Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] TPMS Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 AM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS Scanner

Another interesting track weekend. Doing my usual smooth, non shuffle steer, laps showing a guy the track who's taking delivery of a ZL1 Camaro this week. Even with all aids turned off, suddenly the stability control goes crazy and I limp into the pits. Turns out a TPMS sensor shows failed and the computer assumes a flat tire and won't let you turn at more than 20 MPH. I shut down and power back up to no avail. A Vette buddy says he has a TPMS scanner and can reset them on the spot, so I leave the key in the cupholder and head out riding with a student. When I return, the sensors are reset but somehow the car has locked itself with the key still inside. OnStar expired 6 mo ago and can't be reactivated unless I'm in the car. AAA says they don't have the capability to unlock the car. My spare key is 400 miles away. Finally, the second OnStar person I contact connects me with Chevy roadside assistance who has to call 10 shops before they find one that can handle this on a Saturday evening. The guy was like a neurosurgeon with his tools and I was back in business. So, from now on the key stays in my pocket and the spare key will be in my motel room. The TPMS reset solved the problem, as I ran hard all the next day without incident. I would like to get one of those cheap scanners, but didn't get the brand name from the guy at the time. Anyone know what it might be? All it does is reset the TPMS sensors.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Another interesting track weekend. Doing my usual smooth, non shuffle steer, laps
If they were non-shuffle, they weren't smooth. Eat it.

Anyone know what it might be? All it does is reset the TPMS sensors.
I have a Bartec, but it was about $400 when I bought it back in '07 and not what I'd call "cheap". As it turns out, you don't need it with your 2010 car. Just put the car in learn mode (Accessory mode on, hold LOCK/UNLOCK on the fob at the same time till the horn honks). From there, starting at the driver front and going clockwise around the car, either add 5-10PSI in or let 5-10PSI out of each tire. When the horn honks, you're done with that tire. The horn will honk twice when you're done, completely.

You can buy a tool if you want, but save your money for shuffle steering lessons.

jas
Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Another interesting track weekend. Doing my usual smooth, non shuffle steer, laps showing a guy the track who's taking delivery of a ZL1 Camaro this week. Even with all aids turned off, suddenly the stability control goes crazy and I limp into the pits. Turns out a TPMS sensor shows failed and the computer assumes a flat tire and won't let you turn at more than 20 MPH. I shut down and power back up to no avail. A Vette buddy says he has a TPMS scanner and can reset them on the spot, so I leave the key in the cupholder and head out riding with a student. When I return, the sensors are reset but somehow the car has locked itself with the key still inside. OnStar expired 6 mo ago and can't be reactivated unless I'm in the car. AAA says they don't have the capability to unlock the car. My spare key is 400 miles away. Finally, the second OnStar person I contact connects me with Chevy roadside assistance who has to call 10 shops before they find one that can handle this on a Saturday evening. The guy was like a neurosurgeon with his tools and I was back in business. So, from now on the key stays in my pocket and the spare key will be in my motel room. The TPMS reset solved the problem, as I ran hard all the next day without incident. I would like to get one of those cheap scanners, but didn't get the brand name from the guy at the time. Anyone know what it might be? All it does is reset the TPMS sensors.
I sell and stock the Katech version and it is a fraction of the cost Bartec wants for theirs.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:27 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to shuffle steer many years ago, before I knew what I was doing.
Originally Posted by jvp
If they were non-shuffle, they weren't smooth. Eat it.
You can buy a tool if you want, but save your money for shuffle steering lessons.

jas
Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I used to shuffle steer many years ago, before I knew what I was doing.
And you've since forgotten? Is that your excuse?

jas
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I use this one. http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...toring+Systems

$80.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

And here's one for $62.33:

http://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com...s.aspx?id=5677

Bob
Old 06-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,925 Likes on 5,331 Posts

I handle the key fob issue by placing it in the cup holder and leaving the windows open and I also have the other fob in the tow truck. I like to leave the fob in the car just in case something happens on track where I may be removed from the car and the track workers need to move it off the track or open it without issue.

The solution to the tp sensor is a little harder to solve since the sensor may fail even after the car is reprogrammed. Earlier this year my left front sensor started going bad and it would work for 5 to 8 laps after reprogramming. I did find the car will let you run as fast as you want with a flat tire as long as it is in a straight line. Anytime I entered a turn or was in a turn when the sensor failed the car would apply the brakes and slow down to 55 mph. That did cause some dangerous moments when the car suddenly applied the brakes going through T4 at the Glen at 120 with a BMW on my tail. Still don't know how he avoided hitting me.

Bill
Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
....Earlier this year my left front sensor started going bad and it would work for 5 to 8 laps after reprogramming. I did find the car will let you run as fast as you want with a flat tire as long as it is in a straight line. Anytime I entered a turn or was in a turn when the sensor failed the car would apply the brakes and slow down to 55 mph.....

Bill
Whenever I go on a road trip or to the track I always take both fobs and a couple extra keys completely separate from the fobs - one key is always in my wallet.

As far as the sensors, I've had the same thing that you experienced - and it's unsafe on the track with traffic behind you going into a turn!!!

Like you say, if the car is going straight it will let you accelerate, but in my case, when trying to accelerate out of a turn, the throttle was completely dead until the lateral G/yaw rate was zeroed out, and only then would it respond to the throttle.

very unsafe when the car starts doing stuff that both you and the car behind you don't expect!!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Scanner

Quick Reply: [ZR1] TPMS Scanner