Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Tire shake 70/80

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
DYNAMIC RON
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire shake 70/80

Just wanted to let everyone know I had the tire shake, heard it would go away and it did. She is at 2900 miles and no shake at all. I didn't do a thing except burnish the brakes and enjoy the driving pleasure. What a machine!!! I recieved the book this week. I am a first time Corvette owner.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear, Ron. I had the same experience at just about the same mileage.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

OK, what is causing this shake. Tires flat spotted perhaps? I am curious and a bit concerned because I am close to pulling the trigger on a cyber gray '10.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
OK, what is causing this shake. Tires flat spotted perhaps? I am curious and a bit concerned because I am close to pulling the trigger on a cyber gray '10.

Thanks.
Well....nobody is quite sure!!

Some have it, some don't. It seems to get better over time for many that have it.

Take a look at this thread and you'll know what the forum has found out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...l-balance.html

Bob
Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Don't bother asking your local dealer as you'll likely get bad info.I'm sitting tight waiting for one of the many forum members to figure it out.I"m getting a little annoyed about this--2010.1100miles.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:41 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Well....nobody is quite sure!!

Some have it, some don't. It seems to get better over time for many that have it.

Take a look at this thread and you'll know what the forum has found out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...l-balance.html

Bob
Thanks, read the thread and it seems this is a VERY widespread problem! No I am thinking that there is no way I will buy any ZR1 before taking it out on the highway first. Maybe I should just keep my paid for '08 Z - never any vibration problems and I have the Michelin PS2 ZPs. Sounds like most of the problem relates to the the rotors and/hubs.

Frankly, this is giving me a lot of concern...
Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 AM
DYNAMIC RON
Instructor

Originally Posted by DYNAMIC RON
Just wanted to let everyone know I had the tire shake, heard it would go away and it did. She is at 2900 miles and no shake at all. I didn't do a thing except burnish the brakes and enjoy the driving pleasure. What a machine!!! I recieved the book this week. I am a first time Corvette owner.
PULL THE TRIGGER! I was concerned but it worked out. It has to be the tires. I didn't touch a thing on the car and i didn't want any one else to. My plan was to wait it out then take the tires off myself and take them to a tire store that had the latest balanceing equipment. The rims and rotors can't change. I haven't heard a thing from the people who put different wheels and tires on.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:52 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAMIC RON
I haven't heard a thing from the people who put different wheels and tires on.
Here is an example: see post #37
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...erforming.html
Old 11-06-2010, 01:35 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a 09 Z06 with the Factory chrome spyders. I recently put a set of 3 piece 20/20 wheels and tires on it. Before putting the new wheels and tires on I had zero shake at the 70-75 mph treshold. I put the aftermarket set on and it was perfect as well. I had a small problem with one of the aftermarket wheels so I had to send the one wheel back to manufacturer for repair. While the one wheel was out for repair I put the factory spyders back on. The car will shake your teeth out at 75 mph now. Same wheels and tires put back on the same corners they originally came from. I think someone said on here it was a wheel indexing problem and the way to fix it was to keep removing wheels and changing position on lugs one space at a time. What a pia that would be. I got my 3 piece wheel back and reinstalled them. Now they are perfect again.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:13 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,977 Likes on 1,216 Posts

How did you store your original wheels/tires when they were off the car? Did you lay them down or were they standing up?

What air pressure did you have in them while in storage, once reinstalled?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:26 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
How did you store your original wheels/tires when they were off the car? Did you lay them down or were they standing up?

What air pressure did you have in them while in storage, once reinstalled?
Stored them laying down on a wood pallet. 30 pounds both times. They where only off car for a month before I needed to reinstall them. I think they vibrated on the reinstall because they where not in the same exact position on lugs as they where when they left the factory.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire shake 70/80

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Tire shake 70/80