Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Launch Control - Burning Smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Launch Control - Burning Smell

I used my launch control for the first time. Wow, the car is fast. But the more major concern is the car smelled like something was burning thereafter. It was a sweet burning smell. Anyone else experience this?

Scott
Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Nite Riderrr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 09 ZR1 without the launce control but my Ferrari has it. It might be the clutch burning is what you are smelling.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Staxxin
Advanced

Sorry for the newbie question, but how do you engage the launch control? I have a 2010 and see no options in the car for launch control.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Staxxin
Sorry for the newbie question, but how do you engage the launch control? I have a 2010 and see no options in the car for launch control.
its a feature with in the competitive driving mode.

Press the traction control button until it reads competitive mode on the DIC.

Then point it straight. Push in the clutch in - put it in first - Floor the gas pedal( it should rev to 4000-4500 rpm and it will stay at that rpm with the gas pedal floored) -- Then Dump the clutch fast and hang on.

here is youtube video of a corvette engineer describing how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpDievbsgzU
Old 04-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Staxxin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
its a feature with in the competitive driving mode.

Press the traction control button until it reads competitive mode on the DIC.

Then point it straight. Push in the clutch in - put it in first - Floor the gas pedal( it should rev to 4000-4500 rpm and it will stay at that rpm with the gas pedal floored) -- Then Dump the clutch fast and hang on.

here is youtube video of a corvette engineer describing how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpDievbsgzU
Great info! Thank you!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt
I used my launch control for the first time. Wow, the car is fast. But the more major concern is the car smelled like something was burning thereafter. It was a sweet burning smell. Anyone else experience this?

Scott
Thats the clutch smell - when you used your launch control, did you pop the clutch hard and fast? - you should - do not side step the clutch or slip it. you want to engage it up fast and let the computer do the rest.

Its a cool feature designed as a one up to the Nissan gtR which had it in 2009. GM;s claim to fame with their launch control was if you use it you do not void the warranty. On the Nssan GTR if you used launch control it tracked it in the computer and your warranty was voided the next time you take it in for service and the mechanic scans the ecm.

For 2010 Nissan did away with the launch control feature in the GTR.

i do not think i would make a habit of using it.

I think these zr1 and z06 corvettes have a lot going for them with just rolling into the Gas.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 AM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

I am thinking it was the clutch, because I can't remember how fast I dumped it. Oh well, it was fun and it is warrantied.

That whole thing about the GTRs not being able to use launch control without losing their warranties is just wrong.

Scott
Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt
I am thinking it was the clutch, because I can't remember how fast I dumped it. Oh well, it was fun and it is warrantied.

Scott
You might want to check on that. I seriously doubt a clutch in a ZR1 is covered under warranty.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
You might want to check on that. I seriously doubt a clutch in a ZR1 is covered under warranty.
I believe the clutch is not covered if it fails from reasonable wear and tear. If it should fail at say 1,500 miles after using launch control 1 or 2 times, then you should have a claim. Now drawing that line between reasonable and unreasonable could be hard.

Scott
Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

in the case of the GTR it wasn't the clutch in question, since it is essentially an automatic. Owners were blowing their entire tranny and Nissan voided the warranty, that was the major issue.

In the case of the vettes, the tranny is covered, clutch is case by case. since you can burn out a clutch on a none- launch control car, just by riding it. Clutch is a normal wear and tear item like tires and brake.

Get notified of new replies

To Launch Control - Burning Smell

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Launch Control - Burning Smell