Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Press Release - 2012 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Press Release - 2012 Corvette

Corvette Performance Reaches Higher in 2012

Interior enhancements, new performance packages highlight upgrades

DETROIT – Chevrolet announced today that it will once again elevate Corvette’s performance capabilities with a series of improvements for the 2012 model year that enhance on-track
performance and on-road comfort. They include enhancements to the high-performance Z06 and ZR1 models as well as interior upgrades across the Corvette lineup.

Sports car fans will get their first look at the 2012 models – including the racing-inspired appearance of the Chevrolet Centennial Edition – at a special event this weekend at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky. Production begins in July.

“We constantly strive to make the Corvette a better car on the road and the track,” says Tadge Juechter, Corvette vehicle line director and chief engineer. “For 2012, the Corvette lineup achieves its highest performance level ever, while at the same time being easier to drive an enjoy thanks to several changes and new features inside the car.”

New Michelin Cup ZP tires elevate Z06/ZR1 performance Corvette’s greater performance for 2012 begins with the new, optional Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires, which are available on the two highest-performing models, the lightweight, 505-hp (377 kW) Z06 and the maximum-performance, 638-hp (476 kW) supercharged ZR1. They are competition-oriented tires, optimized for warm, dry conditions to increase cornering and handling capability.
When combined with the Corvette’s exclusive Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology – which manages torque delivery for maximum performance – the tires are expected to help set new benchmarks for Corvette performance. Engineers estimate an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to more than 1.1g, and improved braking distance. Testing at Virginia International Raceway has demonstrated improvement of approximately three seconds per lap.

The Cup ZP tires were developed by the same Michelin engineers who develop tires for Corvette Racing in the American Le Mans Series and are essentially streetlegal versions of a racing tire. They are included in the optional Z07 performance package on the Corvette Z06 and a new PDE performance package on the ZR1. The 285/30-19 (front) and 335/25-20 (rear) tires are matched with all-new aluminum Cup-style wheels in satin black or machined finishes. They are about five pounds lighter (2.2 kg) and stronger than the 20-spoke wheel offered in 2011.

Performance Traction Management (offered on the Z06 for the first time in 2012) is an advanced system that optimizes traction for greater and more consistent on-track performance.
PTM also integrates traction control, active handling and selective ride control systems to enhance race track driving consistency and overall performance. When full throttle is applied upon exiting a corner, it automatically manages acceleration dynamics.

A full-width racing style spoiler for improved aerodynamics is also included in both the ’12 Z07 and PDE packages. The Z06 model will now offer Magnetic Selective Ride Control, the world’s fastest-reacting suspension technology – an innovation Corvette pioneered several years ago.

And as before, Brembo carbon ceramic brakes will be a part of the Z07 chassis package (they are standard on ZR1). Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires remain standard on the ZR1.

A carbon fiber hood will be an available option on 2012 Z06 models, while the standard manual transmission for ZR1 will include taller gearing in fifth and sixth gears, for a 2-mpg improvement
in highway fuel economy.

Interior and feature changes

All 2012 Corvette models will include a new seat design and a new steering wheel. The seats feature improved appearance and larger bolsters on the seat back and cushion areas, which
provide better driver support, especially in high-performance driving while remaining comfortable for daily street driving. Microfiber suede seat inserts are optional and improve tactile
feel, as well as add additional support.

The new seats are complemented by the revised steering wheel, featuring model-specific badges, streamlined switch trim and wrapped spokes. Padded center console and armrests for
all models are now included for 2012. An additional visual touch inside the car is contrasting color stitching – in red, blue and yellow – which is available with the custom leather wrapped
interior.

Also coming in 2012 is a new Bose uplevel audio system, which includes nine speakers (compared to seven in 2011) for improved audio quality that is more precisely tuned to the
cabin’s acoustics. New tweeters located in the instrument panel and improved Bose Nd nextgeneration bass performance are the main benefits that Corvette drivers will hear.

A new Technology Package (2LT trim level) brings together many of the Corvette’s popular infotainment features and makes them available for more models. The package’s equipment
includes the navigation radio, head-up display, Bose premium audio system, Bluetooth wireless phone connectivity and a USB port.

Wrapping up the new features for 2012 is the availability for customers to select brake caliper colors, for more personalization of their Corvette. The calipers are offered in the red, yellow,
silver or gray.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

great read, thanks for posting, love the new updates, i like how GM is putting into the corvette what enthusiest are doing out of the gate with thier own cars, updated seats, better interior, personalization, looks like they are paying attentions to some of the feedback, good to see that happening..
Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Thaks for posting this edition of release information.

This clarifies the "new" close-ratio transmission that was debated after the first announcement.

As I said before, the 2010 ZR1 has the same gear ratios as the "new" upcoming close-ratio transmission!!! The 2012 ZR1 "standard" transmission will be modified to increase gas milage.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:10 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Old MH3 = new MH3.

ME2 = same ratio 1-4 and taller 5-6 as in MH3
Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Fichtner
Corvette Performance Reaches Higher in 2012

Interior enhancements, new performance packages highlight upgrades

DETROIT – Chevrolet announced today that it will once again elevate Corvette’s performance capabilities with a series of improvements for the 2012 model year that enhance on-track
performance and on-road comfort. They include enhancements to the high-performance Z06 and ZR1 models as well as interior upgrades across the Corvette lineup.

Sports car fans will get their first look at the 2012 models – including the racing-inspired appearance of the Chevrolet Centennial Edition – at a special event this weekend at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky. Production begins in July.

“We constantly strive to make the Corvette a better car on the road and the track,” says Tadge Juechter, Corvette vehicle line director and chief engineer. “For 2012, the Corvette lineup achieves its highest performance level ever, while at the same time being easier to drive an enjoy thanks to several changes and new features inside the car.”

New Michelin Cup ZP tires elevate Z06/ZR1 performance Corvette’s greater performance for 2012 begins with the new, optional Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires, which are available on the two highest-performing models, the lightweight, 505-hp (377 kW) Z06 and the maximum-performance, 638-hp (476 kW) supercharged ZR1. They are competition-oriented tires, optimized for warm, dry conditions to increase cornering and handling capability.
When combined with the Corvette’s exclusive Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology – which manages torque delivery for maximum performance – the tires are expected to help set new benchmarks for Corvette performance. Engineers estimate an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to more than 1.1g, and improved braking distance. Testing at Virginia International Raceway has demonstrated improvement of approximately three seconds per lap.

The Cup ZP tires were developed by the same Michelin engineers who develop tires for Corvette Racing in the American Le Mans Series and are essentially streetlegal versions of a racing tire. They are included in the optional Z07 performance package on the Corvette Z06 and a new PDE performance package on the ZR1. The 285/30-19 (front) and 335/25-20 (rear) tires are matched with all-new aluminum Cup-style wheels in satin black or machined finishes. They are about five pounds lighter (2.2 kg) and stronger than the 20-spoke wheel offered in 2011.

Performance Traction Management (offered on the Z06 for the first time in 2012) is an advanced system that optimizes traction for greater and more consistent on-track performance.
PTM also integrates traction control, active handling and selective ride control systems to enhance race track driving consistency and overall performance. When full throttle is applied upon exiting a corner, it automatically manages acceleration dynamics.

A full-width racing style spoiler for improved aerodynamics is also included in both the ’12 Z07 and PDE packages. The Z06 model will now offer Magnetic Selective Ride Control, the world’s fastest-reacting suspension technology – an innovation Corvette pioneered several years ago.

And as before, Brembo carbon ceramic brakes will be a part of the Z07 chassis package (they are standard on ZR1). Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires remain standard on the ZR1.

A carbon fiber hood will be an available option on 2012 Z06 models, while the standard manual transmission for ZR1 will include taller gearing in fifth and sixth gears, for a 2-mpg improvement
in highway fuel economy.

Interior and feature changes

All 2012 Corvette models will include a new seat design and a new steering wheel. The seats feature improved appearance and larger bolsters on the seat back and cushion areas, which
provide better driver support, especially in high-performance driving while remaining comfortable for daily street driving. Microfiber suede seat inserts are optional and improve tactile
feel, as well as add additional support.

The new seats are complemented by the revised steering wheel, featuring model-specific badges, streamlined switch trim and wrapped spokes. Padded center console and armrests for
all models are now included for 2012. An additional visual touch inside the car is contrasting color stitching – in red, blue and yellow – which is available with the custom leather wrapped
interior.

Also coming in 2012 is a new Bose uplevel audio system, which includes nine speakers (compared to seven in 2011) for improved audio quality that is more precisely tuned to the
cabin’s acoustics. New tweeters located in the instrument panel and improved Bose Nd nextgeneration bass performance are the main benefits that Corvette drivers will hear.

A new Technology Package (2LT trim level) brings together many of the Corvette’s popular infotainment features and makes them available for more models. The package’s equipment
includes the navigation radio, head-up display, Bose premium audio system, Bluetooth wireless phone connectivity and a USB port.

Wrapping up the new features for 2012 is the availability for customers to select brake caliper colors, for more personalization of their Corvette. The calipers are offered in the red, yellow,
silver or gray.
no talk of any increase in horsepower as they reference the 505 and 638 hp as currently exists today. The taller gears in 5th and 6th in the zr1 won't make acceleration in those gears in the big end of the MPH range as Zesty.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Now, when can we get those new wheels & tires?.....
Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
The taller gears in 5th and 6th in the zr1 won't make acceleration in those gears in the big end of the MPH range as Zesty.
All the other news sounds good except this....
Old 04-28-2011, 03:40 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Maybe was necessary to keep the gas guzzler tax the same?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:52 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,806 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by range96
Maybe was necessary to keep the gas guzzler tax the same?
Possibly, it'll be interesting to see if there's a difference in GG tax between the base and "performance" versions of the ZR1 for '12. I know were I buying new I'd jump at the chance for taller gearing, at least for 6th gear. Getting a MPG or 2 out of the car would help a lot in long trips.

The LS9's monstrous torque will more than make up for any short-comings the taller gearing will have while accelerating around a road course and whatnot. I'd totally be OK with that.

jas
Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

My generation of Viper has over-drive as 6th gear. Sure, I can get 22-24 MPG on the highway if a baby it and drive 60-80. But seriously, who buys these type of cars for fuel economy? Matter of fact, 5th gear is the top speed gear. I believe the latest Viper is not like this, as they changed the gear ratios for the better. But trust me, it is noticeable. The car falls off a good bit shifting into 5th. There is an aftermarket solution, but who wants to bother with that...

Now I'm not saying this will be the case with the ZR1, but my point is this.... If you're dropping 100K+ on an exotic sports car/toy, what is more important. Absolutely maximum performance with said engine/tranny (and still be reliable), or getting another 2 mpg? I know my answer. Even if it does mean a little more $$$ for the GG tax. This especially seems ironic when they're now offering MPSC tires (which is great IMHO). Bottom line - Anything GM does to take away performance in the ZR1 (or Z06) is a step in the wrong direction. I won't have an objection if they did this with the base C6, but not the ZR1. It will be interesting to see how this affects the 1-mile junkies...
Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jvp
Possibly, it'll be interesting to see if there's a difference in GG tax between the base and "performance" versions of the ZR1 for '12. I know were I buying new I'd jump at the chance for taller gearing, at least for 6th gear. Getting a MPG or 2 out of the car would help a lot in long trips.

The LS9's monstrous torque will more than make up for any short-comings the taller gearing will have while accelerating around a road course and whatnot. I'd totally be OK with that.

jas
When you are on the track do you use 5th or 6th gear very much?

I agree with you in wanting the millage increase with the top top gears but keeping everything else the same for the "performance gears. I reckon the taller two gears would help tire life considerably for long distance driving

Two bad the performance package will not get a chance to benefit from the taller 5th & 6th gear ratio.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
My generation of Viper has over-drive as 6th gear. Sure, I can get 22-24 MPG on the highway if a baby it and drive 60-80. But seriously, who buys these type of cars for fuel economy? Matter of fact, 5th gear is the top speed gear. I believe the latest Viper is not like this, as they changed the gear ratios for the better. But trust me, it is noticeable. The car falls off a good bit shifting into 5th. There is an aftermarket solution, but who wants to bother with that...

Now I'm not saying this will be the case with the ZR1, but my point is this.... If you're dropping 100K+ on an exotic sports car/toy, what is more important. Absolutely maximum performance with said engine/tranny (and still be reliable), or getting another 2 mpg? I know my answer. Even if it does mean a little more $$$ for the GG tax. This especially seems ironic when they're now offering MPSC tires (which is great IMHO). Bottom line - Anything GM does to take away performance in the ZR1 (or Z06) is a step in the wrong direction. I won't have an objection if they did this with the base C6, but not the ZR1. It will be interesting to see how this affects the 1-mile junkies...
It's not like you can't still get the old gear ratios.

Last edited by Kappa; 04-28-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

100%
Old 04-28-2011, 05:20 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

If you're dropping 100K+ on an exotic sports car/toy, what is more important. Absolutely maximum performance with said engine/tranny (and still be reliable), or getting another 2 mpg?
Because I use my car as a daily driver as well as a track terror, I like a well-rounded GT versus a mission-specific sports car. Eeking out a couple of MPG on a long trip will only help things like saving a little extra dough, as well as potentially getting me to my destination quicker; fewer fuel stops.

ETA: The other benefit during a longer trip, of course, is a quieter car. Knocking a couple hundred RPMs off the cruising speed will make for a slightly quieter engine and exhaust note, which makes for a slightly less-stressful trip.

jas

Last edited by jvp; 04-28-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:21 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Shurshot
When you are on the track do you use 5th or 6th gear very much?
I use 5th gear on Summit's big straight all the time. I only use 6th for the cool-down lap.

jas
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Another unknown at this point: will the max speed be reached in 5th or 6th with ME2. You know, for bragging rights (205mph).

My guess it will be still in 6th, although slightly lower than with MH3.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

5th gear is definitely needed at Pocono!

Get notified of new replies

To Press Release - 2012 Corvette

Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all the vids iv seen it always seemed that most of the compitition were all pretty close upto about 3/4's of a mile and then the Z always seemd to pull away
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kappa
It's not like you can't still get the old gear ratios.
Oops. I misread... If you can still get the old ratios, then I don't have a problem. As long as the buyer has the option.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take my current gear ratios and hopefully one set of the 2012 lighter wheels with Sport Cups, if you please. Five lbs reduction of unsprung weight (assuming similar tire weights) is notable. I really hope they will be testing this new combo at some tracks including Nurburgring. Of course, it will be a while I'm sure, before extra sets of these are available. I can wait - my car is a long term keeper and I do believe 2012 is the last of the C6s and the LS9 ZR1s. Would be nice to go out on with a bang (not the Mayan kind )

As for the extra mileage, if I was using mine as a daily driver, I would care, otherwise, not.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Press Release - 2012 Corvette