Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 - time to consider all-wheel drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default ZR1 - time to consider all-wheel drive?

When the ZR1 was introduced..it was the king of the hill, when it came to acceleration and setting fast laps at the track. But I have noticed lately, that there are a couple of other cars, that are matching and beating the Corvette's times. The cars in particular being the Nissan GT-R and the Porsche Turbo ( as tested in the latest Car & Driver)

What's interesting, as a general rule of physics...the car with the most horsepower and the lightest weight, will be the quickest on acceleration and track times. In both cases....the ZR has more horsepower, and less weight then either the GT-R or the Porsche So what's the problem??......GETTING THE POWER TO THE GROUND.

Both the Nissan and the Porsche have all-wheel drive. Despite the extra weight and complexity of an all-wheel drive system. They are running faster and quicker then the Corvette.

With this in mind, I just wondered if Chevy has considered an all-wheel drive for the ZR1....if not standard, then perhaps an option. The Corvette's reputation is a stake. If you are going to be the big dog on the porch, you have to run like a big dog.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:45 PM
C6Someday
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, It's almost necessary at this point.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 PM
StrykerV8
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally can't see AWD happening, but I'd love to see it with a dual-clutch transmission.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 AM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

The ZR1 is already faster than both of those cars around a track, but I do believe Chevy will do whatever it takes to keep the Corvette at the top of performance among future competition with the C7. AWD? I don't know. Maybe they'll manage to drop 300lbs while maintaining close to the same level of horsepower combined with advanced controls such as the PTC that's already in the 2010 ZR1.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 AM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I hope there will never be a awd corvette from the factory.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:13 AM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default No mid engine, no AWD on the horizon.

Read the latest issue of Vette magazine. They addressed this idea and some others after talking to GM. Bottom line was because of economics, weight, expense and other reasons AWD is not going into the C7. Neither is a mid engine. Not in the next generation or the foreseeable future if ever. A twin turbo V6 was still however on the table. Not too thrilled about that. Check it out, interesting article.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jaxian
Read the latest issue of Vette magazine. They addressed this idea and some others after talking to GM. Bottom line was because of economics, weight, expense and other reasons AWD is not going into the C7. Neither is a mid engine. Not in the next generation or the foreseeable future if ever. A twin turbo V6 was still however on the table. Not too thrilled about that. Check it out, interesting article.
I agree with you........ having a corvette is saying "I gotta V8".

However IMO it is time for a factory clutch-less transmission option for those who are so inspired for whatever reason.

Current reality along with PCM and todays tire technology AWD is not just without any real benefit in a sports car....... it is added expense and weight slowing you down while you wait for it to break....... seems like a no brainer to me

Doug
Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Well let's see here..

Drag strip:
10's in a stock ZR1? All day, baby.
10's in a stock viper? Yup.
10's in a stock GTR? Not in this lifetime.
10s in a stock 911 turbo? Too soon to tell, but possibly.

Road course:
ACR beats them all.
ZR1 comes in second.
The 2010 911 turbo lost to the ZR1 on the road course in the C&D test you mention.
The GTR still couldn't best the ZR1 at Nurburgring even when Nissan turned up the power and changed the tires.

Roll on:
The ZR1 beats them all.

IDK man, going by that stuff it looks like the cars that are only powering the rear wheels aren't doing too bad unless maybe 0-30 or 0-60 mph happens to be your performance measuring stick of choice.

That's all fine and good if they want to offer AWD, a dual clutch transmission, and a turbo V6 option. However, if they do not continue to at least allow buyers the choice to decline those things and stick with RWD, V8 and a regular manual transmission then they have sold me their last Corvette. And something makes me feel like I'm not alone on this one, but who knows.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 AM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorday
That's all fine and good if they want to offer AWD, a dual clutch transmission, and a turbo V6 option. However, if they do not continue to at least allow buyers the choice to decline those things and stick with RWD, V8 and a regular manual transmission then they have sold me their last Corvette. And something makes me feel like I'm not alone on this one, but who knows.
We all have to keep an open mind as to what is coming with the C7. Bottom line, they need to keep it competitive with other brands in terms of performance, ride, etc.

Nothing should be off the table at this point. Corvette along with the other auto manufacturers are dealing with tougher CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards and ever increasing emissions requirements. So we should give GM and all other manfacturers some lee way in how they get it done going forward.

Yes I would love to have a V8, but I don't want a V8 like they used in the late 70s in the Vette that had I believe only 185HP. That defeated the purpose of the car. This was during the energy crisis days and ever tightening environmental requirements.

Now technology has come along way since then, but it does not mean that won't use a V6 like Porsche. Yes AWD is heavier, but it may improve acceleration of a Turbo V6 just like Porsche. There is a balancing act they have to do with the next car.

Let us just hope sales pick up and there is a next car. I saw Top Gear last night, Jeremy Clarkson was driving a New Aston Martin, 510Hp car. And he was sad in his review the entire time. He kept refering to it as the pinnacle and the end of a generation due to the war on speed (mideast unrest, tree-huggers, Fuel standards, etc).

Unfortunately, the next generation of cars is likely to be slower.

Last edited by ZR1Gerhardt; 03-09-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Hecks
Instructor

Default awd

Hey don't believe the numbers C and D quoted recently. We all know a good driver in a ZR 1 can post better times than they did. And, just because there are cars that do everything for their drivers now, it doesn't mean these guys can drive. I recently saw a bunch of crash photos of GTR's and it is my belief that driver friendly cars get some of their drivers in over their heads and then it comes to tears. I know all wheel drive, paddle shift cars are the wave of the future and they are here to stay, but there is something to be said for the stick shift, rear wheel drive car. They are pure. I hope they continue to build cars like the ZR 1 Corvette and the GT 3 Porsche. Long live these machines and the men who can really drive them. By the way, I recently traded in a paddle shifter to get my ZR 1.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I think they're doing just fine as is with their current setup. It's like the pushrod and how some want it to go away in favor of a DOHC setup. I think it's pretty cool GM continues to kick butt with a "bad design" just like Porsche does the same with it's rear engine cars.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:36 PM
raj
Drifting

Default Weight Distribution and Tires

While AWD certainly has its advantages in the real world, it is somewhat antithetical to the Corvette's mission. In maintaining the Corvette's nexus with their highly successful racing program, GM engineers have stayed on course with their keen emphasis on weight reduction. Porsche's most focused driver's cars are the GT2 and GT3RS, and neither has AWD (or for that matter anything other than a manual transmission, but that might change). Ferrari's best performance cars over the years, the 360 and 430 Modena, and the upcoming 458 Italia are all, you guessed right, RWD. The challenge GM has on their hands is how to maximize traction under all situations, both on road and track. They will need to focus on weight distribution and tricks to shift the bias rearward with the front engine, rear transmission layout. In addition, capitalizing on the latest developments in suspension and tire technology will also be a big plus. If it works on the track, there is no reason why it cannot be adapted for the street!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:32 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raj
While AWD certainly has its advantages in the real world, it is somewhat antithetical to the Corvette's mission. In maintaining the Corvette's nexus with their highly successful racing program, GM engineers have stayed on course with their keen emphasis on weight reduction. Porsche's most focused driver's cars are the GT2 and GT3RS, and neither has AWD (or for that matter anything other than a manual transmission, but that might change). Ferrari's best performance cars over the years, the 360 and 430 Modena, and the upcoming 458 Italia are all, you guessed right, RWD. The challenge GM has on their hands is how to maximize traction under all situations, both on road and track. They will need to focus on weight distribution and tricks to shift the bias rearward with the front engine, rear transmission layout. In addition, capitalizing on the latest developments in suspension and tire technology will also be a big plus. If it works on the track, there is no reason why it cannot be adapted for the street!
with all of this. Excellent points as usual, Raj. There's a reason Porsche's ALMS and other GT series cars are not AWD, just like Corvette's, Ferrari's, Aston's, and Viper's, among others. AWD may post impressive 0-60 times and have other good magazine attributes, but they're not what's winning on the track based on my observations.

Balance, engine performance, braking, gearing, chassis geometry, suspension, aerodynamics and reliability are the focus for performance and track competition, not AWD.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

Originally Posted by CFHay
I hope there will never be a awd corvette from the factory.

Zippy
Old 03-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JDRacing
with all of this. Excellent points as usual, Raj. There's a reason Porsche's ALMS and other GT series cars are not AWD, just like Corvette's, Ferrari's, Aston's, and Viper's, among others. AWD may post impressive 0-60 times and have other good magazine attributes, but they're not what's winning on the track based on my observations.

Balance, engine performance, braking, gearing, chassis geometry, suspension, aerodynamics and reliability are the focus for performance and track competition, not AWD.

Hell even the FIA GT1 GT-R is rwd with a V8 and a sequential manual transmission. I don't know if it was to comply with the rules of GT1 or if they choose it because it was the platform of choice. I'm guessing a bit of both.

I love my GT-R for what it is but I also love the Z06 for what it is and I for one would not want to see the Vettes go AWD. Maybe an option like Porsche offers but that's about it.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 03-09-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:56 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, we will all see how AWD performs since GTRs will be racing in World Challenge this year. I think that AWD will kick some serious butt on the track though. Look what it did in the Tire Rack One Lap of America.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 AM
vettegeekz
5th Gear

Originally Posted by C6Someday
I agree, It's almost necessary at this point.
lol.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 - time to consider all-wheel drive?

Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 AM
SSphantom
Instructor

I think the ZR1 was at it's limits with the current setup, but I don't think GM needs to consider AWD unless they intend to go beyond 638 hp. We probably won't see more than 638 hp until or if there is a C7 ZR1.

However, AWD has allowed heavier, less powerful cars to overachieve if you will. Cars like the GTR, Turbo, and R8 V10 are relatively heavy and underpowered compared to the ZR1, but would be able to stay close with a ZR1 on most road courses with a good driver.

But the single biggest improvement that GM can make to the Corvette is a dual clutch transmission.

Corvettes don't need huge hp bumps or AWD - They need faster shifts. Even Ferrari dumped their F1 tranny for it.

If the Z06 had a dual clutch tranny right now, it would come extremely close, if not match ZR1 numbers. GM just needs to put the icing on the cake with the C7.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:01 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by raj
What he said
Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 AM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

ugh, are you serious?...have any of you ever heard of an AWD Ferrari? Exactly, and last time I checked RWD Ferrari's were the pinnacle of sports cars PERIOD...

Don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits of AWD from a technical stand point, but all I'm reading about here is the marketing aspect of it...Corvette does not need AWD to stay relevant END OF STORY.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 - time to consider all-wheel drive?