Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 or VIPER ACR

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:25 AM
ZR1OUS
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Default ZR1 or VIPER ACR

Any SRT VIPER and ZR1 owners out there.?? I know this might be a bad place for getting a biased answer but here goes...As a former Vette owner 8 including 3 ZR1s I wanted something a little more rare/exotic.
I bought a 2001 Viper GTS and didnt have it long before I bought/traded for a 2006 SRT-10 Coupe...I thought the upgrades, including HP was worth the money so I upgraded to the 2008 plus the colorsnakeskin Green, is beautiful..
Now comes the crazy part; I have a 2009 ACR on order(at INVOICE price) but can order a ZR1 and get it at a reasonable price..I love the rawness and the low build numbers and LOOKs of the Viper but I also love the ZR1 for its engineering and Iam a long-time vette fan.
The ACR and ZR1 are both GREAT cars in their own right so what would you do.? I do have to sell my 08 Viper coupe to get either car but Iam sure I will get what I need for it...
Lets here some pros and cons on why I should get the ACR or ZR1..
Iam NOT intending this post to be a slam against either car so please no DODGE sucks type comments please,lol....
I intend to use the car as a weekend toy with some track time mainly for better drivers skill....:
Old 03-21-2009, 03:00 AM
iceman22
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion based on what you posted I would choose the ZR1. I have a decent amount of track time under my belt so I feel like I like I'm not completely talking out of my a**. They are both amazing cars. Period. But it sounds like it might be a 90-10 split road to track use? If so stick with the ZR1. When it comes down to it, its more road friendly and a better back country road type of car. If the equation was the oposite and it was going to be 90% track dedicated then I would run the ACR. Track cars are for the track and road cars are for the road and often do the track very well.

For instance, I come from a BMW M3 background and my Uncle has a Exige. His Exige is an absolute blast on the track but I would not want to daily that car and neither does he so that's why he has a C6 as a daily. My M3 was(sold it and my S4 to hopefully pick up a Z06 this spring) my daily and was a ton of fun when I used to go to track days with my uncle. Was it as fast as his through the corners? No. But was it drivers car that was envolving and made you smile? Yes.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman22
In my opinion based on what you posted I would choose the ZR1. I have a decent amount of track time under my belt so I feel like I like I'm not completely talking out of my a**. They are both amazing cars. Period. But it sounds like it might be a 90-10 split road to track use? If so stick with the ZR1. When it comes down to it, its more road friendly and a better back country road type of car. If the equation was the oposite and it was going to be 90% track dedicated then I would run the ACR. Track cars are for the track and road cars are for the road and often do the track very well. .

If I were you I would keep the SRT-8 since your probably going to take a beating on it and get the ZR1 or even a Z06 ( great deals on them now ) since they are both better road cars than the Viper. I think your Snakeskin Green 08 is a beauty and I would not want to give it up if at all possible....best of both worlds.

Hey good luck on whatever you decide on.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:50 AM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Does it really matter.

From your post and sig it looks like you turn cars over so fast with so few miles on them I am not sure it matters. Get the ACR, in case they stop making them, then when you get bored in 1,500 miles a year later trade it for a ZR1. The best of both worlds.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:02 AM
SnakeBitten
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR1OUS
I intend to use the car as a weekend toy with some track time mainly for better drivers skill....:

This statement says the ACR is the better choice for your needs. ZR1 is a DD/track car whereas the ACR is a Weekender/track car. No dilema at all. Plus you said this:

I love the rawness and the low build numbers and LOOKs of the Viper but I also love the ZR1 for its engineering and Iam a long-time vette fan.
Also points to the Viper. Sounds like your passion is with the Viper. What you love about the Viper vs the ZR1 is kinda like loving a girl for her personality[ZR1 engeneering etc] vs loving the girl with the exotic, rare looks.

Personally I believe you really cant go wrong with either. Pick the one that stirs YOUR soul.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:29 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Love the snakeskin green Viper. Throw some black wheels on that bad boy!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 AM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I love both. The ACR seems to be more "exotic/rare" and "raw" as you said and seems like a great track car. I also think that green is very unusual (in a good way). The ZR1 seems more civilized, better daily driver, probably easier to drive quickly, but I'll bet that ACR, with some track time would rock. Disclaimer: Never drove either one.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 AM
RanGer498
Melting Slicks

Seems like a hard choice after looking at this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08nxInpgTGc

but for a daily/track car ILL say the Vett
for a track and some rare street time ill say the ARC

like state the ZR1 is more civilized and im guessing will require less up keep but the ARC is more rare .
Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 PM
65vetteC6
Pro

For strictly track get the ACR. If you want to be able to casually drive around and track get teh ZR1
Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The ZR1 is much more suited for daily driving extremely docile in traffic yet incredible acceleration with all the amenities. The ACR is the baddest Viper ever made and gets 100 times the attention the ZR1 does on the street. The ACR rides about the way your 08 coupe does just a little stiffer. The ACR is faster around a road course but in a straight line I feel the ZR1 is faster. The ACR is more suited for a track car than the ZR1. Collectibility will depend on future production but I think the Viper will be out of production before the Corvette, But its hard to say. You can't go wrong with either car.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 PM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 250 Posts

If you like the aggresive looks of the ACR, you can add a spoiler and diffuser from one of those Vette Motorsport teams - LG or P&M to your ZR1. Best of both world.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

i JUST CANNOT GET INTO THE vIPER.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

This is easy - "I intend to use the car as a weekend toy with some track time mainly for better drivers skill"

Weekend toy..... Viper, without question. Plus, it is almost certain the Viper will no longer be produced (at least by Chrysler/Dodge). Therefore, you're going to have the highest performance Viper ever produced by Chrysler/Dodge. What do you think that means for future value & collect-ability?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Tunedprt91
Instructor

I would just test drive both even though you prob wouldnt get a good feel for the car in a 10 min drive(thats if the dealers even let you). Like already stated you cant go wrong with either choice
Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Fast Freddy
Instructor

Any SRT VIPER and ZR1 owners out there.?? I know this might be a bad place for getting a biased answer but here goes...As a former Vette owner 8 including 3 ZR1s I wanted something a little more rare/exotic.
I bought a 2001 Viper GTS and didnt have it long before I bought/traded for a 2006 SRT-10 Coupe...I thought the upgrades, including HP was worth the money so I upgraded to the 2008 plus the colorsnakeskin Green, is beautiful..
Now comes the crazy part; I have a 2009 ACR on order(at INVOICE price) but can order a ZR1 and get it at a reasonable price..I love the rawness and the low build numbers and LOOKs of the Viper but I also love the ZR1 for its engineering and Iam a long-time vette fan.
The ACR and ZR1 are both GREAT cars in their own right so what would you do.? I do have to sell my 08 Viper coupe to get either car but Iam sure I will get what I need for it...
Iam NOT intending this post to be a slam against either car so please no DODGE sucks type comments please,lol....
if you are gonna track the car i would get the ACR. if you are gonna drive it on the street i would get the ZR1. how about a Ford GT?

Last edited by Fast Freddy; 03-22-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Blow N By
Burning Brakes

Both are hot cars and I'm proud that they are both American made! It's funny though, I like the older viper coupe most of all. I think the styling is classic. Love a black one with silver stripes!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:54 AM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I love the SSG, I think you should keep the car and drop a twin turbo in it.

Last edited by enjoytheview; 03-22-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 or VIPER ACR

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 or VIPER ACR