Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 1ZR vs. 3ZR

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Default 1ZR vs. 3ZR

Anyone with a 1ZR out there?

Did you get the 1ZR to save money or weight? Perhaps, for some other reason?

Did you regret getting the 1ZR?

Does it really matter on a car like the ZR1?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Beechdoctor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost all ZR1's are 3ZR equipped....if a someone spends over $120K (make that $105K today) on a car, the mindset of an extra 10% for the "loaded version" is viewed as necessary by most dealers and buyers in that market....wheather it be for resale in the near term or their own preference. In time, when these cars are only worth $50-60K, I doubt the 3ZR equipment package will affect resale by more than $3K.

Other than the leather wrapping, there is really no big gain with 3ZR. Myself, I got the 3ZR because I wanted the Dark Titanium interior, XM, and the bluetooth that is not a 1ZR option. Looking back today, I may have chosen the 1ZR. How many of us really need and or use the heated seats, the memory package, power telescope column and universal remote?? I would rather have the 6 disc CD changer than the outdated, overpriced Nav/radio anyway!

Chevy saw us coming...you either get the base model, or if you want a couple "necessary" options....you are forced to buy it all for $10K. A huge mark-up!!

If you don't mind the "rubbery" interior of the standard vette and don't use the gizmos....save the $10K and the 1ZR will do you just fine.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:27 PM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Beechdoctor
Almost all ZR1's are 3ZR equipped....if a someone spends over $120K (make that $105K today) on a car, the mindset of an extra 10% for the "loaded version" is viewed as necessary by most dealers and buyers in that market....

If you don't mind the "rubbery" interior of the standard vette and don't use the gizmos....save the $10K and the 1ZR will do you just fine.

And be prepared to keep the car a long long time. If you do I agree with this writer. If you trade every 4-5 years spend the money and get the 3ZR. You'll be glad you did. If you think GM hasn't put a bit of thought into this you'd be incorrect. That's why production is about 99% 3ZR. Bucking the trend isn't usually a good thing. (I'm a retired GM dealer of 25 years)

PS. I don't see anyone with a 1ZR responding to this thread, do you?

Last edited by FIRSTC6Z06; 07-26-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:56 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by FIRSTC6Z06
I don't see anyone with a 1ZR responding to this thread, do you?
No, and no PM's either. The numbers are very low, I understand.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
No, and no PM's either. The numbers are very low, I understand.
The numbers are low for reason, 1ZR's don't sell well and will have very pour resale. In the future for the difference in money the 3ZR will be more DESIRABLE, this runs hand in hand with resale. To spend that kind of money and not have the leather wrapped interior, no memory seating, no power telescopic steering wheel (this option I have to have, makes driving a lot more enjoyable for me), No bose radio in a $100,000+ car, etc.

When you spending this kind of money most want the same options their high end passenger cars have.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

And be prepared to keep the car a long long time. If you do I agree with this writer. If you trade every 4-5 years spend the money and get the 3ZR. You'll be glad you did. If you think GM hasn't put a bit of thought into this you'd be incorrect. That's why production is about 99% 3ZR. Bucking the trend isn't usually a good thing. (I'm a retired GM dealer of 25 years)

PS. I don't see anyone with a 1ZR responding to this thread, do you?
I could of bought the 1ZR for a lot cheaper but when I sat in the car if felt a lot cheaper as well. I also think 3ZR will be a much easier resale.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about if you intended to go to Carvaggio and put the 1ZR savings toward the upgrade?
Old 07-27-2010, 04:50 AM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
How about if you intended to go to Carvaggio and put the 1ZR savings toward the upgrade?
Excellent question! I would say that's not a bad idea if your keeping the car a while but remember that interior is like 16K. Now you have a car thats more expensive than a 3ZR with no navigation or Bose radio?

That interior may be a myth because i tried to contact them and got nothing back. After 3 tries I gave up
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 AM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1ZR. My Z06 was fully loaded and I never used anything from the package, so I wasn’t spending $10k for bragging rights. Besides, I didn’t buy my car to sell it. For 2009 there was no performance seat upgrades and the leather stitched dash etc was not an option or I would have went that route.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:09 AM
blue devil 1
Racer

Excellent question! I would say that's not a bad idea if your keeping the car a while but remember that interior is like 16K. Now you have a car thats more expensive than a 3ZR with no navigation or Bose radio?

That interior may be a myth because i tried to contact them and got nothing back. After 3 tries I gave up
What do you meen it may be a myth? They are a excellent company which does a quality job that would be correct for any European exotic made. Have you followed any of their posts here?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 AM
ZR Guy
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

That makes sense in 2009. I didn't think the $10k was worth it till I sat in the 2010 with the upgrade interior. My '10 is so much nicer and well done than my ZO6 was, I think the package is worth it. All the old reviews used to bash the vette for poor interior vs. other high end sportscars. Now they make the interior as good & we should be happy. I think that change plus the NAV plus the bluetooth and a couple other items - it's easy.
This car can park with any of the high end euro competition.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

unless its a track dog i would never purchase a 1zr....even in az i use my heated seats.....the memory seat is great for getting in and out of car...as is the tele wheel...and for resale there is no comparision....guess i am getting old....
Old 07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my mind, if your gonna spend over 100k on a car, whats an extra 10k to get the car fully loaded? Might as well
Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Beechdoctor
Racer

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
In my mind, if your gonna spend over 100k on a car, whats an extra 10k to get the car fully loaded? Might as well

Precisely why most cars are loaded.

When ZR1's are sold new, the buyers represent people that generally are not overly concerned about cost. Dealers like it because the options typically boost the bottom line significantly.

I would prefer that GM allow more choice....what happened with the skipping of a 2ZR package. Perhaps it was planned, but tanked before production launch by marketing strategists.

Chrome wheels are apparently about a 90% uptake too, and yes I got them. Looking back, IMHO, the standard wheel fits the look of the car better now that I reconsider things, and can any of us actually say that the Nav radio is satisfactory??

Not trying to start a flame war, but more is not necessarily better.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:22 PM
TonyC817
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a 1zr and have no complaints, i also have a lambo gallardo and i think my base model 100,000 dollar car is way more comfortable and just as nice interior wise than the 200,000 dollar one.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 PM
SWB3
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Initially I had trouble contacting John as well but I called him directly. My Cyber Grey ZR1 is in his shop right now. I flew up to Toronto a month ago and was very impressed with the work I saw in progress. He is currently replacing my interior and it is going beautifully. I feel the work meets or exceeds my Ferrari, Porsche, BMW and MB. He is definately worth checking out. A lot of people are happy with the current interior and that is OK However there are also a lot of us that are not and would like the interior to meet the driving abilities which frankly GM has done a wonderful job with, for us thank goodness we have Caravaggio.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Predictable. Most people prefer the 3ZR and they are happy that they got it. Few people who got the 1ZR are happy that they got it.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 PM
JAKE-198
Cruising

I just bought a 2009 black on black ZR1 1ZR with chromes....I don't care about leather dash, want to plug in my MP3, have Nav on my phone, and replacing the seat b/c of headroom anyway....so i love my 1zr ZR1....and getting a great deal doesn't hurt, either....

Get notified of new replies

To 1ZR vs. 3ZR

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 1ZR vs. 3ZR