-lined at that point (or below)?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone run out of gas?

Old 01-04-2005, 08:33 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I always leave my DIC set to range. When it goes to Low fuel I then notice the gauge is in the red zone.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:50 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

i ahve has thd dic come on befor in the c5 with a low fuel warning!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:33 PM
c6 corvette Z51
Racer

almost ran out (the first week i had my c6 i would have to get a full tank every two days/ fun to go fast)

Quick Reply: Anyone run out of gas?