Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Maintenance for track events

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:18 PM
cflm3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance for track events

What maintenance is recommended before and after each track event?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I like to go in with fresh oil and change it again after. Make sure your clutch fluid looks fresh. And the most important is fresh DOT4 brake fluid. Lots of guys on here prefer Motul or SRF
Old 03-18-2012, 12:04 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Making sure the clutch fluid looks good is a good idea; follow Ranger's protocol on that one, and check brake pad thickness and tire condition. I personally find changing Castrol SRF once per season (10 track days or so) is enough. I follow the oil life on the DIC. I tend to change cars every 3 years or so, so I might be on the low side of what I do, but thankfully they are pretty robust cars.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:07 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vette ruminator
Making sure the clutch fluid looks good is a good idea; follow Ranger's protocol on that one, and check brake pad thickness and tire condition. I personally find changing Castrol SRF once per season (10 track days or so) is enough. I follow the oil life on the DIC. I tend to change cars every 3 years or so, so I might be on the low side of what I do, but thankfully they are pretty robust cars.
Nothing wrong with what you do sir. Its definitely a preference thing and the DIC calculator is pretty accurate in sense of when the oil needs to be changed.
I guess for myself I live by the whole oil is cheaper than motors lol
Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Here are the things I check before going to a track event:

General inspection of the suspension, control arm bushings, ball joint and tie rod boots/ends and sway bar end links and bushings.

Check to see if tie rods or wheel bearings have excessive play and whether the wheel bearings are making noise.

Install track pads or if using street pads check them for wear. Should have more than 50% pad material when starting a two day event. Check calipers for leaks and general condition and check the rotors for excessive wear, scoring and cracks.

Flush brake fluid if it has been a while (month) since I have been to the track. Otherwise just bleed each caliper.

Check wheels for cracks and check tires for wear. New tires can be a problem due to too much tread depth so don't start out on brand new street tires or you stand a chance of ruining them.

Check oil level and pressure (I use the engine oil life gauge to know when to change the oil). If it needs to be changed I change oil and filter.

Check coolant level and cooling system components for any signs of problems.

Check power steering fluid level and serpentine belt for condition.
Since I have a Z06 I make sure the rear tie rod end links are greased per the manual.

Check lug nuts to make sure they are installed to spec and make sure the tire pressures are set.

Check car for fluid leaks.

I change the diff fluid after each 24 hours of track usage.

I look at the clutch fluid but I haven't had a clutch fluid issue in the 15 years I have owned and tracked C5s and C6s so it doesn't bother me that it is black.

When I get home I pull the race wheels off and install the street wheels and tires. When I do that I check to make sure a rotor isn't cracked and I swap to street pads if I had installed track pads.

I clean the race wheels and tires and check the wheels for cracks and check the tires for damage or signs of cording.

I lube the rear tie rod end links.

I check the underside of the car to see if there were any engine oil, transmission fluid or diff fluid leaks.

I drive the car on the street while paying attention to all the noises it makes and to how it feels.

Bill
Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more simple one: torque your lug nuts before you go out, but not right after a run when they are very hot. Bad things can happen when the wheel starts coming loose!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 PM
thisismyusername
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Here are the things I check before going to a track event:

Bill
Awesome checklist, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
BlackC606
7th Gear

What is the foot pound spec for your lug nuts?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 AM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

100 ftlbs

Get notified of new replies

To Maintenance for track events

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Maintenance for track events