Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Got a clear bra installed on the ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Got a clear bra installed on the ZR1

Helps me sleep better at night. The installer is a 16 year veteran and did an awesome job. It's all custom and little more expensive, but looks much better than pre-cut pieces.

finished product:

Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much of the car did you have wrapped?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
How much of the car did you have wrapped?
24" of the hood/fenders, entire front bumper, headlights, fog lights, front splitter, 12 inches of CF roof, and side mirrors.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:47 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
24" of the hood/fenders, entire front bumper, headlights, fog lights, front splitter, 12 inches of CF roof, and side mirrors.
Lightweight. j/k

On my Z06 I have the entire front bumper with emblems and marker lights removed, the entire hood wrapped, both fenders fully wrapped, rocker panels, brake duct areas, and the whole roof. Oh and the door handle pockets. Oh and the mirrors.

:o

Not sure I'd ever go that extreme again though.

Ryan

Last edited by reidry; 01-07-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Who is your installer?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I did all those areas but also the front quarter panels behind the front wheels, the area surrounding the ducts are vulnerable, then the first 18 inches of the CF rockers, the chrome ZR1 sill plates to protect them from shoe skuffs, the rear deck lid to protect from palm marks, and very importantly, the rear quarter panels in front of the wheels where it is flared and around the brake vent inlet, an area that will catch a lot of stones thrown up by the front tires.

But anything done is a huge improvement in protection over doing nothing, and then finding the car bead blasted.

The installer spent 10 hours over two days, and the cost was around $500.

Edit:
No I didn't do the full panel area treatment Reidry did, that's awesome. I was referring to the areas the OP described. Did get the mirrors though.

Last edited by Reciprocal; 01-08-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:55 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Who is your installer?
Norm.

www.invisibra.net
Old 01-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
I did all those areas but also the front quarter panels behind the front wheels, the area surrounding the ducts are vulnerable, then the first 18 inches of the CF rockers, the chrome ZR1 sill plates to protect them from shoe skuffs, the rear deck lid to protect from palm marks, and very importantly, the rear quarter panels in front of the wheels where it is flared and around the brake vent inlet, an area that will catch a lot of stones thrown up by the front tires.

But anything done is a huge improvement in protection over doing nothing, and then finding the car bead blasted.

The installer spent 10 hours over two days, and the cost was around $500.

Edit:
No I didn't do the full panel area treatment Reidry did, that's awesome. I was referring to the areas the OP described. Did get the mirrors though.
500.00??what a great deal. One can sure tell the difference in prices from state to state. In Ca the would have cost 2500.00+++++
BTW I love what you did
Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Zr1performance
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a great price! Looks great too.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Well he is using bulk film and doing custom cuts. Its much cheaper route... more dangerous too since he is cutting on the car. I have heard Norm is good though so it looks like you got a great deal. Do you ever go out to the Cars and Coffee in Dallas? If so I would love to see his work sometime.... I am a fellow installer.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

I am very happy with Norm's work, but my install was not $500. Reciprocal said that and his price is crazy cheap. Good installers don't work for free and 10 hours for $500 not counting overhead and film is exceptionally cheap.

Texas Venom, I do go to C&C and Norm is out there all the time. If the weather is good, I'll be out there for the Feb event.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I am very happy with Norm's work, but my install was not $500. Reciprocal said that and his price is crazy cheap. Good installers don't work for free and 10 hours for $500 not counting overhead and film is exceptionally cheap.
I'm sorry, I checked again and I was wrong about the price by $150, it was $650.

But not only was Tony good, but he came to my house to do the install. He works locally with several of the dealers, and was recommended by Mike and Jay at Purifoy Chevrolet. He does all the corvettes for them.

But I have to mention, I've been buying 3M Clear Bra for years now, and what I just paid was the most I've paid, most times more like $350 but for lesser amounts of coverage.

From my experience, it's always been a whole bunch less money in this region, than what has been mentioned here.

Tony's company uses precut pieces, and he custom fits from bulk stock as well, depending. But I've used other local 3M installers, John's Sunroof, another franchise too, they've all been good and reasonable. I also get my motorcycles treated with 3M, tank, fairing, fenders, forks. Never any shortage of installers and they've all done good work, my $0.02. So I'm not sure why it's so expensive unless it's a regional thing, or they are price gouging because you show up with an expensive sports car.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Nice
Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Nite Riderrr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks nice I will have to have my cars done
Old 01-12-2011, 12:24 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly100
500.00??what a great deal. One can sure tell the difference in prices from state to state. In Ca the would have cost 2500.00+++++
BTW I love what you did
There is a definitely a difference between product, just like tires. I've seen some pretty poor clear bra product after a few years, just like window tint. It gets ugly
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
There is a definitely a difference between product, just like tires. I've seen some pretty poor clear bra product after a few years, just like window tint. It gets ugly
It's 3M. No one has asked for the kind of money being mentioned here, where I live.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Doing full wraps can easily cost upwards of $2500. I'm assuming he is talking about Premier out in Cali who are the best in the business.

Get notified of new replies

To Got a clear bra installed on the ZR1

Old 01-12-2011, 10:59 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

It's 3M. No one has asked for the kind of money being mentioned here, where I live.
Honestly, I wouldn't know how to tell the difference just by lookin as it is being applied. Mine was a 3M product but cost me $2k. I didn't get the whole car wrapped, but like the other posts, full front (slpitter, nose, HLights, Lexan window, hood, both front quarters and all the trick areas). No doors, roof , trunk deck or complete rear quarters..

From what it sounds like, guys like us on the left coast are being robbed
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
Honestly, I wouldn't know how to tell the difference just by lookin as it is being applied. Mine was a 3M product...
It says 3M on the backing paper. Now whether it's the best or not, I can't say because it's all I've used. But Tony has a complaint about the 3M, that the backing paper itself leaves fine, micro scratches on the clear surface when it's rolled up. He says there is a competitive product (I don't know the name) that does not have that problem, but also is not as good in some other ways, but I forget how.

Myself, I'm not hugely critical, it's hard to see it's there, and the purpose I intended it for is to protect the underlying surface, by giving itself up to the destructive elements common in Colorado, with the intention that it can be removed or replaced when worn out.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

It says 3M on the backing paper. Now whether it's the best or not, I can't say because it's all I've used. But Tony has a complaint about the 3M, that the backing paper itself leaves fine, micro scratches on the clear surface when it's rolled up. He says there is a competitive product (I don't know the name) that does not have that problem, but also is not as good in some other ways, but I forget how.

Myself, I'm not hugely critical, it's hard to see it's there, and the purpose I intended it for is to protect the underlying surface, by giving itself up to the destructive elements common in Colorado, with the intention that it can be removed or replaced when worn out.
Exactly!! One of the guys that tracks his car has 3 sheets added to his windshield as well and pulls them off as they wear out. All about protection...

As far as quality, what I meant to add was I saw a Porsche that had been done by some other company waiting to get a new bra. It looked yellow and it had thousands of wrinkles everywhere as it aged, kinda like a bad window tint.

The company that did mine had a program than dialed up a template for each part of the car section to be masked (like hood or quarter panel). It was then pre cut on the roll (of 3M) as it came off a machine. The role was approximately 4 feet long with many layers (50?) of clear masking. Not sure how many sq feet per roll.

Pretty slick operation, but it still took him about 5 hours as he hand trimmed any excess, etc. Maybe there is a smidge extra on a few of the templates to ensure proper/complete coverage, or maybe "Oh Geez, the blade slipped" factor. Or maybe the bra parts have to be stretched when placing it and the excess needs to be trimmed

As far as hand cut or pre cut.. the OP's car looks fantastic. Congrats QUIKAG

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Got a clear bra installed on the ZR1