Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Trailering your ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Default Trailering your ZR1

I purchased a new enclosed trailer and will be using a winch to pull the car in. My question is what types/brand of straps are you using to connect under the car?
Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Michael ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

t straps fit into the slots on your car just like the factory intended
Old 05-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Michael ZR1
t straps fit into the slots on your car just like the factory intended
Thanks, for the reply
But what are t straps? I'm searching Jegs and such and dont seem to find anything
Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I pull my ZR1 onto Race Ramp Trailer Mates to raise it up off the ground so you can actually get under it to make attachments, then I use combination axle strap with wratchet tie down from Mac's custom tie downs to hold it down. They go around well and hold the car very secure. I like this because it is material against the frame and nothing metal to scratch things and it is very secure. I made the mistake of buying wheel nets (which I use on older corvettes and they are great), but there is no way to get them around the wide tires with no clearance on the ZR1.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 PM
pinoyZR1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I used 4 tire straps that use e tracks. Worked extremely well. No fuss, no messing with suspension parts. Just google tire straps. I think I paid 150 or so bucks. Well worth it. Happy trails
Old 05-23-2011, 07:16 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by pinoyZR1
I used 4 tire straps that use e tracks. Worked extremely well.
No offense meant, but one really must be careful when towing using tire straps. It generally isn't considered wise, at least with a Corvette.

To the OP, you want 4 of these for the frame of the car. Then 4 straps with come-alongs on them to buckle the car down to the trailer.

jas
Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
No offense meant, but one really must be careful when towing using tire straps. It generally isn't considered wise, at least with a Corvette.

To the OP, you want 4 of these for the frame of the car. Then 4 straps with come-alongs on them to buckle the car down to the trailer.

jas
Thanks
I got them ordered
Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Mike,

once you got the car on the ramp (drive it up) you can easily attach the J hooks and pull the car in with the winch. I've been using a winch for years now and it is the only way to go.

Unless you have an extended ramp (my Featherlite has them) you will be struggling for front clearance.

It takes a couple of times of loading/unloading before it becomes second nature. I could do it with my eyes closed now. My old car that is, the new one I haven't had the fortune of doing yet. This week. Got the Hoosiers on, have to heat cycle them, then load it for Memorial
Day at Poconos! I just have to work around all this rain.

I'll let you know about "short-cuts" once I did the ZR1.

Make sure you get enough tongue weight or you will get some nasty surprises once you hit 65 and let off the gas.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 AM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=range96;1577693875]Mike,

once you got the car on the ramp (drive it up) you can easily attach the J hooks and pull the car in with the winch. I've been using a winch for years now and it is the only way to go.

Unless you have an extended ramp (my Featherlite has them) you will be struggling for front clearance.

It takes a couple of times of loading/unloading before it becomes second nature. I could do it with my eyes closed now. My old car that is, the new one I haven't had the fortune of doing yet. This week. Got the Hoosiers on, have to heat cycle them, then load it for Memorial

QUOTE]

Got a couple questions about your technique

1. Why do you winch the car in? I just drive mine in and am not sure why you would need to winch it. The only reason I can think of and this might not be the case is so you can hook on the T hooks while it is on the ramps and therefore don't have to drive onto Race Ramps to pick the car up. Not sure if that is your reason, but I might stop the car on the ramp just to hook up and not use the race ramps.
2. I also have a featherlite and the ZR1 just barely fits between the wheel wells. I have been thinking about building or buying an aluminum ramp over because it is so close it seems inevitble that some day there will be a not so happy accident - about 4 inch clearance max to be split between both sides.
3. I have some T hooks, but have never used them - not real big on metal against metal. I use axle strap combo straps and put them around the stabilizers right by the bolts which is very sturdy.

Trailering is very much a mixed deal. Nice to have the protection and to be able to pull the car in if it storms, but loading and unloading is somewhat of a pain.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by range96
Mike,

Make sure you get enough tongue weight or you will get some nasty surprises once you hit 65 and let off the gas.
The "J" hooks where are you connecting them?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Operations
The "J" hooks where are you connecting them?
On the bottom side of the frame, the same spots that are used to jack the car up. You'll see 4 holes on the frame. That's where the hooks go.

jas
Old 05-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
On the bottom side of the frame, the same spots that are used to jack the car up. You'll see 4 holes on the frame. That's where the hooks go.

jas
Got it thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm out of town, and a friend og mine is putting ramps on my trailer for me, and he is asking for the distance from the middle of each rear tires, so he can center them.

I know that it is unlikly anyone might know but just incase, do you guys know what it is off hand?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 PM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm out of town, and a friend og mine is putting ramps on my trailer for me, and he is asking for the distance from the middle of each rear tires, so he can center them.

I know that it is unlikly anyone might know but just incase, do you guys know what it is off hand?
Have measurements from putting in E Track
Front 64.5" center to center of tires
Rear 63" center

If you are putting on ramps, you will need a ramp extension for the ZR1 or it will drag the splitter whenerver you load or unload.

Good luck
Old 05-24-2011, 10:43 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RobMorgan
Got a couple questions about your technique

1. Why do you winch the car in? I just drive mine in and am not sure why you would need to winch it. The only reason I can think of and this might not be the case is so you can hook on the T hooks while it is on the ramps and therefore don't have to drive onto Race Ramps to pick the car up. Not sure if that is your reason, but I might stop the car on the ramp just to hook up and not use the race ramps.
2. I also have a featherlite and the ZR1 just barely fits between the wheel wells. I have been thinking about building or buying an aluminum ramp over because it is so close it seems inevitble that some day there will be a not so happy accident - about 4 inch clearance max to be split between both sides.
3. I have some T hooks, but have never used them - not real big on metal against metal. I use axle strap combo straps and put them around the stabilizers right by the bolts which is very sturdy.

Trailering is very much a mixed deal. Nice to have the protection and to be able to pull the car in if it storms, but loading and unloading is somewhat of a pain.
1. I got tired of climbing out the window. I put the hooks in on the ramp which is easy.
2. Haven't had the ZR1 in yet, will do that later this week. My old ZR-1 fit in fine, never had to worry about clearance. The new car is wider, so I have to be careful. Not sure what you mean by ramp over. Do you mean to clear the trailer wheel wells? I have an enclosed trailer, do you?
I have the optional extended ramps (they fold out), best option I think.
3. Always used the hooks, no problems.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

The ramps are great, no need to mess around with boards, you'll like it.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:27 AM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by range96
2. Haven't had the ZR1 in yet, will do that later this week. My old ZR-1 fit in fine, never had to worry about clearance. The new car is wider, so I have to be careful. Not sure what you mean by ramp over. Do you mean to clear the trailer wheel wells? I have an enclosed trailer, do you?
I have the optional extended ramps (they fold out), best option I think.
3. Always used the hooks, no problems.
I had a 90 ZR-1 and the new ZR1 is significantly tigher in the trailer. It is so tight that I don't pull it in myself like I did with the old Z. By ramp over, I do mean a ramp that would bring the car up to the level of the trailer wheel wells so that there would not be a chance of hitting them. It would make the center of gravity higher, but I don't really think make much difference. I have an enclosed featherlite trailer also and the extended ramps, which I agree are the best option.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailering your ZR1

Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Making a ramp that tall will be a tall order. You need a ramp and a flat part that the car sits on. You probably wouldn't want the car sitting on an angle while in motion. The structure would have to support itself on the floor, couldn't/wouldn't want the sides to support it.

I would install a winch instead. It will pull in the car straight without worrying about the wheel wells. Regardless which way you go a winch is a good idea.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I actually do have a winch in the single car Featherlight, just have never used it to load, but will give it a try. I also have a 40' Featherlite that hauls two cars and am going to use it this weekend to take my ZR1 and a friends Z06 to the Texas Mile. Might try a winch strapped down just to see how I like it. I will be interested to see what you think about the ZR1 compared to older ZR-1 after you trailer it - i think you will find it a lot wider, but the winch may be the ticket.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone for your input, all good ideas

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Trailering your ZR1