Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] $150,000 for a ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 AM
vincy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $150,000 for a ZR1

My dealer called and said I could order the ZR1 I had a deposit on. I thought my contract was for MSRP. But he told me it is for "market value". He said the car was about 100K, so I could have it for 150K. I was shocked by the mark up. He said I was welcome to call around but it would probably cost more elsewhere. I'll call back and say to forget it.

Last edited by vincy; 06-10-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:04 AM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by vincy
My dealer called and said I could order the ZR1 I had a deposit on. I thought my contract was for MSRP. But he told me it is for "market value". He said the car was about 100K, so I could have it for 150K. I was shocked by the mark up. He said I was welcome to call around but it would probably cost more elsewhere. I'll probably call back and say to forget it.

What would make you think a stealership would sell you a ZR1 at MSRP, when they can sell it for 50% more than its purchase price?

Did you think you were the only man in America that was going to get a MSRP ZR1 in 2009?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM
m3brad
Racer

I think it's important for all of us to know the name and location of the dealer. Hopefully, no one else will do business with them, now or in the future!

It sounds like you had a verbal contract, which is good enough for me! If you had a written contract, it's time to call you know who !
Old 06-10-2008, 09:14 AM
FIVEPOINTSEVEN
Racer

The only way we might see ZR1's at msrp is if people don't buy them at the inflated prices. Good move on saying to forget it.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:49 AM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL!

It's a Chevrolet and gas is over $4.00/gal.

LOL - I give this level of stupidity of lifespan of 2-3 months after the cars are physically available. (Once the cars have arrived at dealers)
Old 06-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Slowgoin
Burning Brakes

Thats a shame. I guess all have to deal with supply and demand but a 33% is a bit high The price will come down I suspect in a year or so (maybe).

My thoughts on this whole issue is this: If you have had a corvette for years, I mean a true corvette enthusiast that has owned one for years. Perhaps GM should have a registry on all corvette owners and an owner of a corvette say for the past twenty years should get a better deal. Ferrari works like that doesn't it? Or does it just get you off the waiting list? I hope all that can afford the ZR-1 have the opportunity to buy one.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Blk03Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Slowgoin
Thats a shame. I guess all have to deal with supply and demand but a 33% is a bit high The price will come down I suspect in a year or so (maybe).

My thoughts on this whole issue is this: If you have had a corvette for years, I mean a true corvette enthusiast that has owned one for years. Perhaps GM should have a registry on all corvette owners and an owner of a corvette say for the past twenty years should get a better deal. Ferrari works like that doesn't it? Or does it just get you off the waiting list? I hope all that can afford the ZR-1 have the opportunity to buy one.
There are several examples where Ferrari dealers rejected orders for the 430 Scuderia from long time owners where the owner did not trade their current models back into the dealer for resale. While I do not like getting gouged, I do not think any distributor of any product should be held accountable by their customers. Dealerships should be allowed to charge what they want and customers should be able to buy from whomever they want.

I would hate to be a dealer today whose primary profit source were SUV's and trucks. Remember, dealers have no control over what they sell. The manufacturer determines product mix, quality and suggested price.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:30 AM
vincy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by m3brad
I think it's important for all of us to know the name and location of the dealer. Hopefully, no one else will do business with them, now or in the future!

It sounds like you had a verbal contract, which is good enough for me! If you had a written contract, it's time to call you know who !
I don't want to mention the dealer. Its a free market system and he can try to sell high if he wants to.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:31 AM
vincy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SocalChvy
What would make you think a stealership would sell you a ZR1 at MSRP, when they can sell it for 50% more than its purchase price?

Did you think you were the only man in America that was going to get a MSRP ZR1 in 2009?

I guess I misunderstood. I can understand a 10K markup, but 50K is too much.

Last edited by vincy; 06-10-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It will remain to be seen if the ZR1 can sell for 50% more than MSRP. Right now there is a lot of hype about a car that isn't even available yet. I'm betting that more ZR1's will sell for MSRP than the dealers want to admit. Yes, the first few cars will have a markup, but after a few months I believe things will settle down.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 AM
MyBeaches
Pro

How do they know that is the market value? No dealers have sold any yet. Its more like the dealer asking price than market value. I would ask the dealer for a few comparables of ZR1s with order contracts for $150,000.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
2008c6
Burning Brakes

My dealer called and said I could order the ZR1 I had a deposit on. I thought my contract was for MSRP. But he told me it is for "market value". He said the car was about 100K, so I could have it for 150K. I was shocked by the mark up. He said I was welcome to call around but it would probably cost more elsewhere. I'll call back and say to forget it.

After they are out for a year or 2 will he buy it back at 50% over blue book?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I am not surprised at $150K. The interesting thing will be how many ZR1's show up on this forum after there delivered and the person claims they paid MSRP for the car when in fact they didn't.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Vindication
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 PM
m3brad
Racer

I don't want to mention the dealer. Its a free market system and he can try to sell high if he wants to.
Yes, it is a free market system, but according to your thread, you had at least, a verbal contract.

Your tone has changed. If you feel this way, why did you even bother to post this thread in the first place?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

I truly mean no personal disrespect. I don't understand what is so scary about revealing a dealers name. The only way your market place argument makes sense is recognizing there are two sides to the equation, the sellers and the buyers. I am a buyer who does not want to shop at a store that has treated you or any loyal customer in that manner.

I am going to start a thread beginning the naming of dealer relationships in an effort to help us demystify the process. Some (few) seem to be betting a car at MSRP and should share the names for future reference whether we buy now or later. Best
Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 PM
m3brad
Racer

Great idea!

Get notified of new replies

To $150,000 for a ZR1

Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 PM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

Lets not kid ourselves over the ZR1. If a dealer sells a ZR1 for sticker, most if not all will resell it for a nice profit and then come back to him and buy a new Z06 with the cash you made on his generosity. I will be the first honest one to say that I would.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not tell him you will take it at $150k, get his hopes up and at the last minute tell him you found one for msrp.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:29 PM
FIVEPOINTSEVEN
Racer

Originally Posted by GN1270
Why not tell him you will take it at $150k, get his hopes up and at the last minute tell him you found one for msrp.
They dicked you around so its time to turn the tables haha. Dick them around!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] $150,000 for a ZR1