Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Battery Disconnect and plug-in battery charger

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:31 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,390 Likes on 682 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Default Battery Disconnect and plug-in battery charger

I want to put a battery disconnect on my 2012 ZR1, the simple one with the green **** and a low amp bypass wire to keep the electronics set (like windows, etc.) when I need to use the disconnect to satisfy fire code regs for indoor shows. The question is, has anyone put one on, and can you keep from having the system go down if you have the battery protection package plug-in unit plugged in while you put the switch on the negative post of the battery in the rear? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:30 PM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience with indoor car shows is that they allow you to leave the battery connected when the car has electronics that require it. I am sure that is not always true, but it is a pain in the xxx when you lose power on a ZR1.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:30 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RobMorgan
My experience with indoor car shows is that they allow you to leave the battery connected when the car has electronics that require it. I am sure that is not always true, but it is a pain in the xxx when you lose power on a ZR1.
This is in Frisco, Texas Convention Center, and apparently they require a battery disconnect or you can't get inside. I have heard that the only thing that will go out if battery is disconnected is the power window setting, so they have to be indexed again. I see nothing else in the OM about anything to reset after changing a battery, for instance. I had thought maybe the plug-in Battery Protection Package unit, if left plugged in, would allow me time to connect the battery disconnect switch to the negative battery post, it has a low amp wire bypass that even when turned off, allows electricity to keep everything going, but can't be started, which is what the fire department is worried about, as well as a high amp short that could cause a fire.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:43 PM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You also lose all your personalized settings like seat location and anything else that you set. I have no idea if the tender wire will keep these settings. It has been a couple years, but I lost battery several times and it was always a pain - so I started keeping a battery tender on the battery since and have had no problems.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,210 Posts

OnStar cycles on and off for a long time (I think up to 2 days if my memory serves me right) and it draws surprisingly high current. Other systems may have even higher draw until they time out (for a much shorter period). These may prevent your ability to use successfully the Plug-in Battery Protection package.

If you do disconnect the battery, things can be reset, it's not the end of the world. I think you need to reset the steering as well.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ OnStar recently informed me that their "module" is active for 5 days before shutting down to limit battery drain...
Old 09-02-2012, 09:39 AM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

With all those things drawing juice, I better make sure the bypass wire fuse is big enough to handle it. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Disconnect and plug-in battery charger

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Battery Disconnect and plug-in battery charger