Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Corvette C7 Mid-Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Floridasky
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 287 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Corvette C7 Mid-Engine?

Corvette C7 Mid-Engine?

Am I out of the loop on this one, has anyone heard that the C7 would be a mid-engine. Received my August 2007 issue of Automobile magazine today and when talking about the Corvette SS the following quote appeared in the article:

“Plan on spending $100,00 for the last hurrah before the C7 Corvette arrives in a mid-engine configuration”. Page 64.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default I hope not.

Writers and Editors need controversy to sell magazines. In the absence of facts, they substitute opinions (spelled G-U-E-S-S-W-O-R-K).
Old 07-08-2007, 08:14 PM
zich6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Mid engine designs aren't friendly to less than advanced drivers. Just ask the Europeans.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by zich6
Mid engine designs aren't friendly to less than advanced drivers. Just ask the Europeans.
Don't know how you can say that with a straight face...

Mid-engine designs are more perfectly balanced than 99% of the front-engined designs. The driver can be pushed forward more in the chassis to see better, etc. The McLaran F1 is a prime example of one of the best handling cars in the world (with an exotic price to go with it too)...with a perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

Ferrari, Lambo, Saleen, etc. must have it all wrong to put this design in the hands of the general public, right?

Why do you think they build the prototypes race cars as a mid-engine? Or Formula1 & Indy race cars?

I can agree with your statement when it comes to rear-engined designs like the Porsche...having all that weight behind the rear axle can give you some real surprises...thankfully for me they were all track experiences that I drove away from with no damage.

But a mid-engined design is far more stable & predictable at the limits of adhesion.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I really don't think it's going to happen yet. Maybe someday, but not in the immediate future.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:54 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Do a search for my post and decide for yourself if the C7 will be rear mid-enginged. My informant says that is the direction GM would like to take.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 PM
DvBoard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt it. With as much complaining as i heard when the lost the pop-up headlights, moving the engine would be disasterious.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

With all the handling issues with the current z06 and the disastrous handling with even more power in the blue devil I think mid engine will be coming for sure. If not cost got in the way.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pryderei
With all the handling issues with the current z06
?????
I hope the Blue Devil has all the handling issues the current Z has and then some. Since there's nothing that out handles it now for less than quadruple the price.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Do a search for my post and decide for yourself if the C7 will be rear mid-enginged. My informant says that is the direction GM would like to take.
A mid-engine C7 is a distinct possibility as a mainstream model, or a special variant. Deal with it and move on. Time will tell.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pryderei
If not cost got in the way.
thats why it will not be a mid engine design..
Old 07-11-2007, 09:34 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DvBoard
I doubt it. With as much complaining as i heard when the lost the pop-up headlights, moving the engine would be disastrous.
And yet they sell every car they make...

Must not have been TOO disastrous...build a car that can spank everything else on the road, and as long as the styling still says Corvette people will buy it...even the whiners who say it isn't "traditional".

GM has built many Corvette mid-engine designs as test vehicles over the years...

C.E.R.V. I

and C.E.R.V. II

Astro 1 Vette

Astro 2

Aerovette

Corvette Indy (CERV III)

So you can see that GM has been researching the mid-engine concepts since Zora was in charge. The CERV 1 was built in 1957!!!

I think that GM will add another model to the lineup...the C7 won't be mid-engine. They will make another model of the Corvette that will be mid-engined and cost $150k + to spank the world with.

They can't get the costs for a mid-engined design down to the grass-roots level where they have enjoyed their market share. The CERV III was a beautiful design, but they can't make it for $70k.

Of course, you still have to take it to the Chevy dealership to get it fixed
Old 07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should keep the base C7 car with forward engine ... but, the top end vettes ( Z's and Devils) are long overdue to be mid-engine.

Until Chevy does a mid-engine on their top models ... they really won't be perceived as Supercars by the world at large. Supercars need to look exotic ... and mid-engine is the easiest way to achieve the distinctive worldclass look.

Also, the C7R car needs to assume the mid-engine platform ... to allow it to continue to dominate G1.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:57 AM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bernrex
...the top end vettes ( Z's and Devils) are long overdue to be mid-engine.
I think it is interesting that when I posted that very opinion a year or two ago here, it was shot down roundly, including by one very outspoken mod, who reamed me out for even suggesting it might EVER occur, i.e. all Corvettes shall forever be front engine, rear wheel, 2WD only...

Glad to see the GM engineers are apparently a little more flexible than some demagogues.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe90
Don't know how you can say that with a straight face...

Mid-engine designs are more perfectly balanced than 99% of the front-engined designs. The driver can be pushed forward more in the chassis to see better, etc. The McLaran F1 is a prime example of one of the best handling cars in the world (with an exotic price to go with it too)...with a perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

Ferrari, Lambo, Saleen, etc. must have it all wrong to put this design in the hands of the general public, right?

Why do you think they build the prototypes race cars as a mid-engine? Or Formula1 & Indy race cars?

I can agree with your statement when it comes to rear-engined designs like the Porsche...having all that weight behind the rear axle can give you some real surprises...thankfully for me they were all track experiences that I drove away from with no damage.

But a mid-engined design is far more stable & predictable at the limits of adhesion.

I would disagree to this extent: Street-driven cars are always safer with some understeer at the limit, as most of us don't catch oversteer that well. As the Corvette is front mid-engined now (the engine is wholly behind the front axle) and has a nearly 50-50 F/R distribution, it may understeer a touch at the limit (although this can be fixed with tires and alignment), it rotates pretty well, and it is pretty safe. Early C6Z06 tales of snap oversteer are history with some shock revalving, I understand.

Rear mid-engined cars are the best handlers because they are usually neutral, or maybe even oversteer a touch, at the limit, by design, and can be rotated quickly. This is all well and good, if you are a good driver. Most rear ME cars actually have some rear weight bias--not 50-50--and indeed, if you are a good driver, some rear bias may help you rotate quickly, albeit with some more risk for the unattentive or unskilled.

Now we all know rear-engined cars, in contrast, by the laws of physics lean toward oversteer all the time and must be reigned in with staggered tire sizes, trick alignments, etc., but if engineered well, can be very quick (i.e. Porsche 911s).

Of course, modern computer aids help all of us keep it off the wall, but they also dim the advantages given to good drivers who like a car that rotates quickly.

Except for bragging rights about how cool your rear mid-engined car is, there is something to gain and something to lose with a mid-engined design for the street as far as handling is concerned. Also, rear ME cars often are much harder to service as the engine and related hardware can be tucked away in a tough spot, like in a Cayman, for example.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 07-11-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:23 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
I would disagree to this extent: Street-driven cars are always safer with some understeer at the limit, as most of us don't catch oversteer that well. As the Corvette is front mid-engined now (the engine is wholly behind the front axle) and has a nearly 50-50 F/R distribution, it may understeer a touch at the limit (although this can be fixed with tires and alignment), it rotates pretty well, and it is pretty safe. Early C6Z06 tales of snap oversteer are history with some shock revalving, I understand.

Rear mid-engined cars are the best handlers because they are usually neutral, or maybe even oversteer a touch, at the limit, by design, and can be rotated quickly. This is all well and good, if you are a good driver. Most rear ME cars actually have some rear weight bias--not 50-50--and indeed, if you are a good driver, some rear bias may help you rotate quickly, albeit with some more risk for the unattentive or unskilled.

Now we all know rear-engined cars, in contrast, by the laws of physics lean toward oversteer all the time and must be reigned in with staggered tire sizes, trick alignments, etc., but if engineered well, can be very quick (i.e. Porsche 911s).

Of course, modern computer aids help all of us keep it off the wall, but they also dim the advantages given to good drivers who like a car that rotates quickly.

Except for bragging rights about how cool your rear mid-engined car is, there is something to gain and something to lose with a mid-engined design for the street as far as handling is concerned. Also, rear ME cars often are much harder to service as the engine and related hardware can be tucked away in a tough spot, like in a Cayman, for example.
Good assessment.
I also agree about the service. I wouldn't look forward to $300 oil changes like P cars.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by robvuk
Good assessment.
I also agree about the service. I wouldn't look forward to $300 oil changes like P cars.
With proper design by the engineers, it can be easy to service.

Ever see a MINI serviced? They remove the entire front clip in about 10 minutes...the entire engine is exposed to work on without worrying about scratching the fenders.

Just make the design engineers actually work on the protoypes they design, and they'll find a way to make it easier ...

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C7 Mid-Engine?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:09 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrackNoob
including by one very outspoken mod, who reamed me out for even suggesting it might EVER occur, i.e. all Corvettes shall forever be front engine, rear wheel, 2WD only...

They be 'old school' guys ... with passage of more time, GM won't have to please them so much with next generation vettes.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Floridasky
Corvette C7 Mid-Engine?

Am I out of the loop on this one, has anyone heard that the C7 would be a mid-engine. Received my August 2007 issue of Automobile magazine today and when talking about the Corvette SS the following quote appeared in the article:

“Plan on spending $100,00 for the last hurrah before the C7 Corvette arrives in a mid-engine configuration”. Page 64.

I read the same article. It would be nice, I had a mid-engine car the handling is superb. We'll see.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:50 PM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe90
And yet they sell every car they make...

Must not have been TOO disastrous...build a car that can spank everything else on the road, and as long as the styling still says Corvette people will buy it...even the whiners who say it isn't "traditional".

GM has built many Corvette mid-engine designs as test vehicles over the years...

C.E.R.V. I

and C.E.R.V. II

Astro 1 Vette

Astro 2

Aerovette

Corvette Indy (CERV III)

So you can see that GM has been researching the mid-engine concepts since Zora was in charge. The CERV 1 was built in 1957!!!

I think that GM will add another model to the lineup...the C7 won't be mid-engine. They will make another model of the Corvette that will be mid-engined and cost $150k + to spank the world with.

They can't get the costs for a mid-engined design down to the grass-roots level where they have enjoyed their market share. The CERV III was a beautiful design, but they can't make it for $70k.

Of course, you still have to take it to the Chevy dealership to get it fixed
That CERV III looks alot like the Jaguar XK220, doesnt it? Too bad that one was a flop. Interesting.....

http://u-poster.com/posters/cars/Jag...8_Picture.html

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Corvette C7 Mid-Engine?