Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Another Spring Mountian Review ! ( LONG )

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 AM
svoshop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Spring Mountian Review ! ( LONG )

It is not often that I write a review, and it is less often that I even feel compelled to take the time to sit and think about what it is that I want to write. However, that being said, here is the deal.

I went to SM on the week of the 19th -21st. I went with an open mind, but I also thought I knew how to drive. In Cincinnati, I am one of only a few people running around with ZR1's, Z06's, and an R8. Having fast cars, always translates into driving skill since I can run away from other cars at a stoplight. It is that whole turning thing I never gave attention to. I did not feel that I had any lack of ability in that department... Well, I was wrong.

On day one we met with Rick and his staff. We were greeted with high enthuasim and watched Rick bounce off the walls, walk in circles, and brag how he would learn all of our names in a day. His energy transferred to us, and before the first 15 minutes, the class was ready to go. We started with instruction, learing the basics of the car, the basics of the track, and an overview of what the class would consist of. Before we knew it, we were in a Corvette making our way to pratice heel toe shifting... A concept that I find myself doing now at home, just so I can get better at it for level 2. Day one flew by, and after some more class and lite driving, it was time to call it a day.

Day two really got us out on the track some. We were applying the skills that we learned on day one, and using them on the track. We had personal coaching from instructors every step of the way. If we did not have a pro actually in the car, it was just like we did, as the radio would call out our name, and let us know "GOOD JOB", or how to correct a mistake. Just after lunch, we were taken around the track by a pro driver. Just in case we thought we knew more than them, we were driven around the track in a manner that we could only hope to accomplish one day. The instructors showed us exactly why they do what they do, and proved that they knew their stuff. I was blow away from what that car would, and could do. It gave us all the confidence that we needed, to start going it alone on the track. After some more track time, and some final instruction, before we knew it, that day had come to an end.

Day three. Oh day three... Some final instruction laps in the morning. However, after lunch, it was wheel to wheel... Car to car... Open lapping. We all had a chance at each type of car; Grand Sport, Z06, ZR1... What an experience. We had all different skill levels on that track, all different ideas of what is fast and how fast we would go... I learned that day that indeed I can drive now. However, not near as good as I can and will, one day. I have alot to learn, and am anxious to do just that.

In closing of my very wordy review. I want to express to everyone who has the opportunity to do this, to do it. Donna was on me twice a week to set my appointment. I did not want to not be a work. I almost missed an opportunity of a lifetime. Rick and his crew were top notch. Very caring, and knew exactly how to communicate to us. My wife was a guest there, and received warm greetings from every person and crew member there. The on site arrangements were top shelf. From the lunch to the work out room, the cottages could not have been better. Maybe I was in a lucky group, but the class wanted to learn, and I feel that Rick picked up on that. I picked up so much more than I ever thought I would have. I was balance braking my Escalade on the way home from the airport.

If you have this opportunity. DO IT.

To Rick, and his crew. Thank you. Not only for taking the time for us, but for not holding back. If it was something that we need to know, you taught us. You were not scared to share your knowledge. It made for a great few days, and I can not wait to show you what I have learned and continued to pratice... When I see you for level 2.

Thanks.

Mike Yeager
Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 AM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,390 Likes on 682 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

After picking up my ZR1 at the NCM in Sept., and having built the engine, I have thought about going to the school. But now I am getting more and more uncertain. I will never be racing my car, or the other skills learned there (can't imagine a use for heel-toe shifting unless you race), and your description was very good of what goes on. Would this training have any practical everyday use?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
After picking up my ZR1 at the NCM in Sept., and having built the engine, I have thought about going to the school. But now I am getting more and more uncertain. I will never be racing my car, or the other skills learned there (can't imagine a use for heel-toe shifting unless you race), and your description was very good of what goes on. Would this training have any practical everyday use?
Any track experience is advisable. Increased car control and awareness of your surroundings can help you avoid an accident on the street.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:11 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Absolutely, 100%. Knowing more about the capability of your car will help you in an emergency situation. It will be instinctive.

I can take as much vacation as I want with my job, but I am very busy and the owner of company really leans on me to take care of stuff, so I basically don't take any vacation at all and if I do, it's for a few days (long weekend) to somewhere warm or scenic with my wife. So, I almost didn't take the 3 days off work to do Spring Mountain. That would have been a tragic mistake.

If you have any car enthusiast blood in your veins and you wouldn't buy a ZR1 if you didn't, YOU HAVE TO DO THE DRIVING SCHOOL. I highly recommend Spring Mountain. Top notch facility, even better instructors with Rick leading the charge, and overall it's just a 3 day blast. Skipping the driving school because of lack of time, logistics, thinking you don't need the teaching (I've driven aggressively at track days for 10+ years and still learned quite a bit), or you won't drive on the track at all would just flat be the wrong decision. You just have to do it and spend the little extra money and do the 3rd day if you have to pay for it. It's worth every penny.

I hope to get back there soon for Level 2. It being outside of Vegas means you need to fly in on Friday, party in Vegas Sat and Sun and then do the 3 day school M-W staying at the condos at the track (definitely stay at the condos). You won't soon forget the experience.

Good write-up, OP.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:22 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

svoshop,

Thanks for sharing your experience, I don't think it was too long at all! I'm scheduled to go in mid-April for the ZR1 school & I added the extra, third day. Reviews like yours are getting me more excited & I can't wait for that week to come.

Joe T

Last edited by jft69z; 12-23-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:35 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Trust me, Mike, you don't want to pass on this. Even if you are not going to track your ZR1, the experience of driving one flat-out (especially one belonging to someone else!) is something you will not soon forget.

Even if you just want to nail it on the staights and cruise in the turns, you've got to take advantage of this opportunity. If you don't, you'll never know what you missed. If you do go, you'll be glad you did!

I have no plans to ever track my ZR1 but couldn't wait to go to Spring Mountain based on the various threads I read on the topic. I had the time of my life and enjoyed it so much, I went back just for the third day again in October. It really is that good. Go for it!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:44 AM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up, OP.

As Corey and others have said, the Spring Mountain experience will teach you the basics of car dynamics, and it WILL make you a better driver. It will change the way you approach driving, whether on a track or going to the grocery store. Is it necessary? I guess the DMV's in the various states don't think so because they issue drivers licenses to folks who fling 4000 pound cars down the road with no concept of how to stop or turn them. But I think it's a pretty important, basic skillset that should be taught to every 16 year old who wants a drivers license. Not only for emergency situations, but for the pure pleasure of driving the car you own. You will never look at freeway on onramps or cloverleafs the same way. And you might just find that you're a latent track junkie.

I owe a lot to Rick. He coached me both in classes and in private instruction over the past 4 years. Most importantly, and whether it was intentional or not, he taught me how to teach myself to go faster.

Spring Mountain can be whatever you want it to be. For my wife, who took the 3 day Level 1 course and stopped there, it was a fun experience and taught her where to look, how to balance a car, and much more. For me, Level 1 was the beginning of a journey that so far has brought me back there 8 times, caused me to buy a race car, and taught me some of the basics of how to be competitive.

Spend the time and effort to get out there. You'll learn a lot about driving. And a lot about yourself.

Last edited by JDRacing; 12-23-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:57 AM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The track instruction group I work with routinely gets feedback from customers on how we saved their lives with the car control they learned and used in emergency situations. One lady brought her whole family back to the track after a close call so that they too could benefit.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:31 PM
0Mike@Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Great write up!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Hecks
Instructor

Default Hey Mike

Hey Mike. It was great to be there with you man. It hope we run into each other there again sometime. All the best and happy holidays.

Chris
Old 12-23-2011, 12:36 PM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously you enjoy high performance cars and driving or you would not have bought a ZR1 - you would have bought a Volt or a mini van. If you enjoy driving, you will love the Spring Mountain experience - and you get it for free with your ZR1 purchase. Go do it - you will have a blast regardless of your experience level. You learn a lot, but even if you don't care about that, just go have FUN!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:19 PM
LloydP
Racer

I think there are practical everyday uses. It is hard to explain but I feel much more comfortable with the car in everyday driving.

Don't forget the fun factor. The Fun of giggling to yourself while flingining their car around the track as fast as you can go. The fun seeing what the car can really do in the hands of a good driver. and don't forget the fun of hanging around with a bunch of other students that are just as much of car nuts as you are.

I didn't learn nearly enough the first time so I plan on going back this spring.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Nice write-up. Sorry I missed the fun but it sounds like ya'all had a great time. An interesting point from your post:

Originally Posted by svoshop
It is that whole turning thing I never gave attention to. I did not feel that I had any lack of ability in that department... Well, I was wrong.
This is something that becomes shocking to a lot of people that drive fast cars but who have never had training. We are taught to drive when we're teenagers, by well-meaning parents and sometimes high schools. But we're not trained. And unfortunately, most people go through life being completely ignorant of that fact.

To properly learn at an HPDE event, one must first unlearn potentially years of very bad driving habits that were picked up with no ill intentions whatsoever. It just happens to us all. When we're sat down in a car with a pro and brought around a track at speed, it's generally an eye-opener.

Fifteen years ago, I was right where you were, having driven fast (for the time) cars and thinking I was hot stuff behind the wheel. It was a very humbling experience to finally get on a track and find out just how bad I really was.

But man am I glad I did it. Probably about as glad as you are now. It's a great time, humbling, and instructive, all wrapped up in a neat package. Don't waste it now; find a local track and keep polishing your skills in your own car. It simply is THE most fun you can (legally) have with your pants still on.

jas
Old 12-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I heartily agree with all of the above, and similarly echo'd the OP's experience in my SM review back in late October...

mikelj, you absolutely must attend the driving school--you just do not know what you are missing. You are a performance
car guy from way back, just like so many of us...and now you also own the ultimate modern Corvette to boot !

I highly recommend SM, and definitely sign-up/pay for the 3rd day... everything comes together on the third day.

You will not regret the entire experience, or the life journey there/back.
The facilities are world class, and Rick Malone & his entire staff are top-notch in every respect...
Old 12-23-2011, 03:47 PM
svoshop
Burning Brakes

As others have said, do not think of this as a " How to beat on your car session. " It is about learning what your car can, and can not do. It is about getting comfortable with putting your car on the edge. It is about making friends with people you have never met. ( on that note, I am 32, and most of the class was older than me by at least 10 years... I found that everyone wanted to "play nice" with others. It was a great group )

If you can take the few days off. Go into this with an open mind, and spend all three days. I am balance braking my truck on the way to work. I heel toe shifted a clients VW yesterday... The class is worth the time and money spent. I was a real skeptic. Now, I am a real believer.

Just trust me. DO IT !

Mike
Old 12-23-2011, 04:23 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Awesome post mike! Thanks so much to gary09, mike, Lloyd, jdracing, Corey, jas, and all the others for posting about taking a driving school. We very much agree in that a school can save you in a variety of ways plus makes you a smoother, more controlled driver in lots of different situations! And it doesn't mean just in the vette either as the skill sets transfer to other vehicles as well. Like someone already said it's also a heck of a lot of fun!
Make the time to do it. you'll never regret it!
Cheers,
Vic
Old 12-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Mike,

I went and did the 3 days, I thought I had a pretty good handle on driving as I have drag raced much of my life. Boy what an experience SM was! If nothing else I was pretty sure I had a good idea on how anti lock brakes work, now I know what they do and how to use them. Just that exercise was worth it's weight in gold.

You have come this far don't a great opportunity get away. Go and do the third day, you will not regret it.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Spring Mountian Review ! ( LONG )

Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Couldn't agree more.....I'll be at SM for Level 3 in about 6 weeks!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 AM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,390 Likes on 682 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

OK, you all convinced me to do this, and I also will burnish the brakes on mine while I am there and use their track for it, no place around here to do such wild things. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Allzwell
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I'm about to get pushed over the edge as well.

I bought mine used so I was on the fence about going

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Another Spring Mountian Review ! ( LONG )