Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] anyone have a Z06 & Zr1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:55 PM
juicedz06
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default anyone have a Z06 & Zr1?

anyone here have a z06 & ZR1? regret having to so similar cars? I have a 2006 Z06 and am thinking about buying a ZR1 tomorrow, found one local for a decent deal.

Don't get my wrong my Z06 will whoop a ZR1 (well until I start modding it ) But a Zr1 is still kinda like Snap on vs craftsman...
Old 08-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Fast & Lazy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by juicedz06
anyone here have a z06 & ZR1? regret having to so similar cars? I have a 2006 Z06 and am thinking about buying a ZR1 tomorrow, found one local for a decent deal.

Don't get my wrong my Z06 will whoop a ZR1 (well until I start modding it ) But a Zr1 is still kinda like Snap on vs craftsman...
I have a 2006 Z06 and a 2010 ZR1. Both are totally stock except for the safety gear for track use....and the slicks I put on for the track.

I wouldn't give up the Z06 at all. It is one awesome car and the ZR1 is a completely different driving experience. I have other cars as well that I drive on the street and the track. Each has its own personality. You can compare each one in many different ways but if you are passionate about cars, then the similarities and the differences are what they are all about.

If you are a musician, you collect varieties of the same instrument and use them to produce different sounds with different qualities for different pieces of music. If you are a "car nut" then you might collect cars and, as I said, each one provides a different experience....vintage cars can still be fast but require a different set of skills and attention to drive well whereas the ZR1 provides the luxury race car experience which is quite different....and each are fun. The Z06 acceleration/torque is completely different from the ZR1. If you must choose only one of either the Z06 or the ZR1, then I would recommend the ZR1...but having both is just plain awesome....and I am one lucky guy.

Fast & Lazy
Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 AM
juicedz06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fast & Lazy
I have a 2006 Z06 and a 2010 ZR1. Both are totally stock except for the safety gear for track use....and the slicks I put on for the track.

I wouldn't give up the Z06 at all. It is one awesome car and the ZR1 is a completely different driving experience. I have other cars as well that I drive on the street and the track. Each has its own personality. You can compare each one in many different ways but if you are passionate about cars, then the similarities and the differences are what they are all about.

If you are a musician, you collect varieties of the same instrument and use them to produce different sounds with different qualities for different pieces of music. If you are a "car nut" then you might collect cars and, as I said, each one provides a different experience....vintage cars can still be fast but require a different set of skills and attention to drive well whereas the ZR1 provides the luxury race car experience which is quite different....and each are fun. The Z06 acceleration/torque is completely different from the ZR1. If you must choose only one of either the Z06 or the ZR1, then I would recommend the ZR1...but having both is just plain awesome....and I am one lucky guy.

Fast & Lazy
Thanks, haven't driven a ZR1 yet.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 AM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by juicedz06
Thanks, haven't driven a ZR1 yet.
i have both as well, and I would say unless you have a modified Z06, there isnt any reason to keep the Z06 really. My Z06's battery died, yes cause I barely drive it
Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 AM
juicedz06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zeshawn
i have both as well, and I would say unless you have a modified Z06, there isnt any reason to keep the Z06 really. My Z06's battery died, yes cause I barely drive it
my Z06 is a little modded
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 AM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

I am admittedly blessed to currently own both a 2006 Z06 and a 2009 ZR1.

Both cars are ridiculously sick in their own way. You definitely feel the road with the Z06 whereas the ZR1 softens the road. I equate the ZR1 road feel to the Caddy XLR-V. The power band on the 638hp 604ft-lb torque ZR1 is damn near endless, however the Z06 is no slouch as there is no substitute for cubic inches. IMHO, the naturally aspirated 427cid Z06 offers the best performance for dollar ratio in the industry.

I have had the pleasure of tracking both cars numerous times at Spring Mountain in Pahrump NV, Bondurant in Chandler AZ and Road America in Elkhart Lake WI. I equally enjoyed both cars for their own merits. I like the carbon ceramic brakes much better on the ZR1 offering a consistent brake pedal experience from the start when the brakes are cool to the end after many hot laps. The ZR1 brakes simply don’t fade where as the Z06 brakes when they get hot fade and start to high squeal chirp. I like the way the ZR1 shifts much better than the Z06 as the opportunity to miss-shift is higher on the Z06, especially going from 1st to 2nd. The ZR1 releasing out of corners is a rocket-ship. When I was at Bondurant last month July, it was 115-degrees and sunny on both days. I raced both the ZR1 and Z06 hard each day with the air conditioning blasted with absolutely no overheating. The highest coolant temperature experienced was 235-degrees. Each car stood tall each day after its beating. Quite impressive!

Admittedly the Z06 sits in the garage more than the ZR1 which in my opinion is simply a more pleasureful driving experience. When I take my Victory red Z06 to car shows, yes there are a few that gather around the car, now I take my Black ZR1 out to the shows, people flock around the car with heightened interests. I realize part of this is due to you simply don’t see as many ZR1’s on the road as Z06’s.

The ZR1 mesmerizes. I have had folks endlessly walk around the car and have difficulty prying themselves away from the car saying “I just gotta have one of these”. Something about a stealth-looking black ZR1 that drives people crazy… The interests by car enthusiasts in the ZR1 is simply astonishing, which is part of the fun of owning a car, seeing others enjoying.

Yes, each car has a few flaws to deal with here and there, but for that matter what car made on this planet doesn’t. I don’t get involved with the ranting posts as regardless of the flaws, IMHO the Corvette Z06 and ZR1 are truly the finest pieces American muscle coming out of domestic production plants.

GM, no matter the financial troubles you are experiencing, I tip my hat to you for creating flat out the most pleasureful car owner experiences I have ever had, bar none!

If finances, garage space and wiffy permits, go for it and experience yourself the true joy both cars offer. Take both cars to a show, nothing better than having your wife follow you to show. Really opens up some eyes. I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Fast & Lazy

Originally Posted by 638HP

Both cars are ridiculously sick in their own way. You definitely feel the road with the Z06 whereas the ZR1 softens the road. I equate the ZR1 road feel to the Caddy XLR-V. The power band on the 638hp 604ft-lb torque ZR1 is damn near endless, however the Z06 is no slouch as there is no substitute for cubic inches. IMHO, the naturally aspirated 427cid Z06 offers the best performance for dollar ratio in the industry.

The ZR1 mesmerizes. I have had folks endlessly walk around the car and have difficulty prying themselves away from the car saying “I just gotta have one of these”. Something about a stealth-looking black ZR1 that drives people crazy… The interests by car enthusiasts in the ZR1 is simply astonishing, which is part of the fun of owning a car, seeing others enjoying.

If finances, garage space and wiffy permits, go for it and experience yourself the true joy both cars offer. Take both cars to a show, nothing better than having your wife follow you to show. Really opens up some eyes. I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
I too have a Z06 and a ZR1. I agree with both of the above and couldn't have said it better!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Corvette_Outlaw
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 638HP

I have had the pleasure of tracking both cars numerous times at Spring Mountain in Pahrump NV, Bondurant in Chandler AZ and Road America in Elkhart Lake WI. I equally enjoyed both cars for their own merits. I like the carbon ceramic brakes much better on the ZR1 offering a consistent brake pedal experience from the start when the brakes are cool to the end after many hot laps. The ZR1 brakes simply don’t fade where as the Z06 brakes when they get hot fade and start to high squeal chirp. I like the way the ZR1 shifts much better than the Z06 as the opportunity to miss-shift is higher on the Z06, especially going from 1st to 2nd. The ZR1 releasing out of corners is a rocket-ship. When I was at Bondurant last month July, it was 115-degrees and sunny on both days. I raced both the ZR1 and Z06 hard each day with the air conditioning blasted with absolutely no overheating. The highest coolant temperature experienced was 235-degrees. Each car stood tall each day after its beating. Quite impressive!

Admittedly the Z06 sits in the garage more than the ZR1 which in my opinion is simply a more pleasureful driving experience. When I take my Victory red Z06 to car shows, yes there are a few that gather around the car, now I take my Black ZR1 out to the shows, people flock around the car with heightened interests. I realize part of this is due to you simply don’t see as many ZR1’s on the road as Z06’s.

Yes, each car has a few flaws to deal with here and there, but for that matter what car made on this planet doesn’t. I don’t get involved with the ranting posts as regardless of the flaws, IMHO the Corvette Z06 and ZR1 are truly the finest pieces American muscle coming out of domestic production plants.

GM, no matter the financial troubles you are experiencing, I tip my hat to you for creating flat out the most pleasureful car owner experiences I have ever had, bar none!

Great post

Last edited by Corvette_Outlaw; 08-03-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM
RRGOO7
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 12 Posts

Have an 06 Z06 and 09 ZR1. Love owning both. Z06 is a much rawer car IMO.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I've got a 2006 Katech Stage 1 Z-06 and a 2010 ZR1.

Both cars are great cars. I feel very fortunate to be able to have both of them. They are very different in personality. The Z, being modded, has the cam lope, loud exhaust and pinned down ride of the Z's suspension. The ZR (which is bone stock) is smoother, more docile and has very impressive power - the LS9 pulls like a beast.

It's great having the modded Z and a stock ZR. Choosing one to drive basically comes down to what kind of mood I'm in. I've named them Dirty Harry and James Bond as that sums up each car's personality the best. They'll both kick ****. One will do so with a raw style and a bit rougher approach ("I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk? ").

The other one will do so with style and a high dose of "cool" ("Do you want a clean kill or do you want to send a message?").

If you have the chance to get a ZR, you should do so. You definitely won't regret it. They simply are the most impressive Corvettes ever made.

Travis.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
ZR1/Z06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have both LeMans Blue 2007 Z06 and Jetstream Blue 2010 ZR1. Had to keep the Z06 because we are "trying to go green". The Z06 getts much better gas mileage!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:32 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Have a Victory Red 08 Z06 and Torch Red 2010 ZR1.

My Dad has a stake in both, so we share. They are different enough to justify if you have the means.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 PM
geterdn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 09 Z06 and 09 ZR1....the only thing i regret is they both are Cyber Gray..... i did not have a choice on the ZR1, bought it during the frenzey early spring of 09 when you had to take what they had.....
I can honestly say that both cars are something special. The Z06 is the best bang for the buck in high performance cars and the ZR1 goes over the top........
Old 08-03-2010, 09:55 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have a 1963 Z06 and 2010 ZR1
Old 08-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Corvette_Outlaw
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
I have a 1963 Z06 and 2010 ZR1
Something tells me there's a huge difference between those
Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Fast & Lazy

Agreed. Different in their own respects, but equally fun and worthy. I drive the ZO6 less because of the performance difference (it still screams), but more so that the everyday comforts of the 2006 pale in comparison to the 2010. BTW, I still drive the C5 many days of the week, although it gets harder and harder when compared to the Z's!!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 AM
teds427
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts

11K on the 09 ZR1 and 34K on the 06 ZO6 loving them both.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone have a Z06 & Zr1?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by ZR1/Z06
Have both LeMans Blue 2007 Z06 and Jetstream Blue 2010 ZR1. Had to keep the Z06 because we are "trying to go green". The Z06 getts much better gas mileage!!!!

Need a tag that says GRNCAR for the Z06 and when someone asks you can tell them this is as green as it gets
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 AM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Have an 09 Z06 and a 10 ZR1.
Two totally different animals.

cheers!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Runnn
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by geterdn
I have 09 Z06 and 09 ZR1....the only thing i regret is they both are Cyber Gray..... i did not have a choice on the ZR1, bought it during the frenzey early spring of 09 when you had to take what they had.....
I can honestly say that both cars are something special. The Z06 is the best bang for the buck in high performance cars and the ZR1 goes over the top........
I hear u on the color issue... color's ALWAYS the toughest decision for me, and , although I don't have a ZR1 yet, when I do get one I prob won't get blk since my GT1 Coupe is that color.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] anyone have a Z06 & Zr1?