Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 out of box failure

Old 09-25-2011, 08:58 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default ZR1 out of box failure

Well, the time came for me to visit a dealership for a warranty repair with my brand new 2010 ZR1 with less than 30 miles on the clock. I haven't had to visit dealer for anything other than an oil change for any Corvette I've owned thus far so this was going to be a new experience for me.

The problem that faced me seemed rather minor, it was the suspension control ****. It was only illuminating in performance traction mode and not for selective ride tour/sport mode which is the startup default. Although this seemed like a small problem, it involved my brand new 2010 ZR1 which is the most expensive car that I've purchased to date.

Before I decided where to bring my car I had to speak to a competent technician that I would feel comfortable leaving my ZR1 with. I visited 3 South Florida dealerships to speak to their "lead" Corvette technicians and the 1st two were a joke. My 3rd try was the last visit I'd have to make. The tech's name is Jamie that I found through the forum, screen name (Smoove). He's not only very competent, but also has a demeanor that makes you feel comfortable when speaking with him. Jamie truly seems to care about your car's problem and reassures you that it will be taken care of "carefully" and "professionally". He patiently listened to all the info I had about the problem, and asked a few questions himself to prepare for the fix. At that point we setup the appointment to bring it in.

I made my way to the dealership first thing in the morning to Vera Cadillac in Pembroke Pines Florida where I was met by Jamie. He took my car in and quickly determined it was not the suspension control **** but the Suspension Control Module which is located in a most difficult spot behind the passenger side inner fender well. He explained that the fender and side skirt will probably have to be removed to get at the module, but not to worry, it would not be a problem. I wasn't too thrilled about my new ZR being disassembled but what can you do?...

The part was ordered and I was scheduled to come in a week later.

I was again met by Jamie in the a.m. and he got right to work. He confirmed that it would be a while because the fender and skirt did indeed have to come off. The service manager (Darrell) graciously offered to give me a loaner while, in his words, my "prize" was being worked on. I was pleasantly surprised by his offer and accepted so that I didn't have to tie up the rest of my day sitting in the waiting room. The loaner was brand new loaded Buick Enclave!!!...(nice) I went on my way and within 3 hours I received a call that my car was ready.

The car was fixed "flawlessly" thanks to Jamie...

As an aside, Jamie is very well versed in SC'ed and TC'ed cars as he is the man to see for aftermarket installations, also warranty repairs of Vera's CTS-V's. He owns a TT C5 with 700+ hp that he engineered and built himself. Also the General Manager of the dealership (John) owns a Pontiac Trans Am with a naturally aspirated LS7-R crate engine that he's personally done 10.7's in. It's pretty cool knowing that there are many employees at Vera that are car guys/motor heads, and they actually care!!!

Conclusion:
South Florida dealership for warranty repair, Vera Cadillac and Jamie = WIN/WIN!!!...

Before fix...

After fix...

Last edited by 3LZZ06; 09-26-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

EXCELLENT!!!

Good to hear that you found a dealership with real Vette guys!!!

Unfortunately many just don't see enough Vettes to be knowledgeable and experienced on them - especially the ZR1.

Glad you had a good experience.

Bob
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 AM
timvette7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you found some good guys to work on your ZR. I myself had problems with my 10' ZR1 that I've only had about a month and was fortunate enough to find a dealership with a corvette tech nearby to work on mine that really cares. Similar problem right out of the gate but my supension **** was'nt working at all due to the bonehead dealer that I bought it from out of state didn't hook it back up when they installed the PAL which I just found out that they also didn't even program the PAL into the nav/radio so I have to go back to get the competent dealership to fix that. Anyway, hopefully you want have to go back to the dealership for anything else except oil changes. Have fun with your car. If you're like me you find longer ways home just to spend more time driving it.

Regards,

Tim
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I like stories with happy endings !!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm glad you were able to find someone who could do your repair, and do it right. I find it strange that the great ZR1 mechanic you found is at a Cadillac dealership here in Pembroke Pines.

I got mine thru Tropical Chevrolet in Miami Shores, but a friend of mine got his at Ed Morse at Sawgrass and swears his guy can jump thru rings of blazing fire.

Mine hasn't needed anything but an oil change so far, so I'm super happy!

Happy motoring my friend.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by etmaguire

I'm glad you were able to find someone who could do your repair, and do it right. I find it strange that the great ZR1 mechanic you found is at a Cadillac dealership here in Pembroke Pines.
...But a good mechanic is a good mechanic no matter what dealership they happen to work for.

I got mine thru Tropical Chevrolet in Miami Shores, but a friend of mine got his at Ed Morse at Sawgrass and swears his guy can jump thru rings of blazing fire.
I met the guy at Ed Morse. I thought he was too young to have already graduated high school but he also seemed very good.

The mechanic I used and he know each other...makes sense.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by ufaj26
I like stories with happy endings !!!!
Me 2
Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Well, the time came for me to visit a dealership for a warranty repair with my brand new 2010 ZR1 with less than 30 miles on the clock. I haven't had to visit dealer for anything other than an oil change for any Corvette I've owned thus far so this was going to be a new experience for me.

The problem that faced me seemed rather minor, it was the suspension control ****. It was only illuminating in performance traction mode and not for selective ride tour/sport mode which is the startup default. Although this seemed like a small problem, it involved my brand new 2010 ZR1 which is the most expensive car that I've purchased to date.

Before I decided where to bring my car I had to speak to a competent technician that I would feel comfortable leaving my ZR1 with. I visited 3 South Florida dealerships to speak to their "lead" Corvette technicians and the 1st two were a joke. My 3rd try was the last visit I'd have to make. The tech's name is Jamie that I found through the forum, screen name (Smoove). He's not only very competent, but also has a demeanor that makes you feel comfortable when speaking with him. Jamie truly seems to care about your car's problem and reassures you that it will be taken care of "carefully" and "professionally". He patiently listened to all the info I had about the problem, and asked a few questions himself to prepare for the fix. At that point we setup the appointment to bring it in.

I made my way to the dealership first thing in the morning to Vera Cadillac in Pembroke Pines Florida where I was met by Jamie. He took my car in and quickly determined it was not the suspension control **** but the Suspension Control Module which is located in a most difficult spot behind the passenger side inner fender well. He explained that the fender and side skirt will probably have to be removed to get at the module, but not to worry, it would not be a problem. I wasn't too thrilled about my new ZR being disassembled but what can you do?...

The part was ordered and I was scheduled to come in a week later.

I was again met by Jamie in the a.m. and he got right to work. He confirmed that it would be a while because the fender and skirt did indeed have to come off. The service manager (Darrell) graciously offered to give me a loaner while, in his words, my "prize" was being worked on. I was pleasantly surprised by his offer and accepted so that I didn't have to tie up the rest of my day sitting in the waiting room. The loaner was brand new loaded Buick Enclave!!!...(nice) I went on my way and within 3 hours I received a call that my car was ready.

The car was fixed "flawlessly" thanks to Jamie...

As an aside, Jamie is very well versed in SC'ed and TC'ed cars as he is the man to see for aftermarket installations, also warranty repairs of Vera's CTS-V's. He owns a TT C5 with 700+ hp that he engineered and built himself. Also the General Manager of the dealership (John) owns a Pontiac Trans Am with a naturally aspirated LS7-R crate engine that he's personally done 10.7's in. It's pretty cool knowing that there are many employees at Vera that are car guys/motor heads, and they actually care!!!

Conclusion:
South Florida dealership for warranty repair, Vera Cadillac and Jamie = WIN/WIN!!!...
]

My man, Scott, thank you for saying the kind words about myself and my place of work for nearly 9 years. I truly have a passion for The automobile, especially anything performance related...and that goes TRIPLE for GM products. Having grown up with Corvettes(C2's-C4's-C5's-C6's), owning a couple in my day, I know what it's like to own one, and appreciate the experience that goes along with it. To find someone that takes pride in they're work these days, especially in the dealership side of the automotive field, is priceless. Believe me I know. I do indeed love my job. I won't get rich off of it but, the data I acquire from each vehicle sticks to me like glue and I apply it to the next vehicle, and my own.

It was truly my pleasure to work on your vehicle. The "clock" only paid just over an hour for the repair but, I don't think it would have been fare to BLAST through a job like that, to try and beat a clock. I rarely do because I am usually working on the CTS-V's which in my mind, also require "special attention to detail." That detail comes at a cost to me but, if I can insure your car and others are being cared for as if they are a diamonds,...hopefully I will always have a job and someone as appreciative as you are for caring for it.

Again, my pleasure and thank you for the mention.

Jamie Wells

Mine hasn't needed anything but an oil change so far, so I'm super happy!

Happy motoring my friend.
lol, I hear you. Being part of "The Players Group".... I work on a lot of high end cars whenever needed... you can say I am a Corvette/Maserati/Maybach/Cadillac/Ford/Viper/whatever/ tech lol. It all depends on the day to be honest. I take a lot of pride in all the cars, and I would be happy to work on anything thats got a personality. Not really into the honda side of the hemisphere if you know what I mean but,...i'd be lying if I said I didn't dable.

I do not know who is working at tropical as the vette tech, I wanna say I do but,..not 100% sure. I more then likely went to school with them years ago,...a place were I am well remembered as a true GEARHEAD. Just ask my teacher lol. Ed morse, he is a VERY smart technician, and a friend of mine. I also went to school with him, and he is a very cool, knowledgeable guy. Haven't seen him in years however, I do work on a few cars that have gone to THAT dealership for work in the past.

Cadillac, as you know, with the LS6 first gen V,...got into the LSX world,.. which was like feeding me a prime rib at work every day. When the 2nd gen came out, it was like Prime Rib with a smoking hot date sitting across from you. As you know the powerplants share similarities, and the Cadillac Prestige, ranks up there with the royality of the ZR1. So, the care that goes into one, goes into the other.

...But a good mechanic is a good mechanic no matter what dealership they happen to work for.

I met the guy at Ed Morse. I thought he was too young to have already graduated high school but he also seemed very good.

The mechanic I used and he know each other...makes sense

True.

We do have several awesome mechanics, that show a lot of pride as well. Without they're help sometimes, I would be spinning my wheels. A good shop, feeds off each other, helping others when needed. Everyone at my shop, is always willing to assist. That makes my life easier, as we have a good relationship in our place. Lol, Casey does look young but, he really is a smart kid.

Thanks again for your kind words guys, it's been a pleasure.

Jamie
Old 09-26-2011, 08:02 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Smoove

My man, Scott, thank you for saying the kind words about myself and my place of work.
You and Vera have earned the kind words my friend...
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

You and Vera have earned the kind words my friend...

Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
EXCELLENT!!!

Good to hear that you found a dealership with real Vette guys!!!

Unfortunately many just don't see enough Vettes to be knowledgeable and experienced on them - especially the ZR1.

Glad you had a good experience.

Bob
Old 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM
ncc
Heel & Toe

Well with 1100 miles on my 2010 my suspension control **** isn't working
I am located in Houston Tx and need to find a dealership that is capable of fixing.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ncc
Well with 1100 miles on my 2010 my suspension control **** isn't working
I am located in Houston Tx and need to find a dealership that is capable of fixing.
Thanks,
Jeff
Well, the problem is one of two things, either the control **** is disconnected under the console (easy fix) or it's a faulty suspension control module (not so easy).

Check the connection of the control **** first. If your car has a PAL installed, the dealership's tech may not have connected it very well after the installation. Unfortunately that was not the case with mine.

Here's a picture of my car disassembled with the control module exposed (just behind the front wheel area)...

I was fortunate enough to have a great tech and dealership take care of it flawlessly...

Last edited by 3LZZ06; 10-16-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 PM
ncc
Heel & Toe

Well, the problem is one of two things, either the control **** is disconnected under the console (easy fix) or it's a faulty suspension control module (not so easy).

Check the connection of the control **** first. If your car has a PAL installed, the dealership's tech may not have connected it very well after the installation. Unfortunately that was not the case with mine.

Here's a picture of my car disassembled with the control module exposed (just behind the front wheel area)...

I was fortunate enough to have a great tech and dealership take care of it flawlessly...

Got any pics/instructions on how to check the switch in the console?
PAL?
Thanks for the advise !
Old 10-16-2011, 08:57 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ncc
Got any pics/instructions on how to check the switch in the console?
PAL?
Thanks for the advise !
Take your center armrest off (4 torx screws). Then unsnap your ebrake boot (pull straight up to un-clip 2 clips). Look towards the front of your ebrake and you will see two 7mm head screws that fasten the passenger trim piece to console, remove them. The last two torx screws are behind two grommets on the face of your console (in the armrest compartment). Remove them and the rest of the console is just clipped in. Start closest to you where the torx screws were removed, gently lifting up on the console. You won't have to lift it much to see if the connector for the **** is disconnected.

This whole process won't take more than 10 minutes if you have 7mm socket and a #15 or #20 torx socket.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ncc
PAL?
PAL is a "Personal Audio Link" that would have been a dealer installed option as an ipod adapter. The console would have had to have been removed, and maybe the connector was not installed correctly when reassembled.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Good to know some dealerships care about doing the job right.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 out of box failure

Old 10-17-2011, 05:17 AM
The running man
Racer

This is one of the most refreshing posts I've seen in months. With all the dealership horror stories that pop up every week it is nice to know that there are still some good dealerships out there.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 AM
narush
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great story indeed, and what makes it even better is the mechanic was humbled enough to comment as well
Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by narush
Great story indeed, and what makes it even better is the mechanic was humbled enough to comment as well

I should also point out that he's the one that took the pictures of the car while in the process of the repair, not me.

I was happy he did so that I have a little history of the repair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 out of box failure