Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 vs Gen 4 viper dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Andrew M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZR1 vs Gen 4 viper dyno

Some of you may be interested in this since it seems people are constantly claiming gen 4 vipers make more power than zr1's on a dyno.

So Cal viper club had a dyno day yesterday and one viper owners also owns a zr1 which he brought to dyno.

There were several stock gen 4 vipers there and they all made very similar power (within several hp and torque variation).

Average viper dyno 508rwhp and 519rwtq, Zr1 was 519rwhp and 499 rwtq. Same day, same dyno, within minutes of each other. There was also a gt500 super snake(725hp) package that made some pulls 567rwhp and 518 rwtq. The dyno is very conservative no elevated numbers here.

Last edited by Andrew M; 07-14-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Heber Guy
Advanced

Thanks. Nice apples to apples comparison.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Fast Freddy
Instructor

was it a dynojet dyno?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
was it a dynojet dyno?
I would say by the low numbers it was a Mustang dyno.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 PM
redknight
Racer

It's amazing you try to tell someone comparing numbers from different days is pointless and they look at you like you're the idiot.

Were all the vipers regular ones or acrs or a mix? I would think the acr would dyno noticeably higher because of the lightweight wheel/tire combo.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redknight
It's amazing you try to tell someone comparing numbers from different days is pointless and they look at you like you're the idiot.
Thats because they haven't been in the game long.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Andrew M
Instructor

Dyno was a dyno jet, but a properly calibrated dynojet shows just like a mustang. I have had a car on this dyno and then on a mustang the day after and the power was within 5hp.

The vipers were ACR's and and normal gen 4's power output is identical. Some other interesting tidbits a gen 4 viper with headers/exhaust/air filter/tune 564rwhp and 540rwtq. A gen 3 viper stock 430rwhp 450rwtq, with ported stock heads/cam/intake porting/tune 580rwhp 545rwtq.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:54 AM
FLATOUT
Temporary Hold

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew M
Dyno was a dyno jet, but a properly calibrated dynojet shows just like a mustang. I have had a car on this dyno and then on a mustang the day after and the power was within 5hp.

The vipers were ACR's and and normal gen 4's power output is identical. Some other interesting tidbits a gen 4 viper with headers/exhaust/air filter/tune 564rwhp and 540rwtq. A gen 3 viper stock 430rwhp 450rwtq, with ported stock heads/cam/intake porting/tune 580rwhp 545rwtq.
Wow that Gen III Viper with heads and cam made nice numbers.

Thats what I plan on doing with mine. Thanks for the thread buddy cool to see both cars there on the same day, can't argue with that.

Andy Wheeler
Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 PM
11sec_C5Z51
Racer

What are Gen 2 Viper with ported stock heads/cam/intake porting/tune dynoing?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:44 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bet if you threw a cam and ported heads and intake on that 4th Gen you'd get some higher numbers.

Originally Posted by FLATOUT
Wow that Gen III Viper with heads and cam made nice numbers.

Thats what I plan on doing with mine. Thanks for the thread buddy cool to see both cars there on the same day, can't argue with that.

Andy Wheeler

Last edited by bgreen83; 07-13-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

I am not sure how you properly calibrate a Dynojet unless this is not one of their inertial dynos. An inertial dyno is just a big spinning drum, there is no load cell to calibrate like a mustang dyno. All the rest is just a counting the drum rotations and plugging it into a math formula and then application of correction factors. They do sell some eddy current versions now though. Just wonder is they were uncorrected numbers, which is fine for comparison, as they seem low for a dynojet.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Andrew M
Instructor

All numbers were corrected, anything else is pointless. Calibration is done through the software if everything else is in proper working order.

A gen 2 with those mods will do roughly 500-550rwhp, with striker heads you can go much higher just depends on how big of a cam you go with 600rwhp with a mild cam.

Gen 4's wont have a cam available for a while if ever, remember its very elaborate from the factory. Fully variable valve timing with intake and exhaust being completely separate and individually adjustable. It will be a while before someone even manages to to control the valve timing. The system is very complicated something like 5 separate computers handle the car.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:31 PM
redknight
Racer

All numbers were corrected, anything else is pointless. Calibration is done through the software if everything else is in proper working order.

A gen 2 with those mods will do roughly 500-550rwhp, with striker heads you can go much higher just depends on how big of a cam you go with 600rwhp with a mild cam.

Gen 4's wont have a cam available for a while if ever, remember its very elaborate from the factory. Fully variable valve timing with intake and exhaust being completely separate and individually adjustable. It will be a while before someone even manages to to control the valve timing. The system is very complicated something like 5 separate computers handle the car.
I don't understand how the exact same car with much lighter wheels/tires could dyno exactly the same as the car with heavier wheels and runflats.

Also, I would be interested to see the results without the correction factor because one engine is na and one is sc. Shouldn't the correction factor be inaccurate for the ls9 because forced induction engines create their own atmosphere?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by redknight
I don't understand how the exact same car with much lighter wheels/tires could dyno exactly the same as the car with heavier wheels and runflats.

Also, I would be interested to see the results without the correction factor because one engine is na and one is sc. Shouldn't the correction factor be inaccurate for the ls9 because forced induction engines create their own atmosphere?
The lighter tires and wheels will cause lower drivetrain loss so greater wheel horsepower. However, the 0-2% variance between stock engines could cover the inprovement up. One would have to measure the whp of the same car in essentially back to back run with the same engine tempertures to measure the gain.

Interesting question on the NA versus Supercharged, no different correction factor. However, maybe there should be depending on the boost control, if any on the car. Why you ask? Well it would depend on if the boost control was relative boost (7.5 pounds over atmospheric pressure) or absolute pressure (total pressure of 1.5 bar) theoretically with boost control based on relative pressure you would produce more power if the test atmospheric pressure was higher than standard than one based on absolute pressures. So when corrected it would measure lower than measured as it should, but the absolute pressure engine would be corrected lower as well, when in fact it would produce the same hp at the lower standard pressure.

Normally this would only result in only very minor variations. Where it becomes important is producing hp at altitude. Each system of control has its own issues and complications. I do not know which the LS9 has. Does anybody have any insight?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 AM
waltershu
Instructor

here ya go.
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-sr...-wrap-up.html;)
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Andrew M
Instructor

I screwed the pooch on some of the torque numbers for the zr1 and the gt500 SS corrected them in the original post.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM
JBHunter
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I noted with interest your Dyno Day numbers for the Viper, ZR1, and Shelby Supersnake...

I quickly calculated the rear wheel number from advertized horsepower and the calculated the per centage loss for each...

I have a question for those here that are in the know...Jason from Ktech, or Randy from DRM or other well informed persons...

The Viper"lost" only 92 horsepower from 600 engine hp for a 15.3% loss
The ZR1 "lost" 119 hp from 638 engine hp for a 18.6% loss
The Shelby "lost" 158 hp from 725 engine hp for a 21.7% loss

All on the SAME Dyno within minutes of each other...

How can there be such a difference in "drive line loss" for these 3 cars?

The simple evidence shows the Viper 'more efficient' in terms of rwhp...

Can it be the Viper is under-rated and Shelby is over-rated?

Please offer some decent ideas as to the % lost to get dyno rwhp.

Thank you guys.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 vs Gen 4 viper dyno

Old 07-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Fast Freddy
Instructor

a viper has about 15% drivetrain loss and a C5/C6 Vette with a manual trans has about 12.5% drivetrain loss and a Ford GT only has about 10% drivetrain loss. note the 4th gear in a Ford GT is not a 1:1 ratio though......

the Ford GT has the least amount of loss due to its transaxle primarily though.

the Ford GT was only rated at 550 hp from the factory. most dyno ~ 525 rwhp on dynojets so obviously they are underrated

Last edited by Fast Freddy; 07-14-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by JBHunter
I noted with interest your Dyno Day numbers for the Viper, ZR1, and Shelby Supersnake...

I quickly calculated the rear wheel number from advertized horsepower and the calculated the per centage loss for each...

I have a question for those here that are in the know...Jason from Ktech, or Randy from DRM or other well informed persons...

The Viper"lost" only 92 horsepower from 600 engine hp for a 15.3% loss
The ZR1 "lost" 119 hp from 638 engine hp for a 18.6% loss
The Shelby "lost" 158 hp from 725 engine hp for a 21.7% loss

All on the SAME Dyno within minutes of each other...

How can there be such a difference in "drive line loss" for these 3 cars?

The simple evidence shows the Viper 'more efficient' in terms of rwhp...

Can it be the Viper is under-rated and Shelby is over-rated?

Please offer some decent ideas as to the % lost to get dyno rwhp.

Thank you guys.
The drivetrain loss is probably pretty similar for all three cars. The ZR1 and the Supersnake are supercharged so they get heat soaked on the dyno, resulting in a less dense air charge, more knock retard, and Catalyst Over Temp Protection. Chassis dynos are not good for comparing horsepower. It needs to be done in the controlled conditions of an engine dyno room. Nobody is under or over rated. The Viper is not more efficient, and chassis dynos are not good evidence for anything.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-14-2009, 10:24 PM
gm4life
Racer

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
The drivetrain loss is probably pretty similar for all three cars. The ZR1 and the Supersnake are supercharged so they get heat soaked on the dyno, resulting in a less dense air charge, more knock retard, and Catalyst Over Temp Protection. Chassis dynos are not good for comparing horsepower. It needs to be done in the controlled conditions of an engine dyno room. Nobody is under or over rated. The Viper is not more efficient, and chassis dynos are not good evidence for anything.
Off topic question for you. Is it true that GM has the only environmentally controlled test cell in the world? Someone mention this at a GTG and I couldn't find info on it.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 vs Gen 4 viper dyno