Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] E85 2010 ZR1 Corvette from LG Motorsports **745 rwhp**

Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default E85 2010 ZR1 Corvette from LG Motorsports **745 rwhp**

Hey guys,

Wrapping up a 2010 ZR1 here at the shop running on a number of different fuels. I thought you would be interested to see just what a fuel change can make on a car after increasing boost levels on it.

His package includes the following:
  • LG Super Pro 1 7/8" Exhaust
  • Stock ZR1 mufflers
  • LG 'Man ****' shift ****
  • LG Tilton Carbon clutch
  • Over drive balancer
  • LG ported LS9 blower housing and manifold
  • high flow blower snout
  • cold air inlet
  • 2.3" blower pulley
  • larger heat exchanger
  • larger injectors
  • stock short block
  • stock cylinder heads

Even on 93 octane pump fuel with the modifications we are gaining 95 RWHP and 150 RWTQ!! With a simple fuel and tune download you can add another 100 on both sides to that! So for those of you with access to E85, it shows what it can do to help out a boosted car as long as you have the need for the fuel change and can take full advantage of it.

Video's coming soon.

Last edited by Anthony @ LGMotorsports; 05-05-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 PM
CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My baby!

- Bryan
Old 05-05-2011, 03:19 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Very nice! What boost level is that at and was it the same boost for the 93 and E85? Those number E85 numbers are very similar to the Lingenfelter shop car that had similar mods but was running race fuel. I wonder what type of gains you could see on an otherwise stock ZR1 with just an E85 tune (and fuel)?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Wow...... That is impressive

Sorry for my ignorance but, what happens if you are somewhere needing fuel and E85 is not available ?... will 93 still work or can the tune be modified on the road by a hand held unit?

Or is there a lot more to it?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

The boost level was the same. I wasnt happy with the gains on pump gas for such a large investment, and race gas was really out of the question. E85 really answered the need for a quality fuel. I think that there as another 10-20 rwhp on pump gas, but Im a very conservative calibrator.

Were seeing 17 to 18 psi, spinning the blower to max speed, but not over driven.

As for gains on a stock engine, its not worth it without more boost. The stock lower, with any upper, is about the max on pump fuel. When you make the jump to the OD lower, you really need octane, or it suffers.

Louis
Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Wow...... That is impressive

Sorry for my ignorance but, what happens if you are somewhere needing fuel and E85 is not available ?... will 93 still work or can the tune be modified on the road by a hand held unit?

Or is there a lot more to it?
If Bryan gets caught with out E85, I will have a pump tune he can upload with a laptop. Im working on a hand held calibrator, so he doesn't have to have a laptop.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
If Bryan gets caught with out E85, I will have a pump tune he can upload with a laptop. Im working on a hand held calibrator, so he doesn't have to have a laptop.
That is outstanding

I am sure many will be looking forward to knowing more about how you would package this... such as price, and can you do this as a kit with a mail order tune for those who live far from you.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
My baby!

- Bryan
Glad we could finally get some numbers for ya. I know I've talked with you about it several times when you called the shop.

Unfortunately I was busy while Louis had her on the dyno and didn't get a video.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Put it on an iPhone than you can say: there is an app for that.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:01 PM
CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stars_Fan
Glad we could finally get some numbers for ya. I know I've talked with you about it several times when you called the shop.

Unfortunately I was busy while Louis had her on the dyno and didn't get a video.
Thanks! I'm pretty stoked. If you guys end up getting any vids of it at all in the mean-time I'd love to see some. No sweat if not. I'm just Anxious, that's all! haha. I'll be around soon enough to drive it. Hard watching these things develop from another continent. Should be back within a month or two... I appreciate everyone's patience with all my calls. All of you were very helpful, professional, and re-assuring.
You guys have the best job in the world....

- Bryan
Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 PM
CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Instructor

Originally Posted by range96
Put it on an iPhone than you can say: there is an app for that.
wouldn't that be awesome?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Z O SICK
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

93 Octane and all thoses mods, the #'s don't seem all that impressive to be honest. Is there a really a need to swap out the snout, Over drive balancer, ported LS9 blower housing and manifold? Again, not bashing in anyway. Just wondering. Just seems like a lot of mods for the power out put. However, the number on E85 are impressive!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Z O SICK
93 Octane and all thoses mods, the #'s don't seem all that impressive to be honest. Is there a really a need to swap out the snout, Over drive balancer, ported LS9 blower housing and manifold? Again, not bashing in anyway. Just wondering. Just seems like a lot of mods for the power out put. However, the number on E85 are impressive!
Isn't that about 200rwhp over stock without opening the short block? Pretty damn impressive to me.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 AM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 05-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Accessibility to E85 is the key ingredient here. For those living in the corn belt this could be the hot ticket. For others single digit millage calls for careful scrutiny of fuel availability.

IMO a held held tuner would be a must. If you have never driven a car with 750 to the ground you owe it to yourself to try it
Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 AM
CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Accessibility to E85 is the key ingredient here. For those living in the corn belt this could be the hot ticket. For others single digit millage calls for careful scrutiny of fuel availability.

IMO a held held tuner would be a must. If you have never driven a car with 750 to the ground you owe it to yourself to try it
Agreed.
I wanted to go the E85 route for the cooler temps and extra octane. I've got no problems with the lower mileage per fuel volume. It's inherent to going E85. Costs wise, it levels out with 93 pump in the end, aside from a slight increase in fuel-ups required to support the extra fuel volume.

Only issue I could see running into is if I travel much outside E85 fuel locations. But unless things change, there are already mandated corn fuel supply increases US-wide, so I don't think this will be a huge problem for many people. Especially if I can switch between E85 and 93 pump when I need to. I'll have to get more specifics on that hand-held. Can't be too hard.

- Bryan
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

E85 is incredible for boosted cars. So here's my question - What are the negatives, if any? It cost $3.45 in my area right now, and 93 octane is $4.25. So the slight decrease in MPG is offset by the price. That being said, my question is more concerned with driveability issues + engine longevity. It almost seems like a no-brainer to convert every boosted car to E85. Is it that easy, or are their things to be concerned about?

Get notified of new replies

To E85 2010 ZR1 Corvette from LG Motorsports **745 rwhp**

Old 05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
E85 is incredible for boosted cars. So here's my question - What are the negatives, if any? It cost $3.45 in my area right now, and 93 octane is $4.25. So the slight decrease in MPG is offset by the price. That being said, my question is more concerned with driveability issues + engine longevity. It almost seems like a no-brainer to convert every boosted car to E85. Is it that easy, or are their things to be concerned about?
I agree

It works equally well (or even better) in motors that are built with ultra compression such as 16:1. Now you talk about a motor that goes "snap crackle pop", nothing sounds like a high compression ethanol fueled motor.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z O SICK

It certainly wasnt impressive, which is why we even brought up the E85 potential. We learn more about these cars every day. What they can handle, what it takes to make power and what makes power.

I feel that 650 rwhp would of been possible on pure 93 pump, but it was stilll a limited power increase, due to the lack of anti-knock capability from 93 pump. This will be an issue with any ZR1 owner as they add boost.

We would run more boost/and or timing if we could keep Intake air temps down, but the heat exchangers are inefficient at this point. We have simply moved them out of their designed range.

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
The negatives of E85-
  • Decreased fuel mileage
  • the need for ethanol compatible fuel system parts- not an issue on todays vehicles
  • increased tire wear due to increased hp

Ive not done a mileage run yet in Bryans car, but I will soon.

We will probably convert Lou's car to E85, and port the blower and some of the other bits that were done to this car, and see if 800rwhp/900 rwtq is possible out of the stock blower.

Louis
Old 05-06-2011, 03:04 PM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

We will probably convert Lou's car to E85, and port the blower and some of the other bits that were done to this car, and see if 800rwhp/900 rwtq is possible out of the stock blower.

Louis
Geez... that's getting close to built-engine, twin-turbo car numbers, no?

Nice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] E85 2010 ZR1 Corvette from LG Motorsports **745 rwhp**