Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] New ZR1 Bertone Mantide takes on nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Default New ZR1 Bertone Mantide takes on nurburgring

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/bertone-mantide/low/#10

Newest article..
Some coachbuilt custom supercars are all show. But the owner of a Bertone Mantide is eager to prove that his has got the go to back up his show. Dan Watkins, the British gentleman-racer who bought the first Mantide, is so eager, in fact, that he's pondering personally financing a run at the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1's Nürburgring lap record. And there's every reason to believe his car could reach that goal.

At 7 minutes, 26.4 seconds, the 2009 ZR1 holds the current lap record for a stock, street-legal, series production automobiles (excluding such track-focused machinery as the Viper ACR and Radical SR8). Nissan has its eyes on the ZR1 and is closing in fast, but as delicate and fragile as it may look, the Mantide arguably stands the best chance of besting the supercharged Vette's time – mostly because it's based on the ZR1. Only it's 80kg (176 pounds) lighter and 30% more aerodynamic, thanks to the improvements made to the body by Jason Castriota and his team at Stile Bertone. Also Jay leno has reserved one at $2 million.

Anyone like this Bertone designed ZR1 ?

Last edited by Flex182; 07-24-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The back shows promise... from the rear it looks like the front of the Mitsu EVO, or new Audis. Not bad overall.

The front is HIDEOUS, nothing more to say. The side windows look overdone.

It's success at the 'Ring will depend on how much they have changed the car dynamically from the ZR1. If aero balance or weight distribution have been dramatically changed the (presumably) factory tuned suspension won't cope well.

The wheels look like something out of a low budget Sci-Fi flick - horrible.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:35 PM
my_blue_c5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's already a few threads on the Bertone.

It'll be interesting to see what it does at the Ring though, I'm fairly sure it'll do a tad bit better, but not by much.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Achilles
Instructor

IMO that is about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Too many ducts, coves, vents -

Just doesn't suit my taste at all!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:52 AM
SSphantom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blue Angel
The back shows promise... from the rear it looks like the front of the Mitsu EVO, or new Audis. Not bad overall.

The front is HIDEOUS, nothing more to say. The side windows look overdone.

It's success at the 'Ring will depend on how much they have changed the car dynamically from the ZR1. If aero balance or weight distribution have been dramatically changed the (presumably) factory tuned suspension won't cope well.

The wheels look like something out of a low budget Sci-Fi flick - horrible.

Jason Castriota said they really didn't mess with any of the engineering that was already one. I'm assuming that the weight distribution is probably the same or very similar. They did add cross bars for additional support.

The car is lighter and more aero dynamic so I should help. I can't imagine it being slower than the ZR1 unless the driver is bad.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:24 PM
aLID
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SSphantom
Jason Castriota said they really didn't mess with any of the engineering that was already one. I'm assuming that the weight distribution is probably the same or very similar. They did add cross bars for additional support.

The car is lighter and more aero dynamic so It should help. I can't imagine it being slower than the ZR1 unless the driver is bad.

and i kinda like it. its different than anything else out there.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:49 PM
monaroCountry
Pro

It should go allot faster than the ZR1. Less weight, far better aero, and most likely a more experienced race driver.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:06 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

That friggin thing is ugly as hell..........

Get notified of new replies

To New ZR1 Bertone Mantide takes on nurburgring

Quick Reply: [ZR1] New ZR1 Bertone Mantide takes on nurburgring