Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
Wait... it was a Yellow ZR1! Anyone hear from Kyle lately? Is having drugs in your tail lights still considered stock for the fast list? I will have to think about this.
New meaning to "pushing weight"...
Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 PM
mourat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the idea of using a ZR1, I have no comment on drug dealers etc... but to have a ZR1 just sitting there, no way i'd cry.

Also, its funny about the gas, those crown vics probably eat more gas, and sits two? usually there is only 1 or 2 officers riding at any given time, nothing can run from this thing, and the maintenance it probably less than FORDS lol.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Corvette Mike Ca

I have been told cops are informed to leave their cars running rather than turn them off. Not sure why, but they must have a reason.
I was told once by EM that the reason they leave them is so there is a less of chance of it not starting. They are always ready to go. It mostly applies to the winter months so the engine is already warm and ready for fast driving. However, I am not sure how that works for the summer. Anyone else thinking overheating issues?

I would like to see how much MPG the cop cars get. With those higher end engines, I would imagine it is not great.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 PM
C6LS3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its pretty cool that they are using this car! the officer that drives it is sooo lucky!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Hazard of the profession - drug dealing, that is.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Cool car!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Some people have nothing else better to do! Buddy of mine just told me yesterday, he is LEO, that someone sat outside a fast food restaurant and timed an officer that left his car outside running. The person then called the police dept to report the officer. Nothing else better to do CLEARLY!

I have been told cops are informed to leave their cars running rather than turn them off. Not sure why, but they must have a reason. As the car uses less than 1 gallon per hour idling, or so I have been told, the cost for 30 minutes is less than $1.50 as there is no tax on their gas. I think there are better ways to save a buck
Originally Posted by gonabite
Every agency has different policy's on this. The reason some are told to leave them running come from the days of not so dependable starters. Better to have the car running and burn a little fuel than to have an emergency and not be able to start the car.

The public in that town obviously doesn't see the positive side of having a car like this represent their department. Some kids who may be on the fence of being delinquents see an officer doing public events or even driving in their neighborhood may think that being a cop can be a cool thing and that the police aren't the enemy. Cars have a way of impressing kids that can really change their future. ( I know this first hand).
Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I was told once by EM that the reason they leave them is so there is a less of chance of it not starting. They are always ready to go. It mostly applies to the winter months so the engine is already warm and ready for fast driving. However, I am not sure how that works for the summer. Anyone else thinking overheating issues?

I would like to see how much MPG the cop cars get. With those higher end engines, I would imagine it is not great.
New York LEOs don't turn their cruisers off ever. It takes too damn long for the computer to reboot and connect.

Originally Posted by mourat
I like the idea of using a ZR1, I have no comment on drug dealers etc... but to have a ZR1 just sitting there, no way i'd cry.

Also, its funny about the gas, those crown vics probably eat more gas, and sits two? usually there is only 1 or 2 officers riding at any given time, nothing can run from this thing, and the maintenance it probably less than FORDS lol.

Right. And they're not exactly putting a ton of miles on it anyways. It's a promotional vehicle. They drive it to and from schools and in parades. Some people just see something they can't have and immediately decide that that's reason to bitch and moan.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by gonabite
Cars have a way of impressing kids that can really change their future. ( I know this first hand).
Do you mind sharing what car changed your life and how?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
It is a well known fact that most journalist and their employers don't report on facts... Lol
Originally Posted by bobafett
so true....just whatever sells their papers....
Yeah, why let the facts get in the way of a good story? Accurate reporting by the news media is, unfortunately, a thing of the past.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

If a tax payer in the community I'd be less concerned about upkeep and expenses involved in that than I would the idea that this car could have been sold and he money raised might have been more effectively used.

The idea of this car sitting around seems stupid to me. I seriously doubt the "deterrence value" here as the best option. I'm relatively sure the selling price of this used ZR1 would have raised enough cash to pay for a fully functional, brand new, working cruiser on the street.

Seems like a far better path to me for both the local PD and the tax payers.

A flashy Corvette in a parking lot may look better but if it's really a "deterrence" you want it's a bad joke vs a real Police car out on the street patrolling the neighborhood.

It's just my opinion but this ZR1 should have been sold.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Krystal
Read the article, they are going to sell it. They are just getting some publicity out of it first. I see no harm in that.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You think she is dumb, check out the story that CBS is telling here: http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1887...ments-corvette

Notice it is a 2008 ZR1

Lol. Saw that too, a 2008 ZR1

Bunch of ignorant people. Car gets attention and sends a message. Just because its a corvette doesnt meen it guzzles gas. Hell it gets better fuel mileage than 80% of cars on the road prob.

Lastly, can you blame the dept? Looks like a great reason to put it to good use.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:05 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If a tax payer in the community I'd be less concerned about upkeep and expenses involved in that than I would the idea that this car could have been sold and he money raised might have been more effectively used.

The idea of this car sitting around seems stupid to me. I seriously doubt the "deterrence value" here as the best option. I'm relatively sure the selling price of this used ZR1 would have raised enough cash to pay for a fully functional, brand new, working cruiser on the street.

Seems like a far better path to me for both the local PD and the tax payers.

A flashy Corvette in a parking lot may look better but if it's really a "deterrence" you want it's a bad joke vs a real Police car out on the street patrolling the neighborhood.

Obviously someone didn't read the article.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Obviously someone didn't read the article.
No......I read it!

What's with the expense of the paint job?

Where is the good sense in that?

Color me skeptcal.

If it'd been my decision the car would have gone straight to auction.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:32 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

No......I read it!

What's with the expense of the paint job?

Where is the good sense in that?

Color me skeptcal.

If it'd been my decision the car would have gone straight to auction.
Really you read it, because your comprehension is not that great. It was not painted it is just a wrap. Yes there is some cost to that too ,unless they go it donated, but it is small and most likely part of their publicty budget. Also, the article stated that all they have paid for so far is gas.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Krystal
Race Director

Really you read it, because your comprehension is not that great. It was not painted it is just a wrap. Yes there is some cost to that too ,unless they go it donated, but it is small and most likely part of their publicty budget. Also, the article stated that all they have paid for so far is gas.
My reading comprehension and eye sight are having a conflict here.

I "read" the part that says it's just a wrap........but can't comprehend the part my eyes see in the picture .......a picture that does have what looks like lettering and badging that may be a "wrap" thing but that sure looks like Silver Paint to me......or is the idea of a "wrap" so complete it covers the whoe car?

Maybe I am completely wrong here and if so I'm not sure where I got it so wrong. Wasn't this a yellow car when they picked it up?

Last edited by Krystal; 06-28-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 PM
CWGrizzwold
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't the first instance of this. When I lived in Raleigh the Wake County Sheriff's Office confiscated a 2007 Z06 but they actually used the car for busting speeders and making drug busts. It made a bunch of public appearances too.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video...2/#/vid5627632

The county will sell the car after they get some use out of it and the money from the sale will go to Wake County Public Schools.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine

Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

or is the idea of a "wrap" so complete it covers the whoe car?
Yes you can do wraps that cover the whole car and make a full color change. Many of the cars that you see that are rolling ads are wrapped.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:48 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't have a problem with police confiscating drug dealers' cars. More power to them. I'm just wondering, if the owner of the car has a loan on the car, what happens with the bank that loaned the money? Are they just out of luck? Anyone know how this works?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My reading comprehension and eye sight are having a conflict here.

I "read" the part that says it's just a wrap........but can't comprehend the part my eyes see in the picture .......a picture that does have what looks like lettering and badging that may be a "wrap" thing but that sure looks like Silver Paint to me......or is the idea of a "wrap" so complete it covers the whoe car?

Maybe I am completely wrong here and if so I'm not sure where I got it so wrong. Wasn't this a yellow car when they picked it up?
Yes you can do wraps that cover the whole car and make a full color change. Many of the cars that you see that are rolling ads are wrapped.
Thanks for finally getting on board now Krystal.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Corvette ZR1, A Drug Fighting Super Machine