Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Incredible experience at Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:59 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Incredible experience at Spring Mountain

I have participated in track days for the last several years in three different Corvettes. I've always been able to hang with most of the faster guys because I'm a very aggressive driver. I can gun it down straightaways and dive bomb into corners with the best of them. I drive basically full throttle or full brake and can hold a car at or just past the limit of adhesion in corners. I didn't need instruction as I run in the advanced group and I can drive fast. Instruction is for sissies.

Boy, was I wrong...

I check into my room at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch Sunday early evening on the 20th of March, 2011. I am greeted to a VERY nicely finished room. I was shocked. Solid wood furniture, granite, great bed, overall very nice finish-out. Staying at the trackside condo is a no brainer without a doubt.

The clubhouse and the breakfast and lunch on all days was stellar. Facility is absolutely first-class and the food is of high quality. I can prove it as I gained weight even with all the track time. It was obvious the owner of this facility built it to his standard and if he makes money in the long run, great, otherwise he doesn't care because he just wanted it to be nice. I mean it has raquetball, 15 person indoor spa, pool, indoor gun range, etc.

lounge area in club house(how many TV's can you count?):

eating area in club house:

Just down a little ways is where the magic happens:

So, to get down the point of the school (hey, I like a nice bed and good food. ), it was just amazing. I could write 4 pages on all the intricate details, but the school is extremely well-organized. There is tons of track time with many very, very helpful exercises. I am now comfortable with heel-toe shifting. They make it a priority and have a VERY fun exercise where you drive up and down the back straight in a big loop speeding up to 60-70mph and then braking and practicing a 4-3 downshift while blipping the throttle (i.e. heel-toe). You do that on both Monday and Tuesday for about 30 minutes each day. You also do wet figure-eight, wet braking exercises with/without ABS, dry short oval, and a TON of track time. Speaking of which DO THE THIRD DAY, it is worth every dime. You get SIX track sessions, over 2 hours of track time on the 3rd day. I almost didn't go out on the last session because I was so happy tired. It is tiring, but absolutely thrilling.

The classroom instruction is also top-notch, it's very focused and very informational and detailed, but it's also not too long. The classroom sessions are just long enough to recover and relax before the next track session while learning something at the same time. Timing is just right.

What is amazing about the school is the instructors are all very gifted and skilled drivers, but they are even better communicators. We had people in the class that had never driven on a track before and when they go full throttle, they get a little scared. The instructors helped each and every one of the students from the least experienced to the most experienced with detailed and tailored attention. No one leaves the school without learning a ton, no matter how good or bad you start out.

So, with my track experience, I was pretty confident and the instructors quickly realized I could drive aggressively and push the car, even if I was pretty sloppy at doing so. The instruction and drills on Monday and Tuesday were immensely helpful, but it all came together this morning (Wednesday). The instructors started at lead-follow on Monday and early Tuesday, but at the end of the day on Tuesday, the student leads with the instructor following and providing tips. Well, Wednesday I go out in a ZR1 with Rick Malone following. I figure I'm going to show him what's up with my 638hp Vette and walk away from his 430hp Grand Sport. HAHAHAHA.

The other half of the class that got transported out to the track on a hill overlooking turn 7 (turn right before the long back straight) got quite a show during my "run from Rick" session. I'm rocketing around the track, gunning it to the last second, heel-toe downshifting, and divebombing into corners with Rick in hot pursuit. I'm jamming the ZR1 around the track pushing as hard as I can and guess what? Rick is RIGHT BEHIND ME. I couldn't shake him. Even on the long back straight, I'd divebomb into Turn 7, downshift to 2nd gear, and rocket up through 4th gear and I just wasn't getting away from him.

It was during that time and afterwards when I was told and realized that using a car, even a ZR1, as a sledgehammer to get around the track just isn't the fastest. Precision, precise braking with perfect corner entry on the right line and early throttle application right at or just past the apex will get you moving faster out of the corner and to the next corner. Rick was running much better lines and had much better exit speed than me on the corners and it was overcoming my 208hp advantage. He explained it all to me and the light bulb came on.

Two other instructors (Jeff and Mat) rode with me in subsequent sessions and fine tuned my lines and steering and braking and acceleration points. The last few sessions a few of the instructors were timing my laps and I felt it all come together for me on the last session. Jeff told me I ran a 1:49 which apparently is a pretty good time for a stock ZR1 on the 2.2 course. All I know is I wasn't working as hard by jamming the throttle, jamming the brakes, sawing the wheel, and I was actually going faster. Scalpel technique apparently works better than sledgehammer technique. It was profound to me after all these years overdriving at track days. It is counter-intuitive, but it is true...to feel like your going slower and more controlled and actually be going faster. I always equated speed with working hard behind the wheel. Not so.

Thank you again, Rick and the whole Spring Mountain staff. Absolutely first class facility, first class staff, first class vehicles, and first class training. I fully intend on doing the Level 2 and Level 3 course. It is worth every single penny to anyone who cares about driving.

Can you spot 3 yellow Vettes in the pic?

Last edited by QUIKAG; 03-24-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I'm headed out there this Sunday, thanks for the detailed info. I couldn't be more excited.

Any idea what was your track time when you started?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks for a very detailed write-up on your Spring Mountain experience. It was very informative. I have been considering this for a while and this was very good info Sounds like a great learning experience.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

WOW

I would love to do that !
Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

awesome review! thanks for the pics~!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default dittoes

with QUIKAG. It was so worth the experience. And, don't even think about staying anywhere but the condos. There is no place in Pahrump that even comes close to the quality and convenience of the condos at any price.

I, too, felt the same way on the 3rd day. I was mentally exhausted during the last session. The best comparison that I can think of is for any fellow pilots out there. The level of concentration required during the track sessions, at least for me, is similar to that of a non-precision, circling instrument approach to minimums at Aspen during a snowstorm with windshear with one engine inop while low on fuel (in a simulator of course). The big difference is that the track time is 30 minutes of pure concentration and the instrument approach is only 5 or 10. One might require a vacation after this vacation.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
91Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

QUIKAG did an excellent job in his write up. I, too, attended the three day ZR1 class this week at Spring Mountain Motorsports. This was my first driving school experience and it was top notch. The condos, clubhouse, track and vehicles were pristine. The instructors were personable, helpful, and a lot of fun.

The class atmosphere was very good, as I met a lot of like minded Corvette enthusiasts. Student driving skill varied as some (like myself) had not been on a track before and others had track experience under their belts. With that said, there were no hot dogs on the track. Yes, there was some good natured competition, but we were all focused on improving our technique and exhibited exceptional track manners. At the end of three days, all of the students had improved their skills tremendously.

If you have the chance, I highly recommend Spring Mountain and their three day course. Rick Malone and his staff of highly skilled instructors will help you hone your skills.

Last edited by 91Vette; 03-25-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Great write-up!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM
2muchhp
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm kinda like you on the track. So I ask myself - do I wanna BE fast? Or FEEL fast? haha

Anyway I will be there starting on Monday for my personal thrashing from Rick!!

Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

great write-up...thanks for sharing !
Old 03-24-2011, 05:16 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice write up. Very important point that you made is you need to be SMOOTH to go fast...they kept emphasizing this and it is very true. Go slow to go fast--meaning braking early and downshifting early to carry the proper speed/line in control, through each corner. Very humbling to see instructors in cars with 200 hp less and inferior brakes, shocks and tires keeping up with or beating us in ZR1's

I did the 3 day course (which is almost a must if you can swing the $) and loved it---stayed in Vegas just because I had the wife and kids with me and there was nothing for them to do in Parhump while I was driving--but next time (already put down deposit on Level2!!!) will stay at the condos.

Can't wait til level 2 and/or Radical school
Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am starting to kick around this as our (MY- lol) next vacation!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Sounds like a great time, nice write-up!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 PM
2011ZR1CYBERGREY
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post....I have heard so many good things about SM. I'm going on April 11-13 and I can't wait. I have some track experience in my AWD 911 turbo but I'm really looking forward to 638 HP rear wheel drive in the world class ZR1 super car. My friend Ed was at SM and got back today "gushing" on how much fun it was, how professional the staff was and how much he got out of it. I can't wait. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

That's a really great write-up. I'm scheduled to go in October.

What kind of shoes did you guys wear when attending the class?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 PM
2muchhp
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake.Oiler
That's a really great write-up. I'm scheduled to go in October.

What kind of shoes did you guys wear when attending the class?
They sell Piloti but you must use a racing shoe
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Great summary.

Snake. . . get some Piloti shoes. SM actually stocks and sells them.

It's a great driver's school.

Get notified of new replies

To Incredible experience at Spring Mountain

Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

I had to "break-in" my Piloti shoes. It took a couple of weeks, your milage may vary...
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks, guys. They sell shoes there and the prices are competitive, so I just tried on a few different brands/models and found a pair of Piloti' that fit well. They felt great and really help with the pedal feel and the heel-toe.

Nice meeting you, Josh (91Vette), and say hi to Ed for me 2011CyberGray. I'm loving his shift ****.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:00 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Is there anything else you wish you took along? (Camera - check; sunglasses - check,...)

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Incredible experience at Spring Mountain